Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins where would we be now?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think under Wilkins we would be mid table in the championship with an outside chance at the play off spot.

He would have nurted the youngsters and we would have one of the brightest young squads in the division.

What was Dick thinking when he kicked him into touch for Has been Adams ??? ?

It still makes me sick to think about that scandoluous decision.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is this the same Wilkins that most of the senior players didnt like or rate. I think that the decision to sack him was right but the timing was wrong and has caused us problems and put us back 2 seasons on our aim for Championship football to go into Falmer with.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Pushing for a play off spot to the Premiership at Withdean? You are crazy mate, seriously, think about it and MOVE.ON.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think that the decision to sack him was right but the timing was wrong.

:facepalm: What a stupid comment. Sacking him was right was it? Whether the players liked him or not, they were playing for him. 7th in the league. Whatever anyone says about the man, he had us playing decent football on the pitch and he was improving the squad steadily. He was badly treated and he was a massive loss. I think that only became apparent a few months into the Adams campaign.

I was thinking yesterday about this subject, funnily enough. I think we'd atleast be in the top 6 at the moment. You look at Swindon and wonder why it's them there and not us. But, we're extremely unsettled at this football club and will be until we move into Falmer. Hopefully, once we get there and we have ourselves a fitting home, we'll improve. At the moment we're a league 1 side playing at a league 2 ground.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
I think we would be in the quarter finals of the Champions League, Jake Robinson and Jonny Dixon would be in the England Squad for South Africa, and Dick Knight (LIAR!!!!) would be being quizzed by the Chilcott Inquiry about what happened to the Wembley Cup Final money.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i really dont think we'd have gone up with Wilkins, though we'd be nearer the other end of the table certainly. Hopfully with a full pre-season and his own players, thats were we will be next season under Poyet, pushing for promotion.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think under Wilkins we would be mid table in the championship with an outside chance at the play off spot.

Are you off your rocker?

Allow me to pose this question - if, as you seem to believe, Wilkins is such a miracle-worker, why is he 'only' an assistant manager now rather than a manager somewhere?

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
We have moved on........................ to 5th bottom in the division.

:lolol: but give GP a chance to clear out the hoofers of Adams and the waste of money signings of Slade. GP is at least a step ahead in that he knows that you need to pass the ball to a bloke in the same shirt, which whilst a revolution to some, is something that both Wilkins and GP have in common

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
What people don't realise is that every game that we won under Wilkins gave us three (3!!!!!) points, and you can't do any better than that shirley?

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
The problem with liking Wilkins is that some see it as disloyal to Knght, whih is the wrong way of looking at it. DK was fabulous for the club, his record speaks for itself. Wilkins did a great job as manager, his record speaks for itself. I dont know why they fell out, and its a shame they did, but either way, I say fair play to both DK and Wilkins, but can we give GP a chance to build a team?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Allow me to pose this question - if, as you seem to believe, Wilkins is such a miracle-worker, why is he 'only' an assistant manager now rather than a manager somewhere?

Allow me to answer on behalf of my Goring.

Dean Wilkins isn't a big name in the name, I think we'd all agree on that. He was a big name here for the hard work he'd done not only as a player, but with his youth team producing so many good players. He deserved to be the first team coach under McGhee for the last few months, and I'm sure McGhee was helping him quite a bit with advice and whatnot, in preparation for the inevitable replacement. Wilkins earnt the right to get the managers job here, and so he did. He didn't get it because he was a name, he got it through the hard work he'd done at the club for a long old time. He wouldn't have that at any other club and I've no doubt that a board wouldn't be interested in appointing someone who would immediately have the fans immitating this geezer:
:shrug:

Look at Megson at Bolton. He did a cracking job for them, but the fans were against his appointment from the start because he's a boring sod, as is Wilkins to be honest. The fans never wanted him there, and eventually they got their way. Megson is never going to be popular with the fans of his club, and I would classify Wilkins the same. Besides, I think he's better as a #2 at a club like Southampton where he can go about his work in the background and not have to be the main man.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is this the same Wilkins that most of the senior players didnt like or rate. I think that the decision to sack him was right but the timing was wrong and has caused us problems and put us back 2 seasons on our aim for Championship football to go into Falmer with.

I agree with ninja, that it is irrelevant if they liked him or not. They were performing and getting results. As far as I'm aware the senior players that didn't like him were the ones who were not playing as often. Most players don't like a manager that won't play them.

I think firing a manager who is getting wins is always the wrong decision (with the exception of extreme examples of PR). If he's difficult to work with, swallow it. As long as he is getting results, he is doing what he was hired to do.

I also think you're wrong about the problem being the timing. The timing wasn't the problem. The problem was the replacement, and the environment the replacement had to work in. The politics in the board room, Lloyd/Bloom/Knight/Adams lack of hierarchy, was also part of the problem.

They could have done the switch in january, the result would have been the same.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that DK should have waited until we had a bad run at the start of the next season and then made his move rather than bring MA in when he did. If by any chance we started well, which I wouldnt have expected, we could have continued with Wilkins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here