Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why was Ryan Giggs voted PFA Player of the Year?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Because the PFA felt guilty at never having given him the award when he was in his prime, so are making up for it now.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Stat for the day. Darren Anderton has played more league games this season than Ryan Giggs. And he retired in December

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Because the PFA felt guilty at never having given him the award when he was in his prime, so are making up for it now.

The PFA is every pro in the premiership aren't they?
Basically because Premiership footballers are f***ing thick

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I would agree with that. Had some pretty good games this season as well though, the Chelsea game which he BOSSED from central midfield springs to mind. Hardly enough to win the PFA Award though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It comes across like one of those lifetime achievement things. Like when they wheel out Van Morrison or somesuch at the Brits. Not really what the PFA award is meant to be.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It's more of a "lifetime achevement" award really innit.

Why do they all vote for this so early as well - end of Jan I think. Surely they could arrange some sort of internet / sms vote, and therefore get it all voted on when more of the season has been played.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
sentimental reasons.

makes the competition a bit of a waste of time though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Its like Paul Newman`s oscar for The Colour of Money. Its just sentiment.
I think Frank Lampard should have won it.

Duck...................................................................

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
I think the PFA was a bit of a joke this year. Giggsy deserved some sort of lifetime award, not the PFA. Fergie won that award for him, talking him up in the media, getting everyone talking about it. Should of been Rio or Vidic for me. As for Ashley Young winning young player of the year.....He is one of the most overrated players in the premiership, if not the most. Because he's an exciting english player, everybody loves him, he cant cross or finish. Should of been Stephen Ireland, he has been head and shoulders above any Man City player, very hard thing to do when everyone else is playing crap in your team

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I'm amazed that voting for Giggs even crossed peoples minds back in Feb, I presume when they were given a voting form players we given some sort of 'suggestions' cos until Ferguson piped up with it last week I would have said no chance.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I hate Man U with a passion, Ryan Giggs is the ultimate Pro and deserves some recognition for his long term acheivements, not a player of the season award this year though!

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Team of the season

Edwin Van Der Sar – Manchester United

Glen Johnson – Portsmouth
Patrice Evra – Manchester United
Rio Ferdinand – Manchester United
Nemanja Vidic – Manchester United

Ashley Young – Aston Villa
Steven Gerrard – Liverpool
Ryan Giggs – Manchester United