Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I see Portsmouth have signed 10 players. I'd imagine players like Izale Mccleod, Luke Rodgers, Jon Harley and Brian Howard will be on quite high wages for league 1 so it seems they still haven't learnt their lesson.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011

bhabloke

Oct 18, 2003
Mile Oak
I see Portsmouth have signed 10 players. I'd imagine players like Izale Mccleod, Luke Rodgers, Jon Harley and Brian Howard will be on quite high wages for league 1 so it seems they still haven't learnt their lesson.

They are all one month contracts. Apparently players were queuing up at the door to sign. Amazing with their track record, that any player would even give them a month. I guess they had no other offers, although I find it hard to believe that the above players have not been offered contracts elsewhere.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

They have been signed on monthly contracts , with the club still in administration Birch is able to use part of the parachute payment to keep things ticking over , if PST don't take over the club in the next couple of weeks the administrator's fee will shoot past the £2M mark.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
The Premier League and Football League are a joke. They have fudged the whole Pompey thing, wonder if its because they were recently in the prem and one an FA cup?

Bournmemouth, Rotherham and Luton must be spitting blood.

Wonder what the creditors think of the £3.4m sitting in Pompeys account being used to keep them going and to pay the extra 10 players they have just signed?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
The Premier League and Football League are a joke. They have fudged the whole Pompey thing, wonder if its because they were recently in the prem and one an FA cup?

Bournmemouth, Rotherham and Luton must be spitting blood.

Wonder what the creditors think of the £3.4m sitting in Pompeys account being used to keep them going and to pay the extra 10 players they have just signed?

How is all of this legal ,surely the creditors have a right to the money that they are owed

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
This gets a bigger farce by the day! I've only just stumbled across this & I don't see it mentioned anywhere else:

BBC Sport - Football League allows Portsmouth to begin on zero points

Yet again, this disgrace of a club is getting special treatment by having the minus 10 points deferred until they exit administration. Why?

I can sense a fudge further down the line.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
But didn't Rotherham and Bournemouth have ADDITONAL points deducted for not being out of Administration at the time the season started or have I missed something. Why haven't the FL got the balls to just tell Pompey to feck off to the Wessex league. There they can screw businesses to their hearts content for all I care.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I would love to see the likes of Plymouth , Luton , Rotherham challenge that ruling . Why should it be so different for Pompey ?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
But didn't Rotherham and Bournemouth have ADDITONAL points deducted for not being out of Administration at the time the season started or have I missed something. Why haven't the FL got the balls to just tell Pompey to feck off to the Wessex league. There they can screw businesses to their hearts content for all I care.

There maybe different rules about exiting a CVA in time which are different from leaving administration before the season starts. I think legal advice maybe sought by Bournemouth , Rotherham , Luton , Plymouth , Leeds , Boston , Stockport , Palace and Southampton in view of their historical points deductions.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
The next thing we will see is Pompey fans being given special dispensation at away grounds . They will only have to pay 2P in the pound for the value of their tickets . The league will justify this saying that the Supporters trust will need all the money they can get to help Pompey come out of admin.:tosser:

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

Yes that was true - and I have a feeling that this is why the points deduction isn't coming into play now. I do think that they will be hit with additional points deductions once they exit administration. Let's face it, they have less than 3 months for the PST to take-over, as company's are only allowed to trade for 12 months in administration, and if they don't exit by then, the points deduction is irrelevant because they will be liquidated.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I see now Appleton expects to sign 17, (YES 17!!!!), players in total today.

Makes you wonder whether there is any justice in the world.

Mind you I see that the Premier League have said they can't guarentee that part of the next Parachute payment can go to the Council, so that might scupper the loan there hoping for. It will be interesting to see how that plays out but I bet theres a few more twists and turns to come.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I would love to see the likes of Plymouth , Luton , Rotherham challenge that ruling . Why should it be so different for Pompey ?

Much as I don't want to defend Pompey I don't think Luton are a good example. Some of their points deduction were for dodgy dealings and 20 of them were for exiting admin without a CVA ( unfortunately if Pompey exit admin I suspect it will be via a CVA ).

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Much as I don't want to defend Pompey I don't think Luton are a good example. Some of their points deduction were for dodgy dealings and 20 of them were for exiting admin without a CVA ( unfortunately if Pompey exit admin I suspect it will be via a CVA ).

Fair point , i was making more of the fact that they were docked and the rules seem to have been bent for Pompey .

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Looking at the latest update from the Administrator today - I would say that time is almost certainly going to up for Pompey.

The player compromise agreements still totalled £8M!!!!!!! That's not compromise, that's just ticking a box. The PST have only set aside £2M to cover this, so all the player compromise agreements are now going to have to be re-negotiated (effectively). Never mind the fact that the business plan still needs FL sign-off.

I really don't think that there is the time, nor the ability to pull this off, and I don't think Portsmouth will finish the season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I see now Appleton expects to sign 17, (YES 17!!!!), players in total today.

Makes you wonder whether there is any justice in the world.

Mind you I see that the Premier League have said they can't guarentee that part of the next Parachute payment can go to the Council, so that might scupper the loan there hoping for. It will be interesting to see how that plays out but I bet theres a few more twists and turns to come.

The loan from the City Council is dependent on a strict set of conditions , mainly that they have an agreement in place with the relevant parties that the loan is guaranteed to be paid off in August 2013 with a portion of the parachute payment. Will there be enough money left after the wage deferrals are settled , administrators fees paid and running costs for the season taken into consideration ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here