Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will God help Madeline McCann?

The parents of Madeline McCann are supposedly devout Catholics, they must then believe that god is all powerful, all seeing and that nothing can oppose his will. Given this belief, surely it must be the case that god either wanted their daughter to be abducted, or at least knew it happened and chose to do nothing about it? Is it the case that god is punishing them for leaving their children unattended? Not the sort of god I would turn to to get me through such hard times, I’d be more likely to give the pope a slap then bow down before him.
(Unless they were just tapping him for information due to his extensive experience with pedophiles, but I somehow doubt it.)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
People will turn to whatever they think will help them in a time of crisis.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
I think given some of their other choices the word 'supposedly' is key in your paragraph.

FalmerforAll!** said:
If God saved everyone then we'd know he was there,and it wouldn't be a question of those faithful enough to follow him already.

So you are saying that god wants us to suffer so that we will worship him?

Since they lost their child in a latin country, and around them are other latin countries with many Catholic inhabitants - interest and pleas from the Pope is a very good idea - whether a calculated ploy or not.

If I were them, I'd try everything to get my child back, regardless of what some others think.

The investigators should also check her ex-boyfriends, his exes, neighbours, the parents themselves (I expect that has already been looked at), adoption agencies online and off, transients, and human trafficing to North Africa.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Lokki 7 said:
So you are saying that god wants us to suffer so that we will worship him?

No,thats not fair at all.

God created a perfect world,we ruined it. What happens to us is not God's doing,we made this mess and we should get out of it.

FalmerforAll!** said:

God created a perfect world,we ruined it. What happens to us is not God's doing,we made this mess and we should get out of it.

But he made us. Are you saying that gods creation was not perfect? That god f***ed it up in effect?

FalmerforAll!** said:

Why did god create the tree of knowledge? Was he wanting us to eat of it aand fall? Was he just having a laugh to see if we would? Either way a bit of a wanker if you ask me.

Either that or it's a sodding great fairy story based on a book which in itself is a rehash of indian and chinese folk tales.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
if God can't help thousands of kids in africa being slughtered through ethnic cleansing or tens of thousands in Iraq, I don't think he will do much about Maddie.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
People just like to be re assured by religion and their faith in times of crisis. The reality is that them going to see the pope is more useful as a publicity stunt rather than some sort of divine intervention.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I see the McCanns are off to Spain now, followed by Holland, Morocco and Germany to 'raise awareness' or milk their 15 minutes for all it's worth, depending on your level of cynicism. After all, don't all couples who negligently fail to take care of their children go off on little jollies around the world with a bevy of cameras and journalists in tow?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6703117.stm

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If by seeing him, he gives solice in their time of suffering, and they believe that there is such an entity of God, who are we to pass judgement.

At the end of the day ( literally), we will find out if there is such a thing as God when we die.

Before then, it is a matter of faith.

I fail to see why people with faith are subject to ridicule.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Dave the Gaffer said:
If by seeing him, he gives solice in their time of suffering, and they believe that there is such an entity of God, who are we to pass judgement.

At the end of the day ( literally), we will find out if there is such a thing as God when we die.

Before then, it is a matter of faith.

I fail to see why people with faith are subject to ridicule.

It's not that theyre subject to ridicule particularly, my whole family are catholics but the way I see it is this:

They have first of all as posted above been negligent in caring for their children, thats my opinion I know theres lots of different thoughts on it but at the end of the day if they had a bag full to the brim with notes totalling a million pounds they would not have left it in that room while they went for dinner FACT.

On the faith point people always use their faith for strength in times of crisis, it's not that people ridicule them but them going to see the pope will not help at all to bring madeline home apart from the fact that its a publicity stunt and gets a few more front page pictures and raises awareness. This has absolutely nothing to do with their faith.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why have a pop at religion. Just because you dont believe it doesnt mean you should start attacking it.

I know you would say the same if they were jews, or muslim or buddhist or whatever but there really is no need.

As BHAE says people will turn to whatever they believe in at a time of crisis.

Even if it was that the world was created by martians and really we are living under a fingernail of an all powerful monster robot.

I agree that its cynical that they are milking it but that is not the fault of their faith.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
For your devout believers (and I'm sure even priests, come to that) this kind of thing must test your faith like nothing else. If there is some all-powerful presence, how could they allow this to happen?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Lokki 7 said:
The parents of Madeline McCann are supposedly devout Catholics, they must then believe that god is all powerful, all seeing and that nothing can oppose his will. Given this belief, surely it must be the case that god either wanted their daughter to be abducted, or at least knew it happened and chose to do nothing about it? Is it the case that god is punishing them for leaving their children unattended? Not the sort of god I would turn to to get me through such hard times, I’d be more likely to give the pope a slap then bow down before him.
(Unless they were just tapping him for information due to his extensive experience with pedophiles, but I somehow doubt it.)

If I genuinely wanted the answer to that (as opposed to say, good pubs in town) - I probably would not ask NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here