Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Portsmouth boss Michael Appleton has called the potential new owners of the club "unprofessional" after being told his transfer budget has been slashed.
Appleton was believed to have been promised a budget of £4m for new player acquisitions in May, but that figure has now changed to around £1.5m.

Full story here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19244057

I am utterly speechless!

This is great entertainment , they are dying the death of a thousand cuts.I do feel sorry for the small local businesses that are going to get raped again though.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Are PST totally oblivious of the ramifications if Chainrai pulls out of the takeover deal ? Why on earth would they step in as the fallback bidder ? Granted there will be a final cheque from the Premier League but this would all be swallowed up making reimbursements. Going down the AFC Pompey route gives PST a clean sheet to start off with and gives them an element of sporting integrity.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Hmm ... looks like they're really making an effort

"I've heard that there's only been over a thousand sold but according to The News, only 850 have been sold!! ... What i say is if you can go and afford it (£10 for adults, £5 for young person & seniors and £1 for children, Bargin!) get yourself down to Fratton Park on Saturday and support the team!!"

and there are some really dedicated fans willing to do anything for the cause

"I'll be going to the match. But I won't be marching. Don't see the point."

If it's really only £10 a ticket at Fratton Park and they're having trouble selling those, I can see them heading for another administration pretty quickly

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Average League One wage was £67,850 according to some BBC figure, therefore if Pompey are paying 20 players £70k a year each, they are well over the average.

I suggest they be limited to £500 per week, per player. Seems fair.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Embarrassing that Appleton not only believed Chanrai but actually planned to spend the money he was never going to have (and which he must have known - if only historically - they could not afford). Disgraceful they would ever have contemplated a budget that size but says it all I guess about the state of their thinking even now
Agree...Surely Appleton knew that Pompey were in deep poo poo and to suddenly be offered a budget of £4m was way and beyond what the club could afford. I don't like any club go out of the league but TBH it would be the best thing for Pompey to go and restart from new!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
... there's none so dangerous as an accountant scorned as Shakespeare might have said.

[pedant alert] Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned is one of William Congreve's, not William Shakespeare

I must say that I don't go along with this idea that the administrators should take all their fees. After all just last week, Birch was urging TBH and Lawrence to drop their demands to be paid in full. It strikes me as rank hypocrisy to urge people to accept not to be paid in full while holding out for full settlement of your demands.

But if it leads to a Mexican stand-off and another points deduction, I'm all for it

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Welcome to the world of most teams in League 2, this quote is priceless:

"If the budget is what is being reported at the minute then it makes the job very, very difficult. Those players I've recruited, a lot of them I won't be able to sign because we won't be able to afford them.

"The problem you've then got is trying to find players to fit the new budget. All the best players will be gone and all you're left with are players who aren't good enough for that level."

Welcome to Planet Earth, Applebrain (he looks like an alien too!). Does this man not see how bad it will sound for him to spout this "grievance" in the press.

I was fully in the "goodbye pimpey" camp at stage one of this fiasco (the relegation from Prem / FA Cup financial hangover).

I was spitting feathers by stage two and then we seem to be cruising through more stages than Broadway now, when most self-respecting carcasses would have done the decent thing and been eaten up like good little dinners.

But no!, they somehow endure against all reason and probability and yet STILL add even more astonishment and anger to the situation by complaining that they don't survive HEALTHILY ENOUGH!

I have to say I may be changing my mind about thinking they should fold though.

It now appeals to me more that they continue to suffer in situ', learning no lessons whatsoever, continuing to inspire hatred and contempt from a growing world of incredulous onlookers and diminish slowly, painfully, messily and heavily.

Ten years in League 2's bowels followed by the eventual closure of kraP nottarF and a ground share at Havant....can we somehow prescribe all this please? PLEASE?!

And we did, often, but good management, and good directors saw us through it, it was only when TB came along that we were really in a position to step up a gear.

Sure, our ability to operate as a business at all and sustain an overall wage/salary bill well in excess of £1.5m* in recent pre-Amex years was down to the loans provided by TB and amounting, by 2009, to around £17m. Conversion of these into stock/shares in May 2009 using the facility registered with Companies House in early 2008 then enabled him to become the majority shareholder etc etc...

*2005 (£3.551m), 2006 (£4.075m), 2007 (£3.682m), 2008 (£3.889m), 2009 (£4.756m)

It's possible that our player wage bill never exceeded £1.5m/pa in any of the above seasons (I personally don't believe it); however, if true, then I would wonder who/where the rest went to?

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
£1.5m is no fortune. Equates to a squad of 20 players on £1,400 a week each.

But that's still way beyond their means. To get out of the mess they'd got themselves into the right and proper way, they should be paying players no more than matchday expenses i.e amateurs. They simply should not be allowed to exist in their current form AT ALL UNLESS creditors are paid first.

They have no right to spend money they don't have yet again.

*not ranting at you, btw....ranting at the situation*

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Average League One wage was £67,850 according to some BBC figure, therefore if Pompey are paying 20 players £70k a year each, they are well over the average.

How do those maths work?

If the AVERAGE wage were £67,850, then the average total would be well over £1.5m (most clubs have more than 20 players...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here