Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins Versus McGhee

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Under McGhee we were playing dull dull football, not scoring goals, the fans were unhappy and the players didn't exactly look happy.

Since Wilkins has come in were scoring a fair few goals and the general atmosphere around the place has been better he has also brought in players that improved the team something which McGhee failed to do over the summer.

I don't think peoples expectations have gone down its just we can see something happening rather than turning up week in week out for a possible 1 nil win or a defeat, it makes quite a difference

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Rookie said:
Under McGhee we were playing dull dull football, not scoring goals, the fans were unhappy and the players didn't exactly look happy.

Since Wilkins has come in were scoring a fair few goals and the general atmosphere around the place has been better he has also brought in players that improved the team something which McGhee failed to do over the summer.

I don't think peoples expectations have gone down its just we can see something happening rather than turning up week in week out for a possible 1 nil win or a defeat, it makes quite a difference

Superb :clap2: :clap2:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Rookie said:

Spot on. Towards the end of last season, I often found myself wondering what the 'kin 'ell am I doing here watching this shite. This season, although my expectations have not changed (mid table this season), I am actually enjoying watching some of the football we are playing.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Looking forward to Saturday too. Good old Wendy. :clap:

pasty said:
Spot on. Towards the end of last season, I often found myself wondering what the 'kin 'ell am I doing here watching this shite. This season, although my expectations have not changed (mid table this season), I am actually enjoying watching some of the football we are playing.

Totally agree.

I wonder if LI is still watching this thread and reading the comments?

:clap2: :clap2:

pasty said:

Just at the point before MM was ousted, I had vowed to not even go to another Albion game until he was gone. I only had about 2 weeks to wait!

If DW maintains intent to play games that suit our players' strengths, then things can only grow from there.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
army ali said:
Get a life!

McGee picked up a damn good team from Coppel.

Wilkins picks up a team on its knees from McGee.

Hmmmmmm...................................

:shootself

Thats because Coppell had far more suipport from the chairman in terms of bringing players in, whereas Mcghee had to sell anything that wasnt bolted down.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Mouldy Boots said:
As he said.

:clap:

JR you really should think before you post.

Let it go, you will feel better rather than bitter!!

:nono:

I'm not in the least bit bitter.

Just taking the opportunity to display the facts to those that abused McGhee non-stop and claimed that anyone could do better.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
pasty said:

Even the last two matches? ???

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
3gulls said:
Even the last two matches? ???

That I've attended, pretty much yeah. I only go to home games so my last two have been Tranmere and Northwich. Tranmere I thought we were unlucky not to get a point at the end, and Northwich, well 'nuff said.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
pasty said:
That I've attended, pretty much yeah. I only go to home games so my last two have been Tranmere and Northwich. Tranmere I thought we were unlucky not to get a point at the end, and Northwich, well 'nuff said.

Tranmere we never started to play until it was too late, and yesterday - we just never started to play period! :nono:

ihatelimos

Banned
Nov 22, 2006
jonny.rainbow said:
McGhee Record From First 14 League Games: Wins 6 Draws 4 Losses 4 Pts 22

Wilkins Record From First 14 League Games: Wins 6 Draws 2 Losses 6 Pts 20

Interesting reading that makes.

GAAHHHHNNNNN DAHHHHHNNNNN

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
At the moment I look forward to Albion games - something I didn't do for the last period of time under MM. Then going to the Albion felt like doing your duty - you had to go but didn't really want to.

With the young squad we have we're going to have a season of mixed results.

But at least it looks like the players, and Manager CARE.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
London Irish said:
Obvious really. I keep asking people like you the same question when you come out with the canard about "better football" - where you at Forest? That day we outpassed the runaway winners of our league - we just lacked defenders of the class of Hinsh and Butters to keep them out.
Our second half performance at Forest was poor.
McGhee's inability to react to Forest's tactic of Nicky Southall running at Kerry Mayo was sheer incompetence.
So your canard is a dead duck, mate.

army ali said:
Totally agree.

I wonder if LI is still watching this thread and reading the comments?

:clap2: :clap2:
Yes, I am - with great interest :)

And all these comments say the same thing. I'm happy that we are a midtable team, that we are winning some games in a lower league than the one we were in last season. Oh, and beating cup opponents a few leagues down from us. Lowered expectations, bravo :clap: :clap:

I'm happy that you're happy :D

Last edited:

mona said:
Our second half performance at Forest was poor.
McGhee's inability to react to Forest's tactic of Nicky Southall running at Kerry Mayo was sheer incompetence.
So your canard is a dead duck, mate.

Who has played the majority of games at left-back under Dean Wilkins' management? Wouldn't be Kerry Mayo, would it? :wave:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
London Irish said:
Who has played the majority of games at left-back under Dean Wilkins' management? Wouldn't be Kerry Mayo, would it? :wave:
And Dean Wikins reacts when a player is isolated by changing formation or bringing on a sub to play in front of the beleaguered left back.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
London Irish said:
Obvious really. I keep asking people like you the same question when you come out with the canard about "better football" - where you at Forest? That day we outpassed the runaway winners of our league - we just lacked defenders of the class of Hinsh and Butters to keep them out.

I agree there is more optimism now - but that's because people's expectations have been lowered. Under McGhee, people demanded Championship football or play-offs at the least, under Wilkins people are happy to accept midtable and losses like yesterday's.

This is what makes Dick Knight a great chairman of this club, in changing the manager he has solved one of the great problems with the fans of this club, inflated, unrealistic expectations of what we can realistically acheive. People were very unhappy at the beginning of the season that he said midtable was our realistic objective. One change of manager later, and people are happy to swallow exactly that.

And in a way I'm not knocking it, Albion games are a much more pleasany experience now that fans' expectations are realistic. When we lose, we now lose with good grace rather than the horrible, sour atmosphere that overtook many of our games last season.

Your camparison about the resources left to McGhee and Wilkins has been discussed many times on here, and where you go wrong is a very rosy perception of the strength of that squad minus Simon Rodger, Darius Henderson. It was an ageing team overeliant on journeymen like Oatway and Mayo, but McGhee still performed miracles with them.

I think that is pretty much spot on. One of the worst things appears to be avoiding relegation 2 seasons ago as some fans then started to get unrealistic expectations. We were always going to be embroiled in another relegation fight in that second season which we may or may not have survived. We lost that battle and went down, so be it.

Also from the start of the season I always said I would be happy with a mid-table finish. As nice as it would be to go up we are blatantly not equipped to handle life in the Championship.

I was sceptical of Dean Wilkins' appointment as I not a fan of the idea of promoting within as we have been burnt previously and everytime I check the Youth Teams results on the website they now always seem to lose.

That said if Deano was to be made first team manager I would not have been adverse to letting Mark Mcghee carry on until the end of the season. His contract ran out them anyway and we could have had a smooth hand over.

As it is Wendy should get full backing now as what is done is done and it would appear he is upto it the job even more so than the other internal appointments. The one thing he needs is time which as we know is not a commodity often afforded to football managers. The squad has very good potential and if we can keep it together and with a couple of additions (although not loan signings) then we could be onto something very good.

Oh, getting final approval on Falmer would help also.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
London Irish said:
Yes, I am - with great interest :)

And all these comments say the same thing. I'm happy that we are a midtable team, that we are winning some games in a lower league than the one we were in last season. Oh, and beating cup opponents a few leagues down from us. Lowered expectations, bravo :clap: :clap:

I'm happy that you're happy :D

I'm not particulaly happy we are mid table as I feel we can get higher but I am VERY happy we got rid of the jocko clown and put in someone who can take the club forwards. A manager who knows how to manage different players and respond with changes of tactics when needed. Wilkins is still learning and will make mistakes. The difference is, I doubt he'd continue to make the same mistake week in week out and blame the fact he hasn't got the right big lump up front!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here