Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whilst I agree £1.5m is stupid money for a club in their position I think he was getting at the fact he was told it was £4m and planned signings around that only to be told it is now £1.5m a day before the season starts. Which is pretty unprofessional! Thats how I read it anyway.

However a budget of £0 should have been given to begin with.

I'm sorry, but if he actually believed he'd have £4 million to splurge on players this month then he's stupider than he looks. And thats saying something. They're in L1 FFS, they're in administration, with a reluctant owner who's only continuing interest in the club is to keep it limping on for just about long enough, so he can snaffle a few parachute payments before pulling the plug and washing his hands of the thing completely.

£4 MILLION ??!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Like Plooks said the thing here is that he had a transfer budget at all. I would agree it is unprofessional. At work if I was told I had a budget to run my team only to be told very late that in fact it was 60% less then I had been told, I would be upset as well.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Am I right in thinking that they currently do not have any professional footballers on the books?

If so, then perhaps the 1.5mil is for wages etc over the whole year. If so, I'd have thought every team in League 1 is spending more than that over the course of a season, so it probably is a very small amount to put together an entire squad (need about 20 players at least).

That's not to say I in any way feel sorry for them.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
"If the budget is what is being reported at the minute (£1.5m) then it makes the job very, very difficult. Those players I've recruited, a lot of them I won't be able to sign because we won't be able to afford them.

He does actually KNOW they're in administration....right ?

f*** me.

well it's nice that he has come to understand what most of us have known for months - the difference is he won't accept it. Now THAT is unprofessional.............nah change that..........immoral is the word I was looking for!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Who the f*** do they think they are, they truly do believe that they 'deserve' to be in the championship don't they. It's as of they think they are missed, no pompey, you are not missed, in fact good riddance, you are nothing but a cancer on the sport and a disease that deserves to rot in the basement divisions until you learn your lesson that you cant STEAL MONEY in order to do well.

C##ts

Who the f*** do they think they are, they truly do believe that they 'deserve' to be in the championship don't they. It's as of they think they are missed, no pompey, you are not missed, in fact good riddance, you are nothing but a cancer on the sport and a disease that deserves to rot in the basement divisions until you learn your lesson that you cant STEAL MONEY in order to do well.

C##ts

Nope, they believe they should be in the Premiership.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
well it's nice that he has come to understand what most of us have known for months - the difference is he won't accept it. Now THAT is unprofessional.............nah change that..........immoral is the word I was looking for!

Mr Appleton, welcome to the world of lower league football management at a financial bombsite of a club playing in a shed. You will have to scrimp. You will have to scrape. You will have to scout your arse off for freebies, ressies, crocks, cripples, cast-offs, has-beens, pub-players, school-leavers and illegal immigrants.

For you, zee Championship is over !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Still not a single fan from Pompey on here putting us right, amazing.

we hate palace

Aug 4, 2012
north chailey
that club are a disgrace the amount of companies they owe money to ,they have offered something stupid like 5p for every pound they owe and they think giving there manager that amount is ok, what a joke the fa should have thrown them out the league

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"If the budget is what is being reported at the minute (£1.5m) then it makes the job very, very difficult. Those players I've recruited, a lot of them I won't be able to sign because we won't be able to afford them.

He does actually KNOW they're in administration....right ?

f*** me.
Surely this is a wind-up? We're told they could be liquidated any day, yet they expect £4m to spend on players.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
that club are a disgrace the amount of companies they owe money to ,they have offered something stupid like 5p for every pound they owe and they think giving there manager that amount is ok, what a joke the fa should have thrown them out the league

Actualy they couldn't afford 5p, its really 2p believe it or not.

Just for the record, (and most of you who have read the other thread know how much I dislike Pompey), I think you will find that the £1.5m is for wages and I don't think there ever was a transfer budget.

Still I hope the ref can keep count tomorrow night at Plymouth.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

please don't exaggerate.................... it's 2p in the pound :lol:

Spiritualised

Jul 30, 2010
says in their local paper that their Supporters Trust had a £2.6M playing budget for him....... but, they had to get a loan from the council to make a valid bid to take over.....
seems they are desperately looking to at some level be competetive at the expense of the people they owe, rather than just survive for now and and pay debt to those local businesses who got cheated or pay up any tax they evaded.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think you will find that the £1.5m is for wages and I don't think there ever was a transfer budget.

The quote reads "Appleton was believed to have been promised a budget of £4m for new player acquisitions in May, but that figure has now changed to around £1.5m. " not quite sure that is one thing of the other, but it is still a fortune for League One.

Last edited:

Still not a single fan from Pompey on here putting us right, amazing.

Nope. The only response I've seen (well had) was when one of them told me to "f*** off you brighton bender" when I suggested on twitter the parachute payments should go to the taxman/non-football creditors that had been affected by two admins, and not the club if it were under Chanrai.

Charming lot eh!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
They are an embarrassment to football.

Insult to all the creditors!

whilst the FA do FA.

"also talking to the Football League to see if there's any additional support that they can give us until the ownership situation is resolved." WTF!!!!

Spot on. I am sick to death of these cheating bastards.
And the football authorities are an absolute f***ing disgrace.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The quote reads "Appleton was believed to have been promised a budget of £4m for new player acquisitions in May, but that figure has now changed to around £1.5m. " not quite sure that is one thing of the other, but it is still a fortune for League One.

£1.5m is no fortune. Equates to a squad of 20 players on £1,400 a week each.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here