Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we even have a game against Pompey next week...?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If points are taken away:
pompey lose points 2012.03.01.jpg
(click to enlarge)

If points are awarded for unplayed games (I remember is being said a 3-0 win is awarded if one team fails to fulfil a fixture, I don't know if that is or ever was current, but is the basis for this table)
pompey award points 2012.03.01.jpg
(click to enlarge)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
So they only got a ten point deduction last time as they agreed a cva which has now failed, can they have the extra points taken now?

It was nine points as Premier League clubs play fewer games, and technically speaking the first CVA payments don't fall due until April so they haven't defaulted. Yet.

And sadly, they won't go bust - football clubs almost never do. But if ever one deserved to ....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It was nine points as Premier League clubs play fewer games, and technically speaking the first CVA payments don't fall due until April so they haven't defaulted. Yet.

And sadly, they won't go bust. But if ever one deserved to ....

Are you DRUNK?

Journalist's lunch?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seems to be a bloody unfair way to do it ... because Reading played crap against a team that's gone bust they are the major beneficiary. Is this absolutely the way it happens? Not to say I can think of a fairer way but must be one

This was discussed last year with Plymouth looking at maybe not finishing the season. There was an example of points being awarded for unplayed games (possibly a non-league thing, rather than removing points for those played. Apparently, there is a belief (that I haven't actually checked in the rules and regulations yet) that if you fail to fulfil a fixture, your opponents will be awarded a 3-0 win.

I imagine the Football League will look at what the table looks like both with points awarded and points taken away, and see which one causes the least disruption, least chance of legal challenges dragging everything out, and cite whichever precedent applies.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ill take the three goals and three points option thankyouverymuchly

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If points are taken away:
View attachment 30666
(click to enlarge)

If points are awarded for unplayed games (I remember is being said a 3-0 win is awarded if one team fails to fulfil a fixture, I don't know if that is or ever was current, but is the basis for this table)
View attachment 30667
(click to enlarge)

The FL rules are quite explicit , all the results are wiped out and there isn't a way of awarding points (or 3 goals) to a club who hasn't played the club which has folded

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
This was discussed last year with Plymouth looking at maybe not finishing the season. There was an example of points being awarded for unplayed games (possibly a non-league thing, rather than removing points for those played. Apparently, there is a belief (that I haven't actually checked in the rules and regulations yet) that if you fail to fulfil a fixture, your opponents will be awarded a 3-0 win.

I imagine the Football League will look at what the table looks like both with points awarded and points taken away, and see which one causes the least disruption, least chance of legal challenges dragging everything out, and cite whichever precedent applies.

From the Football League's website 12.2.1 is the relevant bit to what happens if the club resign from the league during the season.

The Football League | About Us | Regulations | Regulations Detail | Section 3 - The League

12 Retirement and Admission of Clubs

12.1 Clubs retiring from The League pursuant to Regulations Promotion, Relegation and Play-Offs and Replacement of Clubs Ceasing to be Members shall retire with effect from the end of the relevant Season, whereupon new Clubs taking their places shall be admitted and be deemed to have been formally elected as members of The League. With effect from such time any new Club shall become entitled to receive a transfer of and to exercise the rights attaching to such share in The League held by the retiring Club as the Board shall direct and each of the retiring Clubs shall procure that, with effect from such date and until the respective transferee Club has been registered as the holder of its share in the Register of Members of The League, the rights attaching thereto shall be exercised in such manner as such transferee Club shall direct.

12.2 Cessation of membership. If a Club (or Clubs) ceases to be a member of The League for any reason (including, without limitation, pursuant to Article 4 of the Articles of Association or by way of relegation or expulsion for disciplinary reasons):

12.2.1 during any Normal Playing Season, its playing record shall be expunged and the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members;

12.2.2 during the period between the end of the Normal Playing Season and the conclusion of the last Play-Off Match for that Season, its playing record shall not be expunged
but the number of relegation places from the relevant Division for that Season shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members; or

12.2.3 during the period between the conclusion of the last Play-Off Match and the start of the following Season, its playing record shall not be expunged but the number of relegation places from the Division in which a Club would have played but for its cessation of membership, shall be reduced by the number of Clubs ceasing to be members and, during that Season, the relevant Division shall operate with a reduced number of Clubs.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
If they fold before March 10th do Brighton season ticket holders become creditors on Portsmouths list,and will they pay me 20p in the pound for my purchased rail tickets ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ok, ignoring the awarded points table, this highlights the teams whose fate changes (automatic to play off, play off to no play off).

changes 2012.03.01.png
(click to enlarge -I highlighted Bristol because I wasn't sure if that meant they are now in the relegation zone, the excerpt from the R&Rs show they do no, so they can be ignored)

Reading go from play offs to automatic, with west ham going the other way.
Middlesborough and cardiff switch places.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
i would also be a bit pissed if all season my team have been competing for a league 1 playoff spot then for the playoffs just to be abandoned

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It is all a media PR job

Seriously, unless the administrator applies to the court for the club to go into liquidation there is no way that it will happen before the end of the season.
How likely is that to happen? IMO not at all. If the administrator really felt that the club was unsalvageably insolvent then he should not have been talking about his concerns today but should have used his time to go before the court to put them into liquidation. It is not in any other creditor's interest from either a revenue or PR viewpoint to put them into liquidation.

What the administrator has actually done is to state very publicly that they need additional help to survive beyond the end of the season/through the summer when there is limited revenue but little less in the way of costs. He is flying a kite to see if somewhere in the PL/FL coffers there isn't a few bob to help them through. Has to be worth a go in his position but having got the players to defer some of their wages until the end of the season he has another option to return to and not pay them at all for two months if short term he needs to plug a gap.

What matters now is not the Profit and Loss Sheet but simple Cashflow and if you look at it there is not a great deal that they absolutely have to pay out in the next two months................
Don't pay wages, use volunteers for matchdays, no programmes, travel on the day of matches so no hotels................ discount home tickets to generate cash sales and sell tickets for away matches and pocket the cash to meet the day to day costs like laundry and coach fares............................... Job done!

Last edited:

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
Ok, ignoring the awarded points table, this highlights the teams whose fate changes (automatic to play off, play off to no play off).

View attachment 30668
(click to enlarge -I highlighted Bristol because I wasn't sure if that meant they are now in the relegation zone, the excerpt from the R&Rs show they do no, so they can be ignored)

Reading go from play offs to automatic, with west ham going the other way.
Middlesborough and cardiff switch places.

You need to do this again with a games played column to truly appreciate the disappearance of Pompey (44 games would be a completed season) - please.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
hopefully they will keep it simple and let them fold after the season... :)

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
can't they accept their points this season and forfeit the remaining games? would result in definite relegation and they could sort them selves out in the next season?

imo f***'em, they should go bust.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Couldn't Pompey draft in supporters to play their remaining games ?

players aren't an issue - they will stay and play if only to be in the shop window for a club for next season. Even if they are not being paid at all where else can they go?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I have to go to Fratton tomorrow night.
Banner anyone?

Some things money can't buy...
<insert own idea here>

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here