Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

will wilkins quit if hammond leaves

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We don't really know how much would have to be invested to get the end product of actually making money through investing.

I do - The answer is...Too much.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
OK so who thinks DW has no say in what players are wanted ?

I am more than sure he does however DK does the deals or would you rather Wilkins spent all day dealing with agents etc as opposed to managing the team ?

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
my opinion is dean says who he wants and dick goes for the cheapest option and who he wants

This all goes back to the Knight argument, as usual.

Okay, he's saved the club but that isn't a requisite for him to do whatever he likes. We appreciate him saving us, obviously, but as I say that doesn't mean he is immune from any critisism. So, you are allowed to ask the question, why doesn't he put more money in?

The simple answer to this is, does he have it? And to be honest we won't know. We all know brighton aren't the best off club so we know that it isn't like is Man Utd were being tight to their manager. We don't know the ins and outs of club finance but it does appear to me that if they invested some money the positive multiplier effect would come into play and they could actually end up accumulating. But again, we won't really know and it might not be possible. We don't really know how much would have to be invested to get the end product of actually making money through investing (getting promoted/playing exciting football for instance). To be honest I think it is that they don't want to take any spending risks (look how turienzo ended up), which is probably quite wise.

The directors have already put in several million quid of their own (which they are unlikely to see again) and this keeps the club afloat and out of the hands of the adminstrators. Unfortunately no new money wants in yet, and the current revenue streams are extremely limited due to the utter shite that is the Withdean stadium. There simply is no extra money coming into the club. This is not the fault of anyone at the club but is something that they have to deal with every day and they do a pretty good job.

Any spending of money over and above what we can afford is a gamble with no guarantee of success. If we did splash the cash I'm sure there would be plenty of people criticising those purchases if they did not reap immediate rewards.

As I said on another thread, we have actually done ok as regards to new players this season with Forster, Whing, Thomson and now Richards back with us for the duration. That does not seem like a club or a chairman that is happy to rest on its laurels and stay where it is as all of those players improve the squad.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
The directors have already put in several million quid of their own (which they are unlikely to see again) and this keeps the club afloat and out of the hands of the adminstrators. Unfortunately no new money wants in yet, and the current revenue streams are extremely limited due to the utter shite that is the Withdean stadium. There simply is no extra money coming into the club. This is not the fault of anyone at the club but is something that they have to deal with every day and they do a pretty good job.

Any spending of money over and above what we can afford is a gamble with no guarantee of success. If we did splash the cash I'm sure there would be plenty of people criticising those purchases if they did not reap immediate rewards.

As I said on another thread, we have actually done ok as regards to new players this season with Forster, Whing, Thomson and now Richards back with us for the duration. That does not seem like a club or a chairman that is happy to rest on its laurels and stay where it is as all of those players improve the squad.

Thank you, Row Z Creased Shirt, for some sense

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
not sure why but i think wilkins may quit as albion boss if hammond leaves because i think hes sick of losing players savage etc also hammond is ihis captain and he brought him up thru the youth team.

Wilkins?

Albion boss?

Think again!

Poodles don't quit,pleasant as the thought is.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
How the hell has Knight done anything wrong on the Hammond situation? I don't get it, he offers the player a contract, and considering Hammond's status at the club and importance on pitch I imagine it would be about as generous as we could have possibly afforded, but the player doesn't sign. The agent has even said that it's because Hammond wants to play at Championship level, nothing to do with the actual contract Hammond was offered.

As for Wilkins leaving, I doubt it. I imagine he'll be very sorry and dissapointed to see Hammond leave, but it's not like he's been screwed over by the chairman - he's told Knight he wants to keep Hammond and Knight has done his best to make that happen.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
not sure why but i think wilkins may quit as albion boss if hammond leaves because i think hes sick of losing players savage etc also hammond is ihis captain and he brought him up thru the youth team.

Will he f*** (*) ! Otherwise why would he have been so keen to sign Thomson ?

(*) A remark which may come back to haunt me!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wasn't Wilkins given a longer contract to ward of at least one Premiership team who wanted him to take over their youth, as Liam Brady did when he left us as manager and returned to Arsenal as Youth Developement Officer, or whatever title he has.

Kevin Blackwell is out of work an ideal replacement?

Last edited:

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
How the hell has Knight done anything wrong on the Hammond situation? I don't get it, he offers the player a contract, and considering Hammond's status at the club and importance on pitch I imagine it would be about as generous as we could have possibly afforded, but the player doesn't sign. The agent has even said that it's because Hammond wants to play at Championship level, nothing to do with the actual contract Hammond was offered.

As for Wilkins leaving, I doubt it. I imagine he'll be very sorry and dissapointed to see Hammond leave, but it's not like he's been screwed over by the chairman - he's told Knight he wants to keep Hammond and Knight has done his best to make that happen.
how do we know it was a good offer - dicks word

how do we know dick wants dean to stay - dicks word

i don't believe what the man says it true - it is very easy to say he didi this and that but how many players are we going to lose by doing it dicks way

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
OK so who thinks DW has no say in what players are wanted ?

I am more than sure he does however DK does the deals or would you rather Wilkins spent all day dealing with agents etc as opposed to managing the team ?

he clearly does - the whole turienzo issue made that pretty clear

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
how do we know it was a good offer - dicks word

how do we know dick wants dean to stay - dicks word

i don't believe what the man says it true - it is very easy to say he didi this and that but how many players are we going to lose by doing it dicks way

What has Dick got to gain by lying? It probably is a good offer (relatively), heaven knows we don't have enough money to offer contracts that are too good to be turned down. You have only made posts that are anti-knight and you have not offered any evidence for your slur. What exactly is your problem with Knight? There are plenty of people that are critical of him, but offer reasoned explanations, all you seem to do is vomit tabloid type accusations on our screens.

Kevin Blackwell is out of work an ideal replacement?

No, thanks. He has had a bad few years and I wouldn't want someone with a patchy track record.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
What has Dick got to gain by lying? It probably is a good offer (relatively), heaven knows we don't have enough money to offer contracts that are too good to be turned down. You have only made posts that are anti-knight and you have not offered any evidence for your slur. What exactly is your problem with Knight? There are plenty of people that are critical of him, but offer reasoned explanations, all you seem to do is vomit tabloid type accusations on our screens.

No, thanks. He has had a bad few years and I wouldn't want someone with a patchy track record.

i haven't got anything against dick what i am saying is i am losing faith in what he says is true - how many problems have we had in the past few weeks and dick sems to be saying it is everyone elses fault - some of these stories we read cannot all be wrong - there is no smoke without fire after all said and done

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the last two days, you have suggested we sign Ben Foster from Manchester United. The same Ben Foster who played for England prior to his injury. You then went on to better yourself by saying Bas Savage is deliberately waiting until February before signing for a new club, as he will earn a lot more money that way (even though he's not being paid by anyone for January!). And now, you think Kevin Blackwell, probably one of the most useless, blame-everyone-but-himself managers in the country is an ideal replacement. That's without even mentioning your constant clamour for the signing of Paul Furlong, who will be FORTY this year.

I am all for everyone having their opinion, hell I get into enough arguments on here to know that, but you really need to get a grip and in touch with a little bit of reality, because I can only presume your impressions of Brigton and Hove Albion, and football in general, are left behind in the 1970's somewhere.

Lets put the record straight.

1. We need a goalkeeper, Ben Foster is coming back from a serious injury so we have nothing to lose by asking Man U to loan him as they would no doubt pay his wages still and we would give him the chance of getting games under his belt. What is the problem with that.

2. Paul Furlong scored again tonight for Luton all the time he can do that he would be ok irrespective of his age. A similar type player to him would benefit Forster. What is wrong with that?

3. Should Wilkins leave we will need a new manager, what are we going to do, give it somebody like Charlie Oatway to learn the job or an old experienced manager who, if he is any good we wouldnt be able to afford. Or a youing manager who has proved his worth in making both Leeds and Luton succesful on the pitch. What is wrong with that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here