Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins where would we be now?

D

Deleted member 2719

I think you are right, it's the team that spent £1m on a centre forward during the close season, plays to crowds of 20,000 a week and for which Alan Pardew is manager.

Your hatred for Dean is so apparent but can you give him ANY CREDIT for what he did in his 20 years at the Albion and ANY CREDIT for the success at Southampton?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well, people say that the table doesn't lie when talking about our current plight, so why shouldn't that apply to the 2007/08 season too?

Because we finished like a train - a First Capital Connect train. The standard of play overall in that division that season was seriously shitty, and we may well have finished seventh, but we were a country mile away from finishing sixth, and we only played anywhere near a decent standard that season in the Autumn. IMHO, like.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
36 Wins and 36 defeats is okay, but surely hardly constitutes 'great'.

El P, how much money did he have to spend compared to Adams and then Slade? Come on, I also am a Knight fan but that doesn't mean you have to be blind to the fact that Wilkins did a superb job to finish 7th, play passing football and with players like Jake Robinson and dean cox as his "stars". He got a passing midfield, worked the loan system well and he finished 7th. Ive no idea why he fell out with Knight as I'm not a party to it, but probably best to say they both did a good job and a shame they fell out?

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Because we finished like a train - a First Capital Connect train. The standard of play overall in that division that season was seriously shitty, and we may well have finished seventh, but we were a country mile away from finishing sixth, and we only played anywhere near a decent standard that season in the Autumn. IMHO, like.

I seem to remember excellent draws away to Forest and Leeds in February/March time, when a more adventurous approach might have given us all three points in both matches. But fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree.

DK sacked Wilkins which to me was outrageous and at the time I felt it was an ill-timed and bad decision. So I thought to myself, "well hopefully he has got some magnificent coach in the pipe line", WRONG, we got Micky mouse. People were drooling over him at the time but i knew that since he had left the Albion he had been awful and done jack shit.

We basically replaced a flourishing young manager with 20 years of experience at the club with Colchester united's assistant manager. The "older" players didn't like him because he was to "text" book, Wilkins basically didn't let them go out on the lash as much as they wanted to.

I know someone who's wife works at the club. She said as soon as Adams came in they were all shocked, they where training and he was sunbathing. This person also said Mcleod was a nice bloke and loves his food:wink:

Wilkins style got result's, it was a mixture of long balls and good passing which got us to 7th place. We were very much like that Millwall team yesterday. Nobody would bat and eye lid at them yet they still came away with all 3 points. If Wilkins was still here Racon and Westlake would probably be at the club and I think we would be top 8 maybe in league one, I would have settled for that.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
About where we are as he would have been sacked the following season anyway

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
struggling in the championship but in the championship nevertheless.

just before he was sacked he was talking about having already lined up his transfers for the following season. based on the quality of his previous signings, how the players at the club had improved throughout his regime, and the fact that he'd taken a team to 7th under very difficult circumstances in his first proper season, i think he'd have got us promoted last season.

the second half of his one and only full season was excellent. he's a massive loss to the club and we've been utter turd from the moment he left.

Let's take a look where our 3 previous managers are now:

Wilkins - At a bigger club than the Albion & will certainly obtain promotion to the championship before us

Adams - Poor manager & has found his right level in League 2

Slade - Unemployed?

Poyet - Early days. Made some reasonable signings but has kept too much dead wood on board & not made any big signings. Not as good as Wilkins yet.

Harsh? But fair. It's a results business not a popularity competition.
I suspect that if Wilkins was in charge then we would not be 5th bottom & I suspect in the bottom 4 by next week.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
El P, how much money did he have to spend compared to Adams and then Slade? Come on, I also am a Knight fan but that doesn't mean you have to be blind to the fact that Wilkins did a superb job to finish 7th, play passing football and with players like Jake Robinson and dean cox as his "stars". He got a passing midfield, worked the loan system well and he finished 7th. Ive no idea why he fell out with Knight as I'm not a party to it, but probably best to say they both did a good job and a shame they fell out?

I don't know how much money he had to spend in total, I do recall we spent £300,000 on a player which was the most money we had spent on an individual in 20 years though. Under McGhee we made a profit on transfers of about £3million, got promoted, stayed up in the Championship, but no one gives him any credit for that, or am I missing something?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Your hatred for Dean is so apparent but can you give him ANY CREDIT for what he did in his 20 years at the Albion and ANY CREDIT for the success at Southampton?

Err yes.........here

36 Wins and 36 defeats is okay, but surely hardly constitutes 'great'.

......and could you show me where my hatred is so apparent?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Does anyone think our team with Jake Robinson, Dean Cox and Sam Rents would seriously be challenging Norwich, Leeds, Charlton etc this year?

Gav1901

Banned
May 14, 2008
Southwick
Wilkins was a great manager , played the youth and still got results , 7th place in his second season in managing is pretty good , we should have kept him and i think we would of been in the championship , Withdean WAS a fortress back then .

But now we have Gus Poyet 2 years later and i think hes the man to lead us on to Falmer , our form at home may not be the best it maybe the worst but i think if we start picking up points we will be safe with a mid table finish .

Wilkins is the past
Poyet is the future .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone think our team with Jake Robinson, Dean Cox and Sam Rents would seriously be challenging Norwich, Leeds, Charlton etc this year?

That would depend on how well the continued to developed, who else was in the team with them, both helping them to develop prior to this season, and playing alongside them this season.

The point of the hypothetical of where we would be if wilkins had stayed in charge would have to include whether or not Robinson, Cox and Rents would have improved or if they suffered having Wilkins removed.

I think we can all agree the loss of Wilkins certainly didn't help them to continue to develop.

Would they have continued to develop if Wilkins was with us?

I believe so.

Enough to compete with Leeds? I think even if they hadn't developed any further, they would have provided better competition to Leeds than our current crop did earlier this season. I remember being seriously disappointed with our performance v Leeds in November, and at withdean last year, too.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Let's take a look where our 3 previous managers are now:

Wilkins - At a bigger club than the Albion & will certainly obtain promotion to the championship before us

Adams - Poor manager & has found his right level in League 2

Slade - Unemployed?

Poyet - Early days. Made some reasonable signings but has kept too much dead wood on board & not made any big signings. Not as good as Wilkins yet.

Harsh? But fair. It's a results business not a popularity competition.
I suspect that if Wilkins was in charge then we would not be 5th bottom & I suspect in the bottom 4 by next week.

That is complete crap. How can you compare Wilkins at Southampton to the rest. He is assistant manager not manager so actually, despite leaving us a year and a half ago, he hasn't been offered a manager's job. This suggests to me our biggest mistake was making him manager in the first place as we lost a loyal servant and good coach.

As for Poyet, you cannot get rid of the deadwood if nobody wants them. I doubt Poyet has been turning away queues of managers waiting to sign McLeod and Livermore. Poyet has been assistant manager at Tottenham which is a lot higher than Wilkins has ever been.

Also, I have seen some people mention good football under Wilkins. I don't know where people get that from but some of the games we had that season we were truly dreadful and we didn't play this fantastic passing game. We are not getting the results yet, but in my opinion the football we are playing under Poyet is much better and results will come.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
That is complete crap. How can you compare Wilkins at Southampton to the rest. He is assistant manager not manager so actually, despite leaving us a year and a half ago, he hasn't been offered a manager's job. This suggests to me our biggest mistake was making him manager in the first place as we lost a loyal servant and good coach.

As for Poyet, you cannot get rid of the deadwood if nobody wants them. I doubt Poyet has been turning away queues of managers waiting to sign McLeod and Livermore. Poyet has been assistant manager at Tottenham which is a lot higher than Wilkins has ever been.

Also, I have seen some people mention good football under Wilkins. I don't know where people get that from but some of the games we had that season we were truly dreadful and we didn't play this fantastic passing game. We are not getting the results yet, but in my opinion the football we are playing under Poyet is much better and results will come.

WITCH

BURN HIM :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here