Votes: 51 60.7%
  • Up to her

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Would actively discourage it

Votes: 3 3.6%

• Total voters

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
i really can't understand all this twaddle about "joining families " etc etc.

my wife has her name, we get married, she keeps it.

if anyone asks (never) it's as simple as saying "yeah, we married and she kept her name" not so difficult is it?

That's what we're doing -It's re-assuring to know u don't get problems from it...:wave:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
That's what we're doing -It's re-assuring to know u don't get problems from it...:wave:

Its not difficult at all really, I have got my hubbies name but its all personal choice, the only issue I see with it is when Mums and their kids have different surnames....

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
i really can't understand all this twaddle about "joining families " etc etc.

my wife has her name, we get married, she keeps it.

if anyone asks (never) it's as simple as saying "yeah, we married and she kept her name" not so difficult is it?

the voice of common sense

haven't read all of the thread but dipping into it I'm amazed people care, amazed people think families having slightly different names is in some way difficult and, on a personal note, not surprised to see the double barrelled name inverse snobbery. My Dad is Spanish and I have his surname which is, like all Spanish names, made up of the father's and mother's first surname. Growing up in England with a name like that and not being an aristocrat meant a childhood of 'ooooh get you!'. Not that I'm bitter or anything;)

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
....and my experience is completely the opposite. problems like what exactly?

Well she doesn't exactly get problems but probably a few more questions than I do really...like when the bank rings, they say hello Mrs Zefarelly, and I say yes...when they ring your wife she isn't Mrs Afters is she? so she'd say no its not...and probably have to answer a couple more details than I do...

If you had an accident at work the hospital would probably start looking for Mrs Afters firstly - wouldn't they?

Just that sort of stuff...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The problem with this kind of thread is that some people can't just leave it at the level of personal decision, which is what this boils down to. They have to wade in with things like 'outdated society'.

Is that right? Well, if it's part of an outdated society for a woman to share her husband's name, let's just have a look at some other 'outdated' aspects of life without which we're SO much better off.

Marriages that last; respect for others; self-discipline...and you could go on, but would sound like a Daily Mail call to arms.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My wife has spent nearly twenty years in media and has her reputation based on her name. She has kept her name for work purposes but has changed her name on passport etc.

Most people still write to her in her name, doesn't cause me a problem or her.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here