Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Will this put you off buying a new car?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
f*** that… for me
Judging by you fury I would imagine you're the sort of bloke who will routinely have pressed very hard on the accelerator within 100 yards of your house, so you will be virtually unaware that your car has been tinkered with ??? :cool:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I recon you simply can't afford a new car and using this new initiative as camouflage. :wink:

I did a similar sort of maneuver when Siouxsie Sioux declared herself a lesbian.

I have bought one new car in my life, I still have it but it’s only a year old. It has already lost 20% of it’s value so yes, you are probably right :smile:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have bought one new car in my life, I still have it but it’s only a year old. It has already lost 20% of it’s value so yes, you are probably right :smile:
Schoolboy error :lolol:

(I did the same 25 years ago. A Fiesta. Car of the year back then. You can buy a spray that gives an old car the New Car Smell these days :cheery: )

:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I NEVER press hard on the accelerator until the engine is warm :smile:
Sounds like my dad's old Riley.

I thought you said you'd bought a new car? ???

You can always warm up by letting it idle on your runway. For a bit.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This is going to be fun. I drive a new car which displays the speed limit of the road I'm diving on. Often it incorrectly displays the current limit. The other day I was driving in a 60 and the car indicated I was in a 5 mile an hour zone.
This often happens with speed limits set on slip roads, in that rather than continuing to display 50, the dash will drop to 20 or 30 or whatever the limit is, while the sat nav still shows the correct 50 or what ever the limit is for the road I'm on.

Currently I just continue driving at my current speed, but if this new device immediately cuts the vehicle speed down, then it is just an accident waiting to happen.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Not sure if I've read correctly, but will these prevent your car from going above the speed limit?

I had an instance recently heading towards Peacehaven from Newhaven I was doing about 28 and a car bombed it out of Norman Road just before Elim church without even looking whilst I would have hit him had I not immediately changed lanes and also had to accelerate quickly so the car in the second land wouldn't hit me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What, your actual car cannot be sold in the UK? Why?

Well they can't sell my actual car, because they don't own it. Although that was the case before the rule changes. But the model of car I own stopped being sold here a short while ago because it won't meet the new criteria.

If it cannot be sold, can you keep it and drive it?

Does this mean the second hand car business will end overnight in July?

Still not following. Apologies if I am having an autistic moment.

Oh shit, you were being serious. The rules for new cars is always different to the rules for old cars. As an example, it's long been the case that new cars in this country require seatbelts in all seats, but cars sold before the rules can still be sold without them. I'm not aware of any old cars that can't be sold second-hand.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Schoolboy error :lolol:

(I did the same 25 years ago. A Fiesta. Car of the year back then. You can buy a spray that gives an old car the New Car Smell these days :cheery: )

:thumbsup:
Nah it’s one of only 29 in the country and I am keeping it as long as I can drive! It’s heap of Italian shit and I bloody love it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nah it’s one of only 29 in the country and I am keeping it as long as I can drive! It’s heap of Italian shit and I bloody love it.

You bought a new car last year, which is one of only 29? Come on then, what is it?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've never been put 'on' buying a new car . . . . So no comment.

thank the automotive gods there are millions of great cars out there already.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
How about they scrap outdated speed limits and increase the speed limit on a dual carriageway to 100mph given how good the brakes are on modern cars and how much safety kit they all have. The 70mph speed limit was put in place 50+ years ago when cars were nowhere near as safe as they are now.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally i’d make it mandatory for all drivers if their vehicle has a port to have a black box fitted with reduced insurance next year if you haven’t driven like a **** or increased if you have!
Think any car with an OBD port ie post 1996, could have a black box fitted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well they can't sell my actual car, because they don't own it. Although that was the case before the rule changes. But the model of car I own stopped being sold here a short while ago because it won't meet the new criteria.

Oh shit, you were being serious. The rules for new cars is always different to the rules for old cars. As an example, it's long been the case that new cars in this country require seatbelts in all seats, but cars sold before the rules can still be sold without them. I'm not aware of any old cars that can't be sold second-hand.
Yep. The oddest things confuse me. Neurodiversity. I try to live with it. I try to make it fun. As best I can :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here