Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

will wilkins quit if hammond leaves

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would also point out that in 1965 when we were in the lowest division of the Football League, probably before you were thought of, we signed the current England Centre Forward from Tottenham, who 3 months earlier had scored the winnmer for England at Wembley, Bobby Smith.

In football it is not what you know but who you know, when it cames to wheeling and dealing in the transfer market. But then knowing everything about football you will know that wont you.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Having heard Dick Knight moan privately about team selections, I think people are exaggerating the extent to which he "controls everything".

Should you be repeating that? Should I?

Stumpy Tim

In the last two days, you have suggested we sign Ben Foster from Manchester United. The same Ben Foster who played for England prior to his injury. You then went on to better yourself by saying Bas Savage is deliberately waiting until February before signing for a new club, as he will earn a lot more money that way (even though he's not being paid by anyone for January!). And now, you think Kevin Blackwell, probably one of the most useless, blame-everyone-but-himself managers in the country is an ideal replacement. That's without even mentioning your constant clamour for the signing of Paul Furlong, who will be FORTY this year.

I am all for everyone having their opinion, hell I get into enough arguments on here to know that, but you really need to get a grip and in touch with a little bit of reality, because I can only presume your impressions of Brigton and Hove Albion, and football in general, are left behind in the 1970's somewhere.

:D:D OWNED

Stumpy Tim

Should Wilkins leave we will need a new manager, what are we going to do, give it somebody like Charlie Oatway to learn the job or an old experienced manager who, if he is any good we wouldnt be able to afford. Or a youing manager who has proved his worth in making both Leeds and Luton succesful on the pitch. What is wrong with that?

Huh?? Made Leeds & Luton successful??? He scraped Leeds into the play-offs, and then left them in the relegation zone. He then took Luton down & BEFORE they sold all their players they were well below us. How is this man a young, successful coach??

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I can't see Wilkins leaving at the moment. As has already been said, he would not get another manager's job and I think he is building a good team for the future here. Hammond leaving would be a blow but we have Thomson in and would hopefully be able to sign a Hammond replacement on loan at least.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Of course he won't quit when Hammond is sold, why would he? This is a silly thread.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
i haven't got anything against dick what i am saying is i am losing faith in what he says is true - how many problems have we had in the past few weeks and dick sems to be saying it is everyone elses fault - some of these stories we read cannot all be wrong - there is no smoke without fire after all said and done

All these stories have been from the agents of players who have not been able to agree deals with the club. Ignoring the current Hammond issue, as it is slightly different, over the last year Bertin, Savage and O'Callaghan have all failed to agree deals and none of them are doing any better than they were with us (Savage has not even got a club). To me, this shows that Dick Knight was right to hold sensible negotiations rather than offer them what they wanted.

In my view it all comes down to one question. Do you want the club to be run sensibly or would you rather offer all players whatever they want and risk becoming another Luton or Leeds?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Wilkins will be pissed off as he hasnt had a say in him leaving in the window.

Hammond refuses to sign a contract, Knight puts him up for sale. Wilkins has lost a player he is trying to build the team around without a choice.

There is only 8 days in which to sell Hammond, and he is suspended for the club that buys hims.

Wilkins would be even more pissed off if Hammond goes out only on a loan deal.

I dont think Wilkins will leave though, he is too attached to this crop of players he has been coaching for 7/8 years

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
at the end of the day you hear with all other clubs from the managers who they are targeting for - with us all we he is dick doing this - what will he be doing next - i am having this team on saturday's game - he and the BOARD OF DIRECTORS have employed Dean Dean and Ian to do a job - PLEASE Dick let them do it !!!!!

You do talk some utter shite, don't you?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I would also point out that in 1965 when we were in the lowest division of the Football League, probably before you were thought of, we signed the current England Centre Forward from Tottenham, who 3 months earlier had scored the winnmer for England at Wembley, Bobby Smith.

In football it is not what you know but who you know, when it cames to wheeling and dealing in the transfer market. But then knowing everything about football you will know that wont you.

43 years ago? Are you seriously comparing then to now?

f***ing hell that's ridiculous.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Should you be repeating that? Should I?

I don't see that as a problem at all.

It would be unrealistic to expect the chairman to agree with the manager all the time on team selection. Just look at the differing views on individual players on NSC. Everyone has their opinion.

If Dick has complained about certain selections then it shows he leaves that to the manager.

One presumes, though, that if he is consistenly unhappy on that score he has a word!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
If we manage to get Ben Foster on loan, I will eat my hands.

Easy, your hands will remain in good working order. Not sure I can say the same about the mind of anyone who thinks it is a possibility we would get Foster on loan, or the mind of Foster if he chose to come here!

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
i don't talk shit as other posters put it - all i have said is dick is not always right - why is it it is always the other players and agents - when are people going to wake up and realise the man is not whiter than white - just one question - how must the likes of Thomson and Forster feel all that experience dick tells them that we are a club with ambition and want to be in the championship and we keep treaing players like this - maybe dick should have sorted this contract a year ago - at the end of the day dean has not said he wants to go - he his obviously not being offered a very good deal by dick is he?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy, your hands will remain in good working order. Not sure I can say the same about the mind of anyone who thinks it is a possibility we would get Foster on loan, or the mind of Foster if he chose to come here!
Indeed. I'm reasonably confident we will not get an England goalie on loan down here, with Man U paying in his wages for us. Otherwise I would never have made such an outlandish claim. I value my hands, particularly my right one.

at the end of the day dean has not said he wants to go - he his obviously not being offered a very good deal by dick is he?
Why "obviously" ?
I thought he said (through his agent) that he wants to play Championship football. Thats not something this club is in any position to guarantee or even offer in the forseeable future.

Do you think Dick should cave in to players and agents demands and pay them what they want ? The club has a wage structure within its budget, and Dick is unwilling to break the bank by acceding to the demands of players and their agents. You might have noticed there are one or two clubs knocking about who have gone down that route, and its not turned out very well for them.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
i don't talk shit as other posters put it - all i have said is dick is not always right - why is it it is always the other players and agents - when are people going to wake up and realise the man is not whiter than white - just one question - how must the likes of Thomson and Forster feel all that experience dick tells them that we are a club with ambition and want to be in the championship and we keep treaing players like this - maybe dick should have sorted this contract a year ago - at the end of the day dean has not said he wants to go - he his obviously not being offered a very good deal by dick is he?

Do you know what Dick has offered him?

Do you know what Dick's budget constraints are?

Do you believe that Dick shold offer Dean whatever he wants?

It's time for some realism.

Dean will know more than most the financial situation at the club. He might be perfectly understanding of the limit to which he club can go but he also has the right to want more if he can get it elsewhere. No criticism of the club, none of him.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We know Dick is not whiter than white - that's obvious.

But you are blaming Dick for everything without considering the possibility that the individual players in question might be at fault.

'Not a very good deal' is all relative. It might not be very good for what Dean feels he can get or feels he deserves (though it might), but similarly it might be a very good deal for what the club can afford. If you stopped to consider that in your posts, you might not get the 'shit post' accusations levelled at you.

Similarly, and despite what other may 'truly believe' on here, Dean, Dean, Ian, Barry and Martin are all in the loop to a greater or lesser on any potential transfer targets. Dick gets involved too, but to say that the others don't, as well as the fact that Dick picks the team... :rolleyes:

For instance, your earlier posts about Bas and the Millwall game - I'm afraid you got it the wrong way round. Dick was told about Bas desire to leave AFTER the Millwall game, and he heard from 'a local reporter', let's assume it was Andy Naylor. Dick was upset being told that way - Wilkins obviously didn't tell him beforehand. Hence we got Dick's rather unfortunate response, a type of response he has said he will be more careful with in future (I'm paraphrasing that last bit).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This is a BINFEST.

Manager leaves because player gets sold as he wants away, not happy with deal, no forks for pies etc etc.

Christ thats never happened before in football EVER has it?

SAKE

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
- at the end of the day dean has not said he wants to go -

Err, YES he has, deb. [in so far as he says he intends to be playing Championship football next year. I don't think he meant on his Playstation].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here