Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
[pedant alert] Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned is one of William Congreve's, not William Shakespeare

I must say that I don't go along with this idea that the administrators should take all their fees. After all just last week, Birch was urging TBH and Lawrence to drop their demands to be paid in full. It strikes me as rank hypocrisy to urge people to accept not to be paid in full while holding out for full settlement of your demands.

But if it leads to a Mexican stand-off and another points deduction, I'm all for it

I am suitably admonished - hoist with my own petard indeed (that's definitely Shakespeare!!) :lol:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
You are here
Sport
>
Pompey
>
Pompey Past

Pompey prepare to pull plug on Andersen

By Neil Allen
Published on Tuesday 14 August 2012 10:00

Mikkel Andersen is expected to be the first target to be culled as Michael Appleton attempts to cope with his 62.50-per-cent budget cut.

The highly-regarded Reading keeper had agreed to join Pompey on a season-long loan once a takeover had been completed.

That move is now set to be scrapped, with the Blues no longer able to afford his wages.

Portpin’s decision to slash a previously-agreed proposed playing budget of £4m to £1.5m in the past week has accounted for that.

In addition, Appleton anticipates losing 50 per cent of the recruits he has been lining up since the start of May.

That includes Billy Paynter, who yesterday signed for Doncaster rather than arriving at Fratton Park.

Last week Peter Ramage (Crystal Palace) and Tommy Elphick (Bournemouth) slipped out of the Blues’ grasp as their patience finally wore out.

Portpin’s U-turn has devastated a summer’s planning for Appleton. It has also destroyed much remaining faith among Pompey fans towards their intentions.

Appleton is still waiting to learn of their reasons for doing so, with both Balram Chainrai and Levi Kushnir so far refusing to take or return his calls.

In the meantime, he has been left with a £1.5m budget – believed to be among the five lowest in League One.

That figure matches the budget League Two side Northampton Town operated on last year.

Pre-season opposition AFC Wimbledon’s budget is £1m, while Wycombe Wanderers, relegated from League One last term, have a budget of £1.25m.

In contrast, the Pompey Supporters’ Trust have factored in £2.65m for a playing budget in their business plan.

And while Pompey await Portpin to finalise their long-running takeover, Appleton is left with starting his rebuilding all over again – days before the start of the league campaign.

He said: ‘The arrival of Andersen is something we have to decide over the next two or three days because you have got to weigh up every scenario.

‘The honest answer is it will obviously be very, very difficult and we would have to compensate in different areas to get him through the building.

‘If it becomes a situation where we will have to miss out on two or three players to get him, that would make life very, very difficult and I think you have got to make a sensible decision from there.

‘You might have six or seven who you thought were real key players. It might be now we can only sign two or three of them.

‘You will have to build a younger squad around them and hopefully that will be competitive to keep them in that division.

‘I think I’ve already lost out on at least 12-15 players in terms of the timescale, regardless of the budget. We will probably now lose out on another 50 per cent.

‘At the minute, I still think we are in a position where we can do something with those players on trial. There might have to be a bit of give and take in those areas but I still think we can do something.

‘It’s a bit of a mess. It didn’t have to be this way and I am a little bit surprised and shocked that it has gone this far.

‘I expected it to be dealt with before this – but for whatever reason the owners are not playing ball.’

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Stabilised to a degree (& unlike Pompey, out of administration). But they did finish at the arse end of League Two last season so they can't be all that.

Looking forward to seeing Pompey's team tonight :lolol:

Though it would be bloody typical of them to field a bunch of 18 year olds and win.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
They were seriously after Tommy Elphick? Seeing how Bournemouth have just paid six figures for him, I very much doubt that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just for the record, (and most of you who have read the other thread know how much I dislike Pompey), I think you will find that the £1.5m is for wages and I don't think there ever was a transfer budget.

Still I hope the ref can keep count tomorrow night at Plymouth.

Exactly. As everyone knows, I yield to no-one in my contempt for P*rtsm**th, but I think Appleton was talking about free agents he'd promised contracts to - offers that he will now have to withdraw.

Love it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They were seriously after Tommy Elphick? Seeing how Bournemouth have just paid six figures for him, I very much doubt that.

Never mind that: they were seriously after Billy Paynter :lolol:

And lost out in the bidding FRENZY to Doncaster Rovers :lolol:

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Appleton appears to be looking for a way out now by engineering the sack for himself. If he gets the boot, I can see Chainrai installing some unknown incompetent as part of the Stealth rundown plan for PFC.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
ONLY £1.5 Million ?!?!?!?!?!? ???

Some clubs in that league dont even have that much to spend and its disgusting that they are moaning about having that amount when they shouldnt even be spending anything !!!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Last edited:

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Appleton appears to be looking for a way out now by engineering the sack for himself. If he gets the boot, I can see Chainrai installing some unknown incompetent as part of the Stealth rundown plan for PFC.

Job seems just right for Steve Keane when he gets the sack in September!!!! He also has the hide of an elephant and by God you will need it at Pompeyscum

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Be interesting to see what squad they end up with on September 1st unless they claim to be a special case and deadline doesn't apply ? Isn't there a further points deduction due if they haven't exited administration by Saturday ?

Strangely actually there isn't. You don't get points deducted for being in administration at the start of the season. In fact even the 10 points they have been deducted so far don't actually take effect until the new owners, (if there are ever any), take over. Therefore in theory Portsmouth could win on Saturday and be on 3 points and then get taken over on Sunday and immediately be on -7.

I know its loopy but thats the rule apparently. Seems that when new owners take over they get hit with the points deduction then, which does seem strange. Mind you as the Football League seem to have almost unlimited powers on how they deduct points they will probably hit Pompey again for some strange rule infringement.

Pompey won’t face further league points loss - Pompey Past - Portsmouth News

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The news gets better and better

Young Blues deserve apology as Appy fumes - Pompey Past - Portsmouth News

Just how many extra points will they be docked if the CVA doesn't go through this week?

Quite impressed with some of the comments at the bottom of that;

Stop moaning and get on with it. We're getting a reputation as "it's not fair" FC. Plymouth took their medicine and played with 17yr olds last year. Of course it should be different for us NOT.

The Football League should not have allowed things to get this far. We should have been given a deadline to be taken over. If we survive, and eventually strengthen, then clubs who play us early in the season wil have gained an advantage over clubs who play us later. Sporting competition? I don't think so.

.....other clubs have been in this position.other clubs have had to survive on their young players only . to regains some credibility pompey may have to do the same . those young players will either rise to the challenge and become better players or fall in which case they are no good to anyone .if its the latter we will get no help or can expect no help from anyone so lets get behind this team of youngsters

Especially this one

If only these youngsters had been properly developed over the last 2 years instead of playing a cat and mouse game with the league, hiding them away so that all the cash could be spent on £20K+ a week superstars!
Is it finally time to take the long view and start developing a sustainable structure or is it all too late?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Strangely actually there isn't. You don't get points deducted for being in administration at the start of the season. In fact even the 10 points they have been deducted so far don't actually take effect until the new owners, (if there are ever any), take over. Therefore in theory Portsmouth could win on Saturday and be on 3 points and then get taken over on Sunday and immediately be on -7.

I know its loopy but thats the rule apparently. Seems that when new owners take over they get hit with the points deduction then, which does seem strange. Mind you as the Football League seem to have almost unlimited powers on how they deduct points they will probably hit Pompey again for some strange rule infringement.

Pompey won’t face further league points loss - Pompey Past - Portsmouth News

Didn't Bournemouth and Rotherham both fail to come out of administration before the season began and ended up with a 17 points deduction ? It was the same season as Luton started on -30 of which 10 of those points were for not exiting administration in time.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Didn't Bournemouth and Rotherham both fail to come out of administration before the season began and ended up with a 17 points deduction ? It was the same season as Luton started on -30 of which 10 of those points were for not exiting administration in time.

Luton weren’t in administration. Their point’s deduction was for financial irregularities

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here