Votes: 17 18.1%
  • No - It was a disaster get rid before more damage is done

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D

Deleted member 2719

Icy Gull said:
Have a look at the squad and see if you can find anymore than 6 that MM brought in, not ones who were forced on him by the board

I make it 10

Hendo
Mayo
Frutos
Chippy
Butters
Revell
Molango
Loft
Santos
Hart

Correct me if i am wrong and if you can tell me who renewed their contract if MM didn't?

???

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Mouldy Boots said:
Have you got evindence of that conversation

:albion:

Yes, i have secrectly taped all our conversations and am going to expose you as an OUTER ........:lolol:

D

Deleted member 2719

Gullsworth said:
Yes, i have secrectly taped all our conversations and am going to expose you as an OUTER ........:lolol:

And i will expose you as a :afro: :safeway2:

Rougvie said:
Only someone with terminal leaning difficulties would fail to notice that McGhee had lost the majority of the supporters (although by no means all), I actually think that if he hadn't used the media to blame other people then he would still be in charge as it was the mans personality and the way he went about his business that sealed his fate in the end.
You see, that a bit cryptic for me - if what you are saying is that he made powerful enemies like Tony Bloom, then I would agree.

I also think sometimes you want to have your cake and eat it - sometimes you imply he was this hard-arse who upset everyone around him with needless confrontation. At others you suggested he was too accomodating to the Leon Knight clique and indulged them for too long. Which is the real McGhee then? If either is true, that is.

We will never know if the majority of fans wanted McGhee out, there was no vote, except on the few kids' polls on here and only the most minimal level of consultation just with the Samrah-Attila level of fan.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
BarrelofFun said:
He has had a baptism of fire with many game sin quick succession. We have lost Paul Reid, who was an integral part of our victories.

It is well documented that I wanted McGhee to stay, but I am sure that we can avoid relegation. At least a point in the next game is very important though, the rot must be stopped.

Come on BOF. Chesterfield and Blackpool are hardly even mildly warm let alone warrent any associated with fire.

Losing Reid is a disaster but it does not excuse some of the tactical decisions made by Wilkins up to now. (E.G Mayo in midfield yesterday, outnumbered in midfield but changing f*** all, some of the better players dissapearing from the squad, I could go on)

I'll back him insomuch that I wont be vocal for his departure at games but surely the sooner we get shot the better for all concerned? Currently we are nothing short of a shambles.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mouldy Boots said:
I make it 10

Hendo
Mayo
Frutos
Chippy
Butters
Revell
Molango
Loft
Santos
Hart

Correct me if i am wrong and if you can tell me who renewed their contract if MM didn't?

???

I meant ones he actually brought here rather than ones he got stuck with because he wasn't given the money to replace those he would possibly rather not have re-signed. Or should he just have got rid of the old timers with no replacements?

In fairness even the most bigoted anti-Mcghee fans need to cut him a bit of slack with the finances he was supposed to work with

But it's not about fairness, nowhere near as much fun as a witch hunt

Last edited:

Mouldy Boots said:
I make it 10

Hendo
Mayo
Frutos
Chippy
Butters
Revell
Molango
Loft
Santos
Hart

???
Yes, the chairman renews contracts, under advice from the manager. That's how it works. It will be news to most people the Mayo and Hart are McGhee players! :D

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Uncle Spielberg said:
Let me put the record straight. This double standard and hypocracy is beyound belief, the anti McGhee people who undermined the manager for 6 months and ultimately got him the sack are now portraying themselves as above blame and totally innocent and die hard loyal Albion fans because they are being Wilkins. don;t make me laugh. We are in this position because D blockers forced McGhee out. I was against McGhee getting the sack and against Wilkins replacing him. That is not secret but don't try and make out that I am somehow against the club I love because I think Wilkins should be given help working as a no 2 with a proven manager.

So are you really helping the situation by posting a poll with an option 'No - It was a disaster get rid before more damage is done' ?

Dress it up as playing Devils advocate, but its pretty poor stuff.

Lets put it another way, if you got promoted and your collegues, customers etc gave you a few weeks before publically expressing their disatisfaction at your performance in an incredibly short time, you would be pretty gutted and feel that they were being unsupportive to put it mildly.

McGhee is NEVER coming back, yes last season from a footballing point of view I felt his all round performance was not nearly good enough, but I suspect if we ever find out the whole truth fingers could be pointed at several board members too for a combination of missmanagement and not looking to the future, I was certainly one of those who respected DK's call to give him a chance this season after all had a great track record in this division, but after a good start it was back to the same old drivel and worse still excuses. You have to admit that at the point of his sacking slightly more people wanted him out than in and I cant remember a manager at the Albion who has managed to win back the fans after they have turned agaisnt him in those sort of numbers making it impossible in this day and age for him to continue.

D

Deleted member 2719

Icy Gull said:
I meant ones he actually brought here rather than ones he got stuck with because he wasn't given the money to replace those he would possibly rather not have re-signed. Or should he just have got rid of the old timers with no replacements?

In fairness even the most bigoted anti-Mcghee fans need to cut him a bit of slack with the finances he was supposed to work with

But it's not about fairness, nowhere near as much fun as a witch hunt

But didn't he have the money he said he was looking for the right target man for years.

Are you suggesting he was lying to us?
???

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So are you really helping the situation by posting a poll with an option 'No - It was a disaster get rid before more damage is done' ?

"I also put I am 100% behind him and he will do well "

You are being selective to fit your own agenda.

Anyway I am totally pissed off with the state of the club apologise if I have upset you.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mouldy Boots said:
But didn't he have the money he said he was looking for the right target man for years.

Are you suggesting he was lying to us?
???

I think there is far more to this than either you or I will ever be privy to. No I don't think he was lying, I believe he thought until the end of last season that he had the backing of the board, which was probably an error of judgement and who knows how long the rumblings in the boardroom had been going on before he was aware of it?

The upshot is that the money was never forthcoming though.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
Even 3 seasons ago there was still the feeling that tickets were not available, so people had season tickets and there was very little floating support.

Now we have less season ticket holders as there are about 3000 seats available on a game by game basis (that presumes we have 5000 season ticket holders and 1000 seats approx for away fans), so people will pick and choose their games. Generally at the beginning of any season clubs get reasonable gates and then they start to level out, which is what has happened.

You can point to all kinds of rationalisations as to why more people were willing to hand over money to our ticket office in McGhee's post-relegation season than there were in Coppell's. The bottom line is, more people DID hand over their money.

Now, at issue here is whether people were "voting with the feet" against McGhee.

There is simply no evidence of such a "vote" while he was manager here.

But there certainly is a massive one going on now!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
this in house fighting is just what LDC would love, whatever side of the McGhee / Wilkins fence you support we are all Albion fans :kiss:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
this in house fighting is just what LDC would love, whatever side of the McGhee / Wilkins fence you support we are all Albion fans :kiss:

f*** LDC they will not win however rough the road gets.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
London Irish said:
You see, that a bit cryptic for me - if what you are saying is that he made powerful enemies like Tony Bloom, then I would agree.

I also think sometimes you want to have your cake and eat it - sometimes you imply he was this hard-arse who upset everyone around him with needless confrontation. At others you suggested he was too accomodating to the Leon Knight clique and indulged them for too long. Which is the real McGhee then? If either is true, that is.

We will never know if the majority of fans wanted McGhee out, there was no vote, except on the few kids' polls on here and only the most minimal level of consultation just with the Samrah-Attila level of fan.

Having a personal mouthpiece at the Argus did him no favours at all in the end, Naylor was reigned in a bit when he started flaming the Blooms but week after week of public critisism of players, and bizarre excuses on a Monday left a lot of people with the opinion that he wasn't really doing that good a job.

No one will ever know the damage that Naylor did to McGhee's career, but I suspect that the very personal attack on the Blooms was going to ensure that relations with the board were always going to be strained, and at a club that relies on its directors to pay bills and plug holes, thats never going to be an ideal situation, the manager can never be 'bigger' than the directors, thats just common sense.

I've remained relatively consistant in saying that he dealt with the clique in the best way possible under the circumstances, but performances did not reflect that an average side were motivated under his leadership.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Uncle Spielberg said:
Anyway I am totally pissed off with the state of the club apologise if I have upset you.

Gareth, you havent upset me at all, i'm just a little surprised. Most days I wish I had your faith in our dealings with LDC and Falmer its unrelenting and its the hymm sheet we should ALL be singing from. Thats the sort of faith that someone like Dean Wilkins could do with right now. :love:

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry again, Wilkins is getting it because I did not want McGhee out, whoever it would be, if he was getting bad results , he would be getting it from me. I have nothing against Dean , he is an Albion legend. I hope he proves me wrong and if he does feel free to bounce my criticisms. Up the Albion !.

D

Deleted member 2719

Uncle Spielberg said:

So you won't be starting anymore headline threads against our new manager then?

:kiss:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Mouldy Boots said:
So you won't be starting anymore headline threads against our new manager then?

:kiss:

We probably get as many as the last manager...........and the next ...unless its Alan Curbishly....................but even then.....

No in/out polls are a fact of life:down:

D

Deleted member 2719

Gullsworth said:
We probably get as many as the last manager...........and the next ...unless its Alan Curbishly....................but even then.....

No in/out polls are a fact of life:down:

What after 8 games and only three of which he has been officially in charge?

:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here