Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Vicente be at pre-season training tomorrow??

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So you never think about changing your working situation or trying to ensure that you are in a stronger position to negociate?

Or do you just wish that you could and don't do anything about it?

Try reading the post you quoted!

We don't change our working situation by just not turning up at the job we're contracted to do.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
If he is not turning up to training, then in my opinion he is AWOL and should be fined until he returns. I do not care how good a player he is, he us under contract with us and as a result MUST turn up. He is a great player and I would love to see he play for us next season, but if he wants to act like a big time Charlie and think he is better than the club, he can piss off, and his wages can be reinvested into players who want to play for us.
absolutely this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well the hints are that we're looking for a 2 year deal for him. It's a pretty big decision I would say, considering everything it would mean for his family and possibly the final years of his career.

First I've heard of it being a 2 year jobbie, I would be very surprised at that, unless it has further clauses allowing him to cop off next year if anyone comes in for him.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I've seen it on here and on the Argus now.

The general vibe around this whole issue is astonishing. "we should just get rid", "He can f*** off", "we should move on", "their is no loyalty"

The whole thing is such a NON story that its ridiculous. It's just a NORMAL football story being twisted inside and out.

The basic facts are all SIMPLE and NORMAL for football.

A bloke from Spain signed a contract last summer with view to the club extending that.

The summer comes and the spaniard has a little think about if he would like to stay.

The club make the logical move of adding the extra year as to cover their backs.

The spaniard and the agent make no shocking statements or demands in the press.

Other clubs state their interest.

I actually don't see ANYTHING particularly special about this situation. Vicente never said HE would stay. He is exploring all his options open to him and his young family.

This is a MASSIVE decision for him. If he signs then LOVELY.

If not then FINE. There should be absolutely NO hard feelings at all towards the player. What has he or the agent done wrong exactly?

Best post by a LONG WAY on here. People are SO quick to make black and white judgments. It's ALL grey.

Ha, really?

Like all other players at Brighton, he is under contract and should report to pre-season training. If they all decided not to bother to turn up today, would that be okay? The fact is he is UNDER CONTRACT. Players cannot just choose to turn up to training when they wish. Players shouldn't have all the power. He has no special dispensation to be away for longer (that I have read about) and so should abide by the same rules as the other players.

It's situations like this that make the average Joe pissed off at these players. It's the fans money being pumped into the club that contributes to their wages, they deserve a little respect.

If you ran a business and your employees just decided to go off on holiday and not report back for work when you expected them to, would you accept that?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
So you never think about changing your working situation or trying to ensure that you are in a stronger position to negociate?

Or do you just wish that you could and don't do anything about it?

Absurd. Of course I do but I still turn up when I am being paid.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
First I've heard of it being a 2 year jobbie, I would be very surprised at that, unless it has further clauses allowing him to cop off next year if anyone comes in for him.

Well the 2 year deal for Saltor was then followed by a number ITK comments about an improved, brand spanking new deal for Vicente. If he's settling down here with family etc I'd be MASSIVELY surprised if it was another 1 year deal.

jjt1976

Dec 29, 2009
so has he definetly not turned up for training today? or is everyone just going on what was in todays argus?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Is it ? Really ?

We're talking about him staying here for one season. By next May, he's gone. Its hardly a lifetime commitment, its a few months. And after the way the club took a chance and rehabilitated him, I think he owes us that season.

Not that its going to happen now.

I understand your point, but I would say it is a big life decision.

He has another child on the way and this is a family decision for him. I watched a very interesting interview with Joe Cole about his year in Lille and he said about how joining for a year is easy, its the second year decision which is the huge one, lifestyle wise.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
You stand by someone when they're not right in the head to play, you pull them off the unwanted pile, you get them back on their feet and they repay you how?...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If he is not turning up to training, then in my opinion he is AWOL and should be fined until he returns. I do not care how good a player he is, he us under contract with us and as a result MUST turn up.
Do you know for a fact he's AWOL? Is it possible he's spoken to the club and asked if he can spend the next couple of weeks with his family while he thinks what to do for the next year? If our club have acted fairly, and he's told them to get stuffed, then I'm with you, but we don't know any facts at all, so all this is complete bullshit.

I've seen it on here and on the Argus now.

The general vibe around this whole issue is astonishing. "we should just get rid", "He can f*** off", "we should move on", "their is no loyalty"

The whole thing is such a NON story that its ridiculous. It's just a NORMAL football story being twisted inside and out.

The basic facts are all SIMPLE and NORMAL for football.

A bloke from Spain signed a contract last summer with view to the club extending that.

The summer comes and the spaniard has a little think about if he would like to stay.

The club make the logical move of adding the extra year as to cover their backs.

The spaniard and the agent make no shocking statements or demands in the press.

Other clubs state their interest.

I actually don't see ANYTHING particularly special about this situation. Vicente never said HE would stay. He is exploring all his options open to him and his young family.

This is a MASSIVE decision for him. If he signs then LOVELY.

If not then FINE. There should be absolutely NO hard feelings at all towards the player. What has he or the agent done wrong exactly?
Exactly.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If you ran a business and your employees just decided to go off on holiday and not report back for work when you expected them to, would you accept that?

I don't think you can ever apply a football scenario to a real-world scenario. The contracts and employment structures are so different.

None of us know what has been said to Vicente. The club may have been more than happy for him to report back slightly later than everyone else anyway considering his child-situation.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Unfortunately, the longer this drags on, the more Vicente will go from hero to zero.

The fact is, he has a contract with the club and regardless of any negotiations that are ongoing, should have reported for training this morning. If he hasn't it's breach of contract. His agent should be fully aware of that. Why footballers think they can behave differently, I don't know. As others have said, if one of my employees didn't turn up for work when expected after a holiday, I'd be pretty p*ssed off and have to take action.

Missing training (especially pre-season) will put him down the pecking order straight away as not being match-fit - back to where we were when he signed last season. If he does come back, don't expect an appearance for a while.

I fully expect that Gus and the club have anticipated that he won't be back and have not based this season's strategy to work around one player - how can you?

If it gets resolved and he comes back great he'd still be a great addition to the squad, if he doesn't, adios and thanks for the memories.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
By potentially signing....

I'll be over the moon and the first to eat humble pie if that happens but it looks about as likely as John Terry leaving someone elses missus alone, admittedly it's probably not all down to him though, I'm sure that dreaded word 'agent' is partly responsible.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I don't think you can ever apply a football scenario to a real-world scenario. The contracts and employment structures are so different.

None of us know what has been said to Vicente. The club may have been more than happy for him to report back slightly later than everyone else anyway considering his child-situation.

Really? We employ IT contractors all the time, usually on shorter contracts, but sometimes on 12 month contracts. All the time their under contract we expect them to turn up to work. It's fairly similar.

The fact his agent has said that he WILL NOT train until the contract situation is sorted out makes claim to there being a revised offer request.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here