Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Would actively discourage it

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i know but they are crazy over there.

i think in mexico as well the children are given both the fathers surname and mothers maiden name and then when they marry some of them keep the whole lot as well.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
i want the same name as my wife, but whether that's mine or hers is of no concern to me.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Mrs Trufflehound is very happy to be known informally as Mrs Trufflehound. But legally speaking, since we were married in Holland, she has no say in the matter and will continue being Mrs Foxybabe on all official documentation forever.

Except on her payslip, where they have taken to calling her Mrs Trufflehound-Foxybabe... But we both think that's a bit wank.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But surely she was never Mrs Foxybabe at all? Presumably she was MISS Foxybabe, and could only become MRS Foxybabe by marrying her Dad or Brother.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
But surely she was never Mrs Foxybabe at all? Presumably she was MISS Foxybabe, and could only become MRS Foxybabe by marrying her Dad or Brother.

Have you been reading my family tree? ;)

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
sorry, my wife is all woman so you are correct. i just have never got my own log in on here. the poorly written misspelt posts full of grammatical errors are from me, the ones with proper use of the queens english are from the sandwich maker.]

paddy

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
sorry, my wife is all woman so you are correct. i just have never got my own log in on here. the poorly written misspelt posts full of grammatical errors are from me, the ones with proper use of the queens english are from the sandwich maker.]

paddy

Paddy,....when Starry reads these posts, don,t despair..........I,m sure someone will take you in.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
My sister took her husband's name when they got married. They had a child, then he buggered off with another woman, who he eventually married, and wife two took his name also. I asked my sister if she was going to revert to her maiden name, and she said no, as she didn't want to give the impression she was a single mum. My point is that the erstwhile husband has now got two women sporting his name, which is not a good thing in my opinion, and a daughter with a double-barrelled effort of a name :(

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
But if your wife registers the baby's birth it will be her surname for the child not yours.

Well, she won't. It's up to us to decide which surname the baby has and it's been agreed that the baby will have my name. It's amazing what you can do with a bit of discussion in this day and age.

My 77 year old mother has very traditional values (and my fathers name of course). She can cope with this whole issue. I'm surprised you find it so hard to fathom.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Well, she won't. It's up to us to decide which surname the baby has and it's been agreed that the baby will have my name. It's amazing what you can do with a bit of discussion in this day and age.

My 77 year old mother has very traditional values (and my fathers name of course). She can cope with this whole issue. I'm surprised you find it so hard to fathom.

That's very patronising of you. Where have I said I can't fathom it? You have misunderstood my post and made it sound completely different.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yorkie you're a dinosaur! (in attitude not age btw!), no one 'belongs' to anyone else in this world! Next you'll be telling us you make your husband's sandwiches for work because it is your wifely duty.

:angry:

No, he makes mine.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Well, I would say the above is you sounding like it's hard to fathom a woman wanting to keep her own name.

I can understand a woman wanting to keep her maiden name, but I wanted to take my husband's name. My personal preference doesn't stop me understanding someone elses choice.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I refer back to my post, it depends sometimes what the wifes forename an the husbands surname are, if they make something either humorous or offensive.

For example if a woman called Fanny married a bloke called Gary Lipps then it might make sense for her to keep her maiden name.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here