Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Will this put you off buying a new car?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I like car to give people an electric shock up the arse if realises they have made a turn and not put their *ucking indicator on. The amount of time I see this is unreal, what is a matter with people that flicking a stick to give some indication of where your going is too difficult. :mad:

Last edited:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
My car has a button marked LIM, never pushed that one, but I believe it performs this function. There are some crap "features" on new cars like automatic handbrakes and driver monitoring. My favourite is an alarm sounding and the word BRAKE flashing up in the windscreen. I wonder how long it will before someone starts hacking our cars to do unusual things. I'm sure you could get the rain sensing wipers to open the windows and sunroof in your mate's car for a laugh. Technology has risks, ride an old motorbike.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How about they scrap outdated speed limits and increase the speed limit on a dual carriageway to 100mph given how good the brakes are on modern cars and how much safety kit they all have. The 70mph speed limit was put in place 50+ years ago when cars were nowhere near as safe as they are now.
Guessing you're not voting Green then!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
At least it's not applicable to motorbikes. Although I'm not planning on buying another new one in the immediate future.

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
How about they scrap outdated speed limits and increase the speed limit on a dual carriageway to 100mph given how good the brakes are on modern cars and how much safety kit they all have. The 70mph speed limit was put in place 50+ years ago when cars were nowhere near as safe as they are now.
Funny thing is last year I attended a driving safety course which my company runs for all company car drivers…fair play it was very educational and I’d say I drive far safer for it through a few tweaks to my driving style

I happened to state exactly the same thing to the person running the course as it’s been a regular bug bear for me as loads of speed limits round my way seem to go down for no apparent reason! He would, in my opinion, be ‘qualified’ to have an informed view, and he quite simply said that the standard of driving has, at best, declined to such an extent that this argument is flawed. He said that the implementation of a vast array of driver safety aids in modern cars has led to distracted drivers/lower driving standards eg Bluetooth phones, Apple/android car play, emergency break assist, assisted cruise control etc

I can’t be the only one who spots someone using a mobile phone whilst driving pretty much every time I go on a decent journey so maybe he has a point

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
Funny thing is last year I attended a driving safety course which my company runs for all company car drivers…fair play it was very educational and I’d say I drive far safer for it through a few tweaks to my driving style

I happened to state exactly the same thing to the person running the course as it’s been a regular bug bear for me as loads of speed limits round my way seem to go down for no apparent reason! He would, in my opinion, be ‘qualified’ to have an informed view, and he quite simply said that the standard of driving has, at best, declined to such an extent that this argument is flawed. He said that the implementation of a vast array of driver safety aids in modern cars has led to distracted drivers/lower driving standards eg Bluetooth phones, Apple/android car play, emergency break assist, assisted cruise control etc

I can’t be the only one who spots someone using a mobile phone whilst driving pretty much every time I go on a decent journey so maybe he has a point
Even if we accept that to be true that driving is getting worse, road fatalities have dramatically decreased over the last 40 years so something must be mitigating that risk i.e cars are a lot safer than they were when the 70mph speed limit was introduced.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I reckon having a car that could break the speed limit probably saved my daughters life.
About 25 years ago, we visited the maize maze at Tulleys Farm for a family day out.
5 year old daughter got stung on the neck, we think, by a wasp.
Within 5 minutes her face had swollen up like she had gone 10 rounds with Frank Bruno.
First Aider gave her anti-histamine and said, get her in the car and take her to PRH A&E at Haywards Heath IMMEDIATELY.
Carried her in and she was struggling to breathe. They rushed her in to re-sus and gave her some injections and IV stuff.
If I'd pootled along keeping to the speed limit it would probably have been more appropriate to drive straight to the mortuary ....

Rarely a reason to justify speeding, but never say never.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here