Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins Versus McGhee

NMH said:
Fair enough, not everyone had the required faith in that happening, and in my opinion there wasn't much to suggest he was going to get things going in the right direction, other than him saying it.

Well, the evidence is contrary to that. He brought through Dean Cox, when no one on NSC was suggesting he start the season. He brought in Alex Revell for peanuts. McGhee's big problem at the beiginning of this season was his two best central defenders were injured. All of Wilkins' victories have been built on the rock of Butters and Hinsh.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
f***ing hell I go away for a while and this old arguement is STILL rambling on.

Think I will go away again :wave:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
Well, the evidence is contrary to that. He brought through Dean Cox, when no one on NSC was suggesting he start the season.
I wouldn't say no one. :cool:

Silent Bob said:
I wouldn't say no one. :cool:

Yes, I did call for it, in the thread "Dean Cox is ten times a better player than Martin Brittain" thanks for remembering :D

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
McGhee & LI

He has gone LI get over it.
He isn’t ever coming back.
Go and watch the team he is manager of!

Arrid said:
McGhee & LI

He has gone LI get over it.
He isn’t ever coming back.
Go and watch the team he is manager of!
FU - I actually quite enjoyed watching Brighton tonight, did you? As you posted at 9.43, I'm guessing not :salute: :salute: :salute:

For your infomation, that was about the time we lost the toss on the pens and choice of ends :salute: :salute: :salute:

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:

We do not have a bad team now at all, but it will need time to mature. That would have happened under McGhee, it will now happen under Wilkins.

Maybe, Maybe not - From what I have seen on here Jake seems to be a new player compaired to the one that played under Mcghee.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
jonny.rainbow said:
You don't win promotion on entertainment though.

I judged McGhee on results, and likewise, I will judge Wilkins on the points he delivers.

I agree with that, The Palace win last year was fantastic nut at the end of the year it didnt mean a great deal.

Kinky Gerbils said:
Maybe, Maybe not - From what I have seen on here Jake seems to be a new player compaired to the one that played under Mcghee.

That I think has got a lot to do with the player maturing and at last stepping up to the mark.

I think it's on record that Dean Wilkins had a lot of frustrations with Robinson, and vice versa (see those Bebo comments!), hence why he did not get a start for nearly six weeks after Wilkins took after (in contrast McGhee started him in the majority of his few games in charge this season).

The timing of the end of that six weeks also had an element of luck to it, Williams proving so lacklustre, Gary Hart getting injured. But it was serendipity for player and coach, and for the Albion - the bit of luck that is sometimes needed for a player to push forward in their career.

Last edited:

LI - Are you McGee in disguise?

London Irish said:
I'm just extrapolating from our 4th place and play-off win and the manner in which he brought through young players like Adam Virgo and Dan Harding as part of that great triumph. And of course his work in similar circumstances at Reading and Millwall.

I have to say that the play off wins, (as much as this hurts me to say this), were far from convincing. We were played off the park by Swindon, (both legs), and the final itself was not much better, although we did play just as well as City. I must quote, before all fans jump on me, that the whole play off experience was superb and I would do it all over again!

Virgs was already at the club, as was Harding - both mentored by Wilkins.

Was Harding really that good? IMO - No. Always looked suspect as left back and probably one of your shrewdest business moves to offload him, (I am aware that he jumped first rather than pushed).

You were not a bad manager; you lost the confidence of the players in yourself and themselves. Once the confidence disappears so does the player and the rot sets in.

Where Wilkins will succeed is that the players have confidence in him, they like him and subsequently will play for him.

That is the difference.

:) :)

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
London Irish said:
That I think has got a lot to do with the player maturing and at last stepping up to the mark.

I think it's on record that Dean Wilkins had a lot of frustrations with Robinson, and vice versa (see those Bebo comments!), hence why he did not get a start for nearly six weeks after Wilkins took after (in contrast McGhee started him in the majority of his few games in charge this season).

The timing of the end of that six weeks also had an element of luck to it, Williams proving so lacklustre, Gary Hart getting injured. But it was serendipity for player and coach, and for the Albion - the bit of luck that is sometimes needed for a player to push forward in their career.

Now THAT is a cop out. You're saying the improvement in Robinson is down to a few concidences with Jake suddenly growing up. :rolleyes:

It's down to man management LI, pure and simple and the trait that Mark McGhee so sadly lacked. Wilkins has transformed Robinson and part of that is through demanding more in training and another is playing to his strengths, balls to feet and in the channel, using his pace and allowing him to build confidence but not allowing him to get carried away with the success that he has.

It always amazed me that a former top flight striker like MM failed so miserably in building a strike partnership. If he had had a scooby he that is one area he would have got right. Deano has done a great job on Robbo and you should not dismiss that so easily.

PS - did you check out Charlotte Gainsbourg?? :)

Re: LI - Are you McGee in disguise?

army ali said:
I have to say that the play off wins, (as much as this hurts me to say this), were far from convincing. We were played off the park by Swindon, (both legs), and the final itself was not much better, although we did play just as well as City. I must quote, before all fans jump on me, that the whole play off experience was superb and I would do it all over again!

Don't agree with your Harding slagging, he will be playing in a higher league longer than most of our current youth products.

But there is an element of truth in what you say above, our play-off victories were attritional. That's because McGhee took an average bunch of players and through organisation and team spirit got them to acheive results way above their true capabilties. We will need those same qualities again if we are to have another play-off success, time will tell if Wilkins can match that great acheivement by McGhee.

Jimmy Saville said:
Now THAT is a cop out. You're saying the improvement in Robinson is down to a few concidences with Jake suddenly growing up. :rolleyes:

It's down to man management LI, pure and simple and the trait that Mark McGhee so sadly lacked. Wilkins has transformed Robinson and part of that is through demanding more in training and another is playing to his strengths, balls to feet and in the channel, using his pace and allowing him to build confidence but not allowing him to get carried away with the success that he has.

It always amazed me that a former top flight striker like MM failed so miserably in building a strike partnership. If he had had a scooby he that is one area he would have got right. Deano has done a great job on Robbo and you should not dismiss that so easily.

PS - did you check out Charlotte Gainsbourg?? :)

No, not yet - but will do, thanks for the tip again.

There is nothing remotely cop out in saying that young players need time to develop, we can all hope that Robinson's time has come. But you really do have to address some of those points I raised about the difficult relationship Robinson and Wilkins had earlier in the season rather than stick you head in the sand about them. Agreed, we are developing a promising strike partnership, picking up a very able support striker like Revell for the peanuts of £8k is part of that, would your say? :)

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
London Irish said:
No, not yet - but will do, thanks for the tip again.

There is nothing remotely cop out in saying that young players need time to develop, we can all hope that Robinson's time has come. But you really do have to address some of those points I raised about the difficult relationship Robinson and Wilkins had earlier in the season rather than stick you head in the sand about them. Agreed, we are developing a promising strike partnership, picking up a very able support striker like Revell for the peanuts of £8k is part of that, would your say? :)

He did very well in finding Revell, not so well in playing him wide right and failed to identify that the way forward was Robinson and a Revell in a 4-4-2. I will admit that Wilkins took a while to get there to, but I think there are reasons for that.

I think Wilkins got it spot on with Robinson and again I think it was down to clever man management. I have heard that Jakey was lacking hunger in training, a point backed up by Wilkins' post match comments. It's not easy to get this hunger back whenhe has a long contract. He has knocked him down a peg or two, unleashed him and Robinson has taken his chance. Simple, but it worked.

The good thing about Wilkins and Robinson is that Wilkins knows the player and has treated him accordingly. I wonder whether MM had the man management skills to do the same to certain players because he certianly seemed to get a few backs up and DK himself admitted he lost the team.

Jimmy Saville said:
He did very well in finding Revell, not so well in playing him wide right and failed to identify that the way forward was Robinson and a Revell in a 4-4-2. I will admit that Wilkins took a while to get there to, but I think there are reasons for that.
We'll have to agree to disagree re. Robinson, if it had came out that McGhee had the same fractious relationship with Robinson as Wilkins had with Robinson, that would been used as conclusive evidence of McGhee's poor man management. But now we are told having players write slag-offs of the manager on their social networking websites is good man management? :lol: Fair enough, you can buy that if you want, I think the picture is more complex than that - but ther key thing is Robinson is at last finding a little bit of consistency - much more to come no doubt, but it will come with experience and maturity.

As for Revell, he still pretty much veers towards the right flank when we play, the system we play is designed to convert to 4-3-3 when we are on attack with Cox being given free license to get forward on the other wing, so I wouldn't get too hung up on that either, we don't play rigid 4-4-2.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
FU - I actually quite enjoyed watching Brighton tonight, did you? As you posted at 9.43, I'm guessing not :salute: :salute: :salute:

For your infomation, that was about the time we lost the toss on the pens and choice of ends :salute: :salute: :salute:

Super Fan Alert!!!

lovelyboy

Nov 17, 2005
Why can't people see that both these guys were/are good for the Albion?

There is no doubt that McGhee worked wonders, in gaining promotion and then keeping us up.

The relegation was perhaps unavoidable, we sold our best players who had previously kept us up and I am not sure any manager could have kept us in the championship last season.

After a relegation I believe it is very hard for the same manager to stay with the club and i believe McGhee's shelf life with Brighton had naturally come to an end.

I also think that Wendy is the right man to take us forward... New ideas, new young side and all that.

Lets stop this bickering and recognize they are both good managers who have been/will be good for Brighton.

End of thread.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
lovelyboy said:
Why can't people see that both these guys were/are good for the Albion?

There is no doubt that McGhee worked wonders, in gaining promotion and then keeping us up.

The relegation was perhaps unavoidable, we sold our best players who had previously kept us up and I am not sure any manager could have kept us in the championship last season.

After a relegation I believe it is very hard for the same manager to stay with the club and i believe McGhee's shelf life with Brighton had naturally come to an end.

I also think that Wendy is the right man to take us forward... New ideas, new young side and all that.

Lets stop this bickering and recognize they are both good managers who have been/will be good for Brighton.

End of thread.

You are right but that kind of post has no place on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here