Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan make approach for Poyet

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Sadly it's our best option now, as much as some of us want him to he's not going to stay, let's get rid now and get a new man in before next weekend. (Note to Messrs Bloom and Barber, Ajax play in Amsterdam and they have a very able candidate on their coaching team)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If Wigan take Poyet they won't be paying compensation, or if they do it will be notional to save face. The club don't have a leg to stand on with regards the Poyet situation, they have two choices let him go to another club for next to nothing, or keep him. I'd chose the latter but I think it is inevitable that the former will be the case.

So what is this 'Poyet situation' then? You must know something-if you don't, you're just guessing like everybody else.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Sadly it's our best option now, as much as some of us want him to he's not going to stay, let's get rid now and get a new man in before next weekend. (Note to Messrs Bloom and Barber, Ajax play in Amsterdam and they have a very able candidate on their coaching team)

I love the way people put, "he is not going to stay"....Like he has got a choice lol...I assume you are referring to Bergkamp??? That proven manager, that is so vital in the championship, with zero experience of management. We arn't in league 1 anymore at Withdean. We have a monster that needs feeding and that doesn't mean gambling with rookie managers.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Probably because people on his own clubs forum, can't string a sentence together.

Not at all. There are many people on the BBS who would have bestowed your sentence with the missing apostrophe and removed the extraneous comma.

However, in response to the previous poster's question, I have an interest in football, and obviously an interest in my club's rivals. And I have to admit, the one man hurricane that is the enigmatic 'Gus' truly is one of the most interesting subjects in football to me right now.

I believe, other than in posts where I've felt the need to defend myself, I have either offered pertinent points from a different perspective, or solicited information from my rival club's fans in order to understand them a bit better. If offence has been caused in the process, I apologise. However, such an outcome has never been my intention.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I love the way people put, "he is not going to stay"....Like he has got a choice lol...I assume you are referring to Bergkamp??? That proven manager, that is so vital in the championship, with zero experience of management. We arn't in league 1 anymore at Withdean. We have a monster that needs feeding and that doesn't mean gambling with rookie managers.

Was Laudrup really proven when he came to this country? I really think he's worth a punt, rather him than Ferguson or Sousa.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Was Laudrup really proven when he came to this country? I really think he's worth a punt, rather him than Ferguson or Sousa.

You could argue it's far harder to manage a championship promotion campaign, over 46 games + cup comps. Than managing in the Prem with 38 games, larger squads and more time on the ball to play the beautiful game.

P.s I agree with your Ferguson/Sousa comment, neither of them flick my switch for the new season ahead.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
If Wigan take Poyet they won't be paying compensation, or if they do it will be notional to save face. The club don't have a leg to stand on with regards the Poyet situation, they have two choices let him go to another club for next to nothing, or keep him. I'd chose the latter but I think it is inevitable that the former will be the case.

I am not sure I get that. Poyet had a contract with agreed compensation levels and as far as I am aware still is bound by that contract as the club are. The club are under no obligation to just write off that compo whether he has been proven to have breeched his contract or not. I agree that they may have to let him go to another club for a reduced fee but more because people may consider that he is not worth the full fee involved rathder than the poyet situation you allude to. As it stands we are rudderless and a solution of sorts either way would be for the best and if that is reduced fee then so be it. It certainly would be sensible and not necessarily an indication of who is right and wrong.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Whelan was on the box earlier this afternoon, and says he will be interviewing 12 to 16 people next week, with an announcement by next weekend. The 12-1 odds quoted sound about right, then. But nice as Wigan is, it would seem an odd place for Poyet to turn to, and it might not be long before he wants to manage Leeds again. Or have a go at Chelsea. Or Zaragoza. Or wherever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wrong,,we all know what Poyet thinks, or should I say what he thought..He told us often enough. What he thinks now however is a different kettle of fish. I think the saying, be careful what you wish for, springs to mind. Because you might not get it and end up having to make do with something far worse than you already had.

Like you knew exactly what was going to happen or not happen with Vicente last year. You were well & truly wrong then too.

Dec 29, 2011
Not at all. There are many people on the BBS who would have bestowed your sentence with the missing apostrophe and removed the extraneous comma.

However, in response to the previous poster's question, I have an interest in football, and obviously an interest in my club's rivals. And I have to admit, the one man hurricane that is the enigmatic 'Gus' truly is one of the most interesting subjects in football to me right now.

I believe, other than in posts where I've felt the need to defend myself, I have either offered pertinent points from a different perspective, or solicited information from my rival club's fans in order to understand them a bit better. If offence has been caused in the process, I apologise. However, such an outcome has never been my intention.

Can't read a single thread on NSC without this **** getting involved. Bridcutt to Palace, fair enough, it's Palace. Bridge leaves, ok.. one thread I can take that. Poyet to WIGAN. Nothing to do with Palace, yet he still insists on posting shite. I prefered it when they were all hiding.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Can't read a single thread on NSC without this **** getting involved. Bridcutt to Palace, fair enough, it's Palace. Bridge leaves, ok.. one thread I can take that. Poyet to WIGAN. Nothing to do with Palace, yet he still insists on posting shite. I prefered it when they were all hiding.

It's weird 'cos despite the fact that all his posts (since they went up) are sugary sweet and over friendly, I say 'BAN HIM'!!

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Don't attempt to reason with him, he's in his own little world...

I agree with you that Gus is an enigma, and an interesting topic. However, there is so much misinformation out there at the moment, so many bedwetters on these forums and so much history being rewritten that it is difficult for a Brighton fan to see the wood for the trees, let alone one in your position coming to this somewhat retrospectively.

Having watched every press conference and every video that Gus appeared in throughout the season, he is guilty in his honesty of being an ambitious manager. I've never had an issue with that, while some on here feel violated because of it. I personally prefer that honesty. But I have seen nothing to suggest that he doesn't care about Brighton (on the contrary, he has frequently suggested how much he loves and is proud of the club).

Obviously something has gone wrong internally to disrupt this; what has gone wrong, very few if any of us know. Thankfully, we have Tony Bloom - with him overseeing things I am far from worried about the situation..

@Lenny Rider, Kevtherev is an xenophobe, he won't like any manager that has ancestry off the shores of this great land...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Put him on Ignore and stop quoting him.

Dec 29, 2012
United Kingdom

What a load of crap.Of course they have a leg to stand on. I'm with the guy that has spent 90 millon on our new ground ,16 millon on a training ground,millons on players. Gus is a dis loyal man and the club can move on without him. It bloom goes the club is ****ed so how about showing some loyalty to the man that saved our club rather than some bloke that does not give a fig about our club and just sees us as a steping stone.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
What a load of crap.Of course they have a leg to stand on. I'm with the guy that has spent 90 millon on our new ground ,16 millon on a training ground,millons on players. Gus is a dis loyal man and the club can move on without him. It bloom goes the club is ****ed so how about showing some loyalty to the man that saved our club rather than some bloke that does not give a fig about our club and just sees us as a steping stone.

Here here! Too many "don't get me wrong, I love Tony Bloom but" types on NSC. This is why I'd never be a football club chairman. You build something beyond people's wildest dreams and within 2 years everyone's bitching and moaning just because there's a summer break in football. Like there always was until a few years ago when the Internet made us all thirsty for a constant flow of information when there isn't sometimes. It's why they invented cricket and athletics. Chill people, enjoy the outdoors and check in once a week rather than every hour for some news!

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
1. Squad of prem players
2. Charity shield
3. Europa league
4. £15m a year parachute payments equivalent to about 37k season ticket holders

Yep and lets see how he does in the championship with them. At least he wouldn't be able to moan about lack of budget, not getting the players he wants. If he fails then it will show that he wasn't as good as he thought he was. If he gets them promoted then at least he would have backed his own ability and proved his point. However, I think the former might come true, but then of course he will blame the number of games he had to play in Europe. In the last year Gus complained about the budget and still got us in the play-offs and in truth it was only his tactics that prevented us from going all the way. I would have been happy for him to stay, but his lack of respect for the club(talking about managing other clubs) and outbursts after the play-offs mean he has to move on in my opinion. This may be the quickest outcome if he goes to Wigan. At least we can then move forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here