Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins where would we be now?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Wilkins was a great manager , played the youth and still got results , 7th place in his second season in managing is pretty good , we should have kept him and i think we would of been in the championship , Withdean WAS a fortress back then .

But now we have Gus Poyet 2 years later and i think hes the man to lead us on to Falmer , our form at home may not be the best it maybe the worst but i think if we start picking up points we will be safe with a mid table finish .

Wilkins is the past
Poyet is the future .

Withdean was a fortress in our Championship seasons and the play off season. It definitely was not a fortress under Wilkins. Off the top of my head, we lost to struggling teams like Port Vale, Yeovil and bottom of the football league Mansfield in the FA Cup. Admittedly it may seem like a fortress compared to our home record since. Anyone who thinks we would be in the Championship if Wilkins was still boss is deluded.

D

Deleted member 2719

Err yes.........here

......and could you show me where my hatred is so apparent?

You can spin any stats as much as you like but the final position come the last day of the season is the most important and 7th was an excellent position considering he was playing lads that most Albion supporters seem not to rate anymore.

You can not deny the facts that Wilkins did a excellent job in a results business, but i am sure you will.

Any thread to do with Wilkins you show a hatred for Dean.

I wonder if you celebrated his Ipswich free kick at times.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Let's take a look where our 3 previous managers are now:

Wilkins - At a bigger club than the Albion & will certainly obtain promotion to the championship before us

Adams - Poor manager & has found his right level in League 2

Slade - Unemployed?

Poyet - Early days. Made some reasonable signings but has kept too much dead wood on board & not made any big signings. Not as good as Wilkins yet.

Harsh? But fair. It's a results business not a popularity competition.
I suspect that if Wilkins was in charge then we would not be 5th bottom & I suspect in the bottom 4 by next week.

What about the abuse Wilkins got when he was in the job, infact the only time he seemed to be winning the fans around was towards the very end of his spell in charge, a spell where we were never contenders for a play-off place despite finishing 7th.

There were alot of people on here and at the ground calling for him to be sacked during his spell, and also calling for Adams return. They eventually got there wish (ok the timing wasn't the best, but if the reason he went was something substantial, as rumours suggest and not just results / league position) and unfortunately it just didn't work out.

One question you have to ask is, barring Poyet, how many of our recent managers have been welcomed and supported in the jobs, even when things first start to go wrong, rather than suffer abuse and calls for their heads? (Wilkins, Adams, Slade?)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You can spin any stats as much as you like but the final position come the last day of the season is the most important and 7th was an excellent position considering he was playing lads that most Albion supporters seem not to rate anymore.

And what about 18th the previous season?

The players that turned the season around IMO were Racon, Westlake and Murray, hardly kids and nothing to do with the youth team. We went from 16th after 29 games to 7th, which was very good, I've never said different.

You can not deny the facts that Wilkins did a excellent job in a results business, but i am sure you will.

Here you have contradicted yourself, you talk about a results business, but then say that statistics such as 36 wins and 36 defeats, which surely are 'results', should be ignored.

Any thread to do with Wilkins you show a hatred for Dean.

Then presumably you will have no problems illustrating this 'hatred', will you?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Without reading the natural binfestry that occurs whenever Wilkins name is mentioned (and no doubt McGhee is in there somewhere as well) if Wilkins was still in charge I reckon we would be having an outside chance of play offs.

Definitely not two years of struggling. No way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here