• Up to her

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Would actively discourage it

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Well, she won't. It's up to us to decide which surname the baby has and it's been agreed that the baby will have my name. It's amazing what you can do with a bit of discussion in this day and age.

My 77 year old mother has very traditional values (and my fathers name of course). She can cope with this whole issue. I'm surprised you find it so hard to fathom.

There was a time that if a couple weren't married and had a child then the child was quite often registered with the name of the mother. If that couple then went on and got married as a lot of them did and wanted the child to have their surname - as the husbands name didn't appear on the birth cert he then had to officially "adopt" the child.

I'm not sure of the present position nowadays what with DNA etc but hey that's history for you.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I've recently got married and it was not an issue he didn't mind either way. I have taken his name except in work so I have a personal and professional name!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really is strange that this thread has come up - as i'm in a bit of a position with tihs.

Getting married a year tommorow and my Mrs will keep her own name for personal family reasons.

It's up to her and means alot to her to keep the name... Fair do's as far as i'm conserned

Doesn't make a difference overall really. I would have liked her to take my name yes but it's not my decision - it is a bit of an old fashioned thing...

And i don't like the idea of double barreled much...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've recently got married and it was not an issue he didn't mind either way. I have taken his name except in work so I have a personal and professional name!

That's a good idea....:thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

There was a time that if a couple weren't married and had a child then the child was quite often registered with the name of the mother. If that couple then went on and got married as a lot of them did and wanted the child to have their surname - as the husbands name didn't appear on the birth cert he then had to officially "adopt" the child.

I'm not sure of the present position nowadays what with DNA etc but hey that's history for you.

From an in-depth study of my own family history, going back lots of generations, I would say that it was quite common for childrens' surnames to change without the formality of official adoptions. Legally, people can change surnames more or less at will.

Until very recently, birth certificates only recorded the forename of a child. Surnames of the mother (and, usually, the father) were also recorded, but separately from the child's name. People were allowed to ADD forenames, but were not permitted to give up the forenames that were registered when the birth certificate was issued.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

that sounds familiar - theres also the problem of parents who aren't married and have kids - the Dad has to get some sort of legal bumf before he can consent to any medical procedures for his own child, simply as he isn't married to the mother, even if they are living together as a family....weird...

What I'd find wierder is if I didn't have the same surname as my Dad when I was growing up...although in some instances I didn't want people to know he was my Dad :laugh:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Still optional to put the father on the birth cert if unmarried apparently! My now brother-in-law was shocked to find that out when my sister had their first child. And if you're married he goes down by default...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
On a related subject:

'Did you know Anne Boleyn married Henry VIII many many years after he had an affair with her younger sister when she was 14 and they had two children together, and she was decap'd not only for treason but for incest as she was under so much pressure to conceive she did with her bro who was also decap'd for incest and being gay with a group of other nobles!!'

I feel it works better without punctuation.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Unless a woman has a first name that will sound funny next to the husbands surname, or if she doesn't have a brother that will have kids to continue the family name and feels particularly strongly about it, she should take the mans name in my opinion. Maybe an old fashioned view but I hate all thse double barrelled names, daft in my opinion!

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i really can't understand all this twaddle about "joining families " etc etc.

my wife has her name, we get married, she keeps it.

if anyone asks (never) it's as simple as saying "yeah, we married and she kept her name" not so difficult is it?

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Unless a woman has a first name that will sound funny next to the husbands surname, or if she doesn't have a brother that will have kids to continue the family name and feels particularly strongly about it, she should take the mans name in my opinion. Maybe an old fashioned view but I hate all thse double barrelled names, daft in my opinion!

I've got a double barrelled name, its a bit of a mouthful but as the recipients of a double barrelled name we have no choice..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here