Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins where would we be now?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think that DK should have waited until we had a bad run at the start of the next season and then made his move rather than bring MA in when he did. If by any chance we started well, which I wouldnt have expected, we could have continued with Wilkins.

That's even worse! :ohmy: The one right thing about the entire affair is that Dick Knight allowed Micky the entire summer to assemble his squad and take preseason the way he wanted to, it's incredible to suggest that we should have waited for Wilkins' side to have a bad run before replacing him with Micky!

I have to be honest, I think I'm going to be dramatic and give your post a :facepalm: for effect.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Who said replace him with MA I didnt, I believe in the idea you shouldnt go back. That was the mistake.

Oh really, I think I misunderstood you then. Somehow. :glare:

I think that DK should have waited until we had a bad run at the start of the next season and then made his move rather than bring MA in when he did. If by any chance we started well, which I wouldnt have expected, we could have continued with Wilkins.

:shrug: I missed something there did I? I suppose, technically, you could argue your point but I really don't think you're on solid ground if you do, considering how you worded your post.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The mistake was (a) bringing in MA when he did (b) bringing in MA a 2nd time. What I said was he shouldnt have brought in MA when he did. I never said he should have waited to bring in MA. Just that he should have waited to makle his move.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Are we talking about the Dean Wilkins who went to a side with 10 points LESS than us, and who now have 5 points MORE...?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
:shrug: I missed something there did I? I suppose, technically, you could argue your point but I really don't think you're on solid ground if you do, considering how you worded your post.

The mistake was (a) bringing in MA when he did (b) bringing in MA a 2nd time. What I said was he shouldnt have brought in MA when he did. I never said he should have waited to bring in MA. Just that he should have waited to makle his move.

It was a poorly worded post from BG. It didn't make clear BG's position on the hiring of MA, indeed, making it seem like he thought DK should have tied MA after a poor run from DW.

BG isn't the only poster to have not expressed his point clearly, he isn't even the first, and he won't be the last. I daresay I've done it, and you have too, ninja, 'd wager.

To turn this into an argument of whether or not BG is contradicting himself about MA, and how he is on shaky ground trying to explain himself, is pointless and goes off the central point of this discussion.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think under Wilkins we would be mid table in the championship with an outside chance at the play off spot.

He would have nurted the youngsters and we would have one of the brightest young squads in the division.

What was Dick thinking when he kicked him into touch for Has been Adams ??? ?

It still makes me sick to think about that scandoluous decision.

We would still be playing at Withdean, with a load of moaners complaining left, right and centre.

No chance we would be a Mid Table Championship side, no chance of pushing for the play offs from that division, and if you seriously believe that, given our limited ability to compete at that level (ground, training facilities, money etc) then you are in desperate need of one of these

Attachments

• straight jacket.jpg
    straight jacket.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 124

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Ok sorry BG, that's fair enough then I just misinterpreted what you had said.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Are we talking about the Dean Wilkins who went to a side with 10 points LESS than us, and who now have 5 points MORE...?

I think you are right, it's the team that spent £1m on a centre forward during the close season, plays to crowds of 20,000 a week and for which Alan Pardew is manager.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
:facepalm:
Whatever anyone says about the man, he had us playing decent football on the pitch and he was improving the squad steadily.

The football that year under Wilkins was absolutely putrid - yes we ended up 7th but with awful football
I am not saying the football since then has been any much better(until now) but Wilkins' football was DIRE

Last edited:

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
He would have nurted the youngsters and we would have one of the brightest young squads in the division.

The key question is whether DW would have continued to develop and motivate the youngsters. Perhaps they just got complacent under MA, but it could be argued that players like Cox and Elphick have trodden water or even gone backwards after making a positive initial impact. Or have they just reached their true level?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
7th in the league.

Quote that idiot stat til kingdom come but it don't change the fact that we finished a very poor 7th in a very crappy division. Plus Wilkins was, well let's just say its a credit to all concerned that nobody's openly ever posted on here why he was relieved of his duties.

D

Deleted member 2719

Is this the same Wilkins that most of the senior players didnt like or rate. I think that the decision to sack him was right but the timing was wrong and has caused us problems and put us back 2 seasons on our aim for Championship football to go into Falmer with.

Nothing to do that Wilkins was build a young dynamic side to take on the championship and the senior players were becoming dead wood then?

The decision was appalling.

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Quote that idiot stat til kingdom come but it don't change the fact that we finished a very poor 7th in a very crappy division.

Well, people say that the table doesn't lie when talking about our current plight, so why shouldn't that apply to the 2007/08 season too? For God's sake, give credit where credit's due. Finishing 7th was a very creditable achievement given the resources at his disposal and was a significant improvement over the previous season, something we haven't seen over the past couple of years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here