Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will God help Madeline McCann?

I would like to know how my serious theological Friday thread has decended into 'Childish Ramblings'. :angry:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Lokki 7 said:
No. Description of the fact may change from place to place, but the fact remains. You may call a football round. A martian may call the same object an ice cream but it is still the same thing. A triangle will always have three sides whatever language you speak.

Have you seen the film They Live?

Science offers us 90% truth, or something, and a certificate and theorum that states whatever found unchallengeable. Which just opens the door for others to contest and disprove.

I understand almost nothing at all, but the notions of chaos theory and dark matter throw themselves into constant factual arenas with only what some imagine as the definitive answer.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
sorry folks late arrival here.

i'd really appreciate a precis from kev the ape or his mum, both of whom i saw last sunday at the french market.

my (french) wife was rather unimpressed to hear me shout " f*** me that's nsc legend kev and his mum" but still, could kev or a friend please summarise this thread in english or dare i ask even french?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Lokki 7 said:
The wise man realises he understands nothing.

No I haven't seen the film. Should I?

I ain't wise. Just a forgetful, bone-sucking zombie chasing sticks slowly in the park.

Yes, see They Live. It's Rowdy Roddy Piper's greatest onscreen adventure. It questions all the life we now know and accept as fact.
Although i recommend Hell Comes To Frogtown too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Starry said:
I think given some of their other choices the word 'supposedly' is key in your paragraph.

So now you're questioning their religious position (as well as getting not so subtle digs in at their parenting ability at every opportunity) too?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Bozza said:
So now you're questioning their religious position (as well as getting not so subtle digs in at their parenting ability at every opportunity) too?

Yup.

And I don't need to be subtle. They screwed up and made one of the very worst parenting decisions they could have. I've never said otherwise, nor tried to be subtle.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
goldstone said:
Just because you don't understand something there's no need to take the easy route of believing there's a god. Science will reveal everything given time. I may not understand most of it, but one thing I am sure of is that there is no almighty being hanging around somewhere expecting us to pray to it.

Science is in itself a form of faith. By definition, science cannot reveal everything, Godel proved this years ago with the incompleteness theorum. Indeed, science and religion are not incomatible. They both model our intellectual incapacity to understand our place in the universe and explain it in terms that humans understand. Both have been missused (e.g. climate change), both are open to question and both are certainly incorrect (in a cosmic sense).

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Lokki 7 said:
Everyone is entitled to their view, and of course we can never know the answer. For what it's worth, ie not very much, I like the scientific view. Every atom that goes to make up "you" in the physical sense will end up going into something else when you die, regardless of how you are disposed of. Worms, may nibble on you and turn you into mud, nutrients that tress or flowers suck up and shed back into the world. Or perhaps one day you will be crushed into a pool of oil to fuel someones car and be farted out into a poluted atmosphere to float around for centuries. Or maybe a diamond to adorn someones engagement ring. The list of possibilities is endless. Did you know that every iron atom in your body was formed in the centre of a super nova? And from there they ended up in you, how amazing is that? It is a fact that after you die, every last atom will live on in some shape or form, an incredible re-incarnation if you will. The million dollar question is will your soul live on? Is this a physical thing or something altogether different. To be honest, I don't really care either way but quite like thinking about it on sunny boring Fridays when the mind wanders and the pub beckons.

:clap: :clap:

Science and nature in his world are far more beautiful than any religion could be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here