Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we even have a game against Pompey next week...?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You need to do this again with a games played column to truly appreciate the disappearance of Pompey (44 games would be a completed season) - please.

punish:

changes 2012.03.01b.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
players aren't an issue - they will stay and play if only to be in the shop window for a club for next season. Even if they are not being paid at all where else can they go?

Are they not technically entitled to cancel their contract if they go 2 months without pay ? That would then make them a free agent, and able to sign for anyone on a free.

Shifty89

Sep 29, 2007
Anyone know aht would happen with promotion/relegation if they were to go bust? i know they would reduce the championship relegation zone to 2 teams, but then there would only be 23 teams in league 1 next year. Hows it all worked out?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Portsmouth FC statement in full.

Trevor Birch, partner at PKF and joint administrator of Portsmouth Football Club, has made the following statement:

“Following our discussions with the Premier League and Football League over the past few days, it has emerged that Portsmouth Football Club is unlikely to receive any further parachute payments or other league funding.

“We had previously stated that there was a real danger of the club running out of cash before the end of the season. The risk of this happening increases substantially without the money from the football authorities. Unless something significant happens, there is a real possibility that we may not be able to fulfil the season’s fixtures.

“One potential issue appears to come from the assignment of £2.2 million of parachute payments that was made by the old company to a previous owner. We have instructed lawyers to challenge this, but the process may take time.

“The club is also still owed nearly £300,000 by the CSI administrators and their lawyers, who are withholding the funds as payment for their work in applying to court for administration. PKF is talking to its lawyers to see if this money can be returned to the club.

“Despite the tremendous support that we’ve received from everyone involved with Portsmouth Football Club, it seems that the club isn’t getting any of the breaks that it needs. The more we uncover, the worse the picture appears to get.

“The only consolation I can give supporters, staff and players at the moment is that my PKF colleagues and I have not given up hope and will continue to do all we can to save the club. But the clock is ticking.

“We are looking at all possible options for raising further revenues in the very short term but we realise that there is only so much that can be realistically achieved. We will update you on the situation as often as we can, but keep in mind that the situation will change on a daily basis

“The local community has certainly risen to the challenge. The attendance at last Saturday’s game against Leeds was one of the highest of the season, a number of fundraising ideas have been proposed and supporters have already raised several thousand pounds to buy tickets for future matches for the local community. That will help.

“Their commitment has been one of the few positives in an otherwise very challenging fortnight. It also gives me and my colleagues even more motivation to do everything in our power to secure the club’s future.

“As you’d expect, several people have got in touch with us since our appointment as administrators and made enquiries about buying the club. We are assessing every case and will make contact with anyone that we believe could be a serious bidder over the next few days.

“Any potential bidders will need to be prepared to make a major investment in the club because the outlook for next season looks challenging unless we can sell some players in the summer.”

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Anyone know aht would happen with promotion/relegation if they were to go bust? i know they would reduce the championship relegation zone to 2 teams, but then there would only be 23 teams in league 1 next year. Hows it all worked out?

4 teams promoted from League 2 but only 3 teams relegated from League 1 with 3 teams promoted from the Conference into League 2 but only 2 teams relegated from League 2 etc etc.

“As you’d expect, several people have got in touch with us since our appointment as administrators and made enquiries about buying the club. We are assessing every case and will make contact with anyone that we believe could be a serious bidder over the next few days.

There can't be anyone stupid enough to buy PFC can there, what would they ever get out of it?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Are they not technically entitled to cancel their contract if they go 2 months without pay ? That would then make them a free agent, and able to sign for anyone on a free.

Yes, but the ones on big money like Kitson and Lawrence wouldn't do that unless someone else is prepared to pay them that much .... and no-one is! So, they will sit tight as a "footballer creditor" knowing that they are first in the queue to pick over teh financial bones. THEY will get paid in full, it's just teh local businessmen, St. Johns Ambulance, local charities, and of course ALL OF US as taxpayers that will be short changed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Portsmouth FC statement in full.

Trevor Birch, partner at PKF and joint administrator of Portsmouth Football Club, has made the following statement:

“Following our discussions with the Premier League and Football League over the past few days, it has emerged that Portsmouth Football Club is unlikely to receive any further parachute payments or other league funding.

“We had previously stated that there was a real danger of the club running out of cash before the end of the season. The risk of this happening increases substantially without the money from the football authorities. Unless something significant happens, there is a real possibility that we may not be able to fulfil the season’s fixtures.

“One potential issue appears to come from the assignment of £2.2 million of parachute payments that was made by the old company to a previous owner. We have instructed lawyers to challenge this, but the process may take time.

“The club is also still owed nearly £300,000 by the CSI administrators and their lawyers, who are withholding the funds as payment for their work in applying to court for administration. PKF is talking to its lawyers to see if this money can be returned to the club.

“Despite the tremendous support that we’ve received from everyone involved with Portsmouth Football Club, it seems that the club isn’t getting any of the breaks that it needs. The more we uncover, the worse the picture appears to get.

“The only consolation I can give supporters, staff and players at the moment is that my PKF colleagues and I have not given up hope and will continue to do all we can to save the club. But the clock is ticking.

“We are looking at all possible options for raising further revenues in the very short term but we realise that there is only so much that can be realistically achieved. We will update you on the situation as often as we can, but keep in mind that the situation will change on a daily basis

“The local community has certainly risen to the challenge. The attendance at last Saturday’s game against Leeds was one of the highest of the season, a number of fundraising ideas have been proposed and supporters have already raised several thousand pounds to buy tickets for future matches for the local community. That will help.

“Their commitment has been one of the few positives in an otherwise very challenging fortnight. It also gives me and my colleagues even more motivation to do everything in our power to secure the club’s future.

“Any potential bidders will need to be prepared to make a major investment in the club because the outlook for next season looks challenging unless we can sell some players in the summer.”

I like this Birch chap. He seems to be doing things the right way. Unlike the previous specimen. The one who used to sign autographs, like he was some kind of football celebrity. There just seemed so many things wrong with the way he carried himself, and the decisions he made, or shied from making.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

There can't be anyone stupid enough to buy PFC can there, what would they ever get out of it?

They pretend to be wealthy backers, step in claiming to have money they don't have, run up huge amounts of charges owed to them, and then leave the club in another hole with parachute payments coming to them.

See Gaydamack.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This was discussed last year with Plymouth looking at maybe not finishing the season. There was an example of points being awarded for unplayed games (possibly a non-league thing, rather than removing points for those played. Apparently, there is a belief (that I haven't actually checked in the rules and regulations yet) that if you fail to fulfil a fixture, your opponents will be awarded a 3-0 win.

I imagine the Football League will look at what the table looks like both with points awarded and points taken away, and see which one causes the least disruption, least chance of legal challenges dragging everything out, and cite whichever precedent applies.

That sounds like a fairer option to me, dunno too knackered to sit and think it through. Although I can't stand the place I've no desire to see the club go under so lets hope it doesn't come to it

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The serious bidder is rumoured to be Brian Howe (member of the rock band Bad Company) who was interested in buying the club several years ago. He is being very non committal but reading between the lines could be the frontman behind another consortium who will fund the deal rather than him buying as an individual.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, but the ones on big money like Kitson and Lawrence wouldn't do that unless someone else is prepared to pay them that much .... and no-one is! So, they will sit tight as a "footballer creditor" knowing that they are first in the queue to pick over teh financial bones. THEY will get paid in full, it's just teh local businessmen, St. Johns Ambulance, local charities, and of course ALL OF US as taxpayers that will be short changed.

Sure. But some of the lesser players who aren't on ridiculous wages might seriously consider it as an option. If they're not on stupid money of the likes of Lawrence, then they are more likely to be picked up by another club, and at least then they can start, you know, actually receiving a wage.

Its what I'd do if I were in their boots I reckon.

The serious bidder is rumoured to be Brian Howe (member of the rock band Bad Company) who was interested in buying the club several years ago. He is being very non committal but reading between the lines could be the frontman behind another consortium who will fund the deal rather than him buying as an individual.

But what would they get?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sure. But some of the lesser players who aren't on ridiculous wages might seriously consider it as an option. If they're not on stupid money of the likes of Lawrence, then they are more likely to be picked up by another club, and at least then they can start, you know, actually receiving a wage.

Its what I'd do if I were in their boots I reckon.

Certainly be the case for any talented young players coming through, who Pompey are only hanging onto because they are under contract. The irony is that getting those players off the wageroll won't really help Pompey at all. #snigger.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I wonder how much profit we make from a home game? That money would be lost if Portsmouth couldn't play - plus season and other ticket holders would have to be reimbursed. It would cost BHAFC a fair bit.

Have to say I wouldn't wish what the Pompey fans are going through on anyone.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
That sounds like a fairer option to me, dunno too knackered to sit and think it through. Although I can't stand the place I've no desire to see the club go under so lets hope it doesn't come to it

Just set up an AI vs AI match on Football Manager and take the average of 50 games for the remaining fixtures. Obviously the best way ;)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If the players agree to defer their wages, does that mean they can't simply walk away for not being paid? They can't accuse the club of failure to pay them if they've agreed to a different payment schedule, so the option to walk away after two months without pay might be off the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here