Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Will this put you off buying a new car?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It will me. Irresponsible and selfish I accept but I know I couldn’t live with it.

This is going to be fun. I drive a new car which displays the speed limit of the road I'm diving on. Often it incorrectly displays the current limit. The other day I was driving in a 60 and the car indicated I was in a 5 mile an hour zone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is going to be fun. I drive a new car which displays the speed limit of the road I'm diving on. Often it incorrectly displays the current limit. The other day I was driving in a 60 and the car indicated I was in a 5 mile an hour zone.

:lolol: Country grinds to a halt as cars get limited to 5mph.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It will me. Irresponsible and selfish I accept but I know I couldn’t live with it.

Not sure you have read the article.

If you want to drive in EU land then you will be delighted to learn that your new car, should you decide to buy one, will be equipped to do so. But do remember to buy a red triangle, and special light deflectors for your headlights. Like what you always done. Innit.

"Although the UK has left the EU, it has retained many of the EU’s car regulations to ensure consistency in manufacturing and safety standards. As a result, all new cars sold in the UK from July 2024 must feature Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) systems".

All old cars, like old cars in EU land (you can guess the rest, and it isn't 'will be towed to Calais and thrown in the sea to annoy the English'; it will be something along the lines of zut alors, exempt).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The finance industry and their pushing of loans to make cars “affordable” which has put the price up astronomically is enough to stop me buying a new car so this won’t effect me.
But it may affect you....

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
It would also advise me to go the wrong way around roundabouts, when using the satnav, until they issued a software update.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My radar picks up slip-road speed singes, so I am legally doing 60 and suddenly (you can guess the rest).

But my car was made before July 2024 so it is exempt. Hooray!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My radar picks up slip-road speed singes, so I am legally doing 60 and suddenly (you can guess the rest).

But my car was made before July 2024 so it is exempt. Hooray!

Because of the rule changes, they're no longer able to sell my car in the UK.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had a 2CV years ago - loved it. Money was short, 2CVs were cheap, and before that I'd only had old second hand cars that maybe could go faster - but not for too long at a time; they had to be 'nursed' on longer journeys - and stop every couple of hours so as not to overheat. The 2CV could be just pointed at the motorway, 70mph (almost!) and just go all day. It was bliss!
But...think of the poor foals :ohmy:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Not sure you have read the article.

If you want to drive in EU land then you will be delighted to learn that your new car, should you decide to buy one, will be equipped to do so. But do remember to buy a red triangle, and special light deflectors for your headlights. Like what you always done. Innit.

"Although the UK has left the EU, it has retained many of the EU’s car regulations to ensure consistency in manufacturing and safety standards. As a result, all new cars sold in the UK from July 2024 must feature Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) systems".

All old cars, like old cars in EU land (you can guess the rest, and it isn't 'will be towed to Calais and thrown in the sea to annoy the English'; it will be something along the lines of zut alors, exempt).
What haven’t I read? Cars sold in the UK will have speed limiters, I won’t be buying a car that has one :shrug:

Red triangles have come with most cars for a few years haven’t they?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who is they 'they' that want's to sell your car? Or do you mean your make of car can't be sold in the UK. But....where can it be sold? Genuinely not following what you're saying here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What haven’t I read? Cars sold in the UK will have speed limiters, I won’t be buying a car that has one :shrug:

Red triangles have come with most cars for a few years haven’t they?
New cars.

And when driving in the UK it is likely new car speed limiters will be over ridable. I have a speed limiter in my car. I don't.....switch it on.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
My dad's old Hillman Avenger used to make hell of a racket when he got near 70mph. Any faster and you needed ear plugs. Maybe they should start selling these again?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What, your actual car cannot be sold in the UK? Why?

If it cannot be sold, can you keep it and drive it?

Does this mean the second hand car business will end overnight in July?

Still not following. Apologies if I am having an autistic moment.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
New cars.

And when driving in the UK it is likely new car speed limiters will be over ridable. I have a speed limiter in my car. I don't.....switch it on.
Which is why I won’t be buying a NEW car which is on the thread title! You will NOT be able to turn off the limiter but with some f***ing about you can over ride it. I’m OUT.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Knickers back on, chaps:

"You can override the system by pressing hard on the accelerator, but the system will reactivate every time the car is started."

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Knickers back on, chaps:

"You can override the system by pressing hard on the accelerator, but the system will reactivate every time the car is started."

f*** that… for me

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Which is why I won’t be buying a NEW car which is on the thread title! You will NOT be able to turn off the limiter but with some f***ing about you can over ride it. I’m OUT.
I recon you simply can't afford a new car and using this new initiative as camouflage. :wink:

I did a similar sort of maneuver when Siouxsie Sioux declared herself a lesbian.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here