Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why The Steward bashing

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I would not generally respond to this sort of thing but certain things have pushed me into it:

Searching - why do the stewards insist on searching everyone when there is a low crowd or if you are late for the game. If there are a lot of people in the queues they just don't bother. As a 44 year old educated bloke, arriving at the game with his wife and teenage kids I feel quite offended by this unnecessary searching. Having attended football for 30 odd years I think I know what is and isn't allowed into a football stadium.
Also the search procedures are an utter waste of time. A bit of patting of pockets is just a waste of time. I always have a phone in my pocket which is 'patted' but never am I asked what it is - it could be a stanley knife for all they know.
I asked the steward on Wednesday what he was looking for and he told me he was looking for machine guns and knives - yeah hilarious, you would not have found one if I had been carrying one you useless plank!!!

I attend England games all over the world and expect to get searched properly. Emptying of pockets, explaining what everything is and all of that using sign language due to the language barrier - it just makes the efforts of the Withdean muppets even more embarrassing.

Watching the game - I watched a group of six stewards stand in front of A-block on Wednesday night and for the majority of the first half they chatted and watched the game. At no point did they look at the crowd - what an utter waste of time. If the crowd is so low that their crowd control services are not required get them picking up litter or doing something useful. The only reason their huddle was broken up was because the two female members of the group decided to go for a stroll up the touchline at which point the male stewards in the group seemed to lose interest in the huddle.

Moving people along the running track - they are all very brave when there are ones and twos loitering on the running track but as soon as the numbers get high they disappear and effectively 'bottle it'. Either enforce the rules for all or don't bother.

I really hope for tha sake of the club and supporters that there is never a full blown emergency at Withdean. Quite frankly I would do my own thing as I would not have enough faith in these orange/yellow jacketed clowns to actually organise a safe evacuation.

Waits in anticipation of excuses from the stewards that post on here....

Sorry but "I know what is and isnt allowed in at a football stadium" doesnt really cut the mustard. Imagine if you said that kind of comment at an airport? how are they supposed to know who has a knife or booze or what have you? I'm sure they can tell what a mobile phone feels like, not like theyhavent searched anyone before

End of their day they're just doing their job and generally not a bad un. Sure you get the odd issue but theres many grounds with worse stewards

As for not telling the Leicester fans to sit down, f*** it. We stand at away games sometimes, just cos we cant dont see why it bothers anyone. f*** it if I paid to sit in that shit stand I'd insist on standing up myself and still feel ripped off

And watching the game? f*** I would if I could get away with it and I wasnt needed to do anything in the stands at that time. How many people on here are posting on NSC from work?

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
In answer to Drew above...

I don't. think anyone is moaning about the fact there are stewards present or disputing the requirement for them, it is more the way they perform (or don't) their job.
If they insist on searching, then do it properly, not just the arbitrary 'patting' of pockets which proves nothing and is a waste of time. If you have a policy of searching then do it all the time, not just when it is quiet in the queues or for late arrivals.
If they are paid to stand around the pitch watching the crowd, then watch them, don't watch the game or stand in huddles talking.

It is the utter inconsistency of their behaviour which just really winds me up.

Out of curiosity, is the stewarding on the north stand any different to the south.

Also the few times I have been in hospitality I have found the stewards to be somewhat more accomodating, even welcoming, why the inconsistency.

I believe that anyone who knows me would say I am a fairly tolerant person but I just can't stand things being done for the sake of doing them without any common sense or consistency.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In answer to Drew above...

I don't. think anyone is moaning about the fact there are stewards present or disputing the requirement for them, it is more the way they perform (or don't) their job.
If they insist on searching, then do it properly, not just the arbitrary 'patting' of pockets which proves nothing and is a waste of time. If you have a policy of searching then do it all the time, not just when it is quiet in the queues or for late arrivals.
If they are paid to stand around the pitch watching the crowd, then watch them, don't watch the game or stand in huddles talking.

It is the utter inconsistency of their behaviour which just really winds me up.

Out of curiosity, is the stewarding on the north stand any different to the south.

Also the few times I have been in hospitality I have found the stewards to be somewhat more accomodating, even welcoming, why the inconsistency.

I believe that anyone who knows me would say I am a fairly tolerant person but I just can't stand things being done for the sake of doing them without any common sense or consistency.

I hear what you are saying but surely part of the search process is to be seen to be searching as well. Security is also about reassuring the general public? Also, heaven forbid if they searched everyone properly, imagine the pile of rubber gloves!!!!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Stewards are a necessary evil. Unfortunately the vocation attracts types who will, knowingly, abuse their position by parroting the phrase "We're only following orders" when entering bullying mode. As with a lot of things in life the minority give the majority a bad reputation - a prime example of Pareto's Principle.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Stewards are a necessary evil. Unfortunately the vocation attracts types who will, knowingly, abuse their position by parroting the phrase "We're only following orders" when entering bullying mode. As with a lot of things in life the minority give the majority a bad reputation - a prime example of Pareto's Principle.

I agree with you but let's not forget that the same principle applies to the crowd as well.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
True. A really good friend of mine is a steward at Withdean and I know he's not a proto-Nazi who'd have joined the SS in a different era - far from it. And despite his name NMH is no Hitler!

However I do worry a bit about Steward433 as he is prone to make the odd statement that makes you raise your eyebrows. On the other thread he implied that the 'strict' security was because the club were apparently expecting an anti-nuclear demo the other Saturday as the FA Cup is sponsored by EON! Also his statment that we have more trained stewards than any other club in the country strikes me as being, well, 'difficult to believe'. If it IS the case then we can surely save money by cutting the numbers down until we've only got as many as, say, Man U?

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
However I do worry a bit about Steward433 as he is prone to make the odd statement that makes you raise your eyebrows. On the other thread he implied that the 'strict' security was because the club were apparently expecting an anti-nuclear demo the other Saturday as the FA Cup is sponsored by EON! Also his statment that we have more trained stewards than any other club in the country strikes me as being, well, 'difficult to believe'. If it IS the case then we can surely save money by cutting the numbers down until we've only got as many as, say, Man U?

I think many of us have come to the conclusion that Dullard is full of shit

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
True. A really good friend of mine is a steward at Withdean and I know he's not a proto-Nazi who'd have joined the SS in a different era - far from it. And despite his name NMH is no Hitler!

I see your point about cutting numbers but because all our stewards are NVQ trained and 75% of us have SIA door licences it means we can run more police free games than any other club.This is actually saving the club money.
More fully trained stewards = less police = less money spent per game.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham

However I do worry a bit about Steward433 as he is prone to make the odd statement that makes you raise your eyebrows.

I do think this is part of the problem. I know stewards have a hard job (sometimes - though some make it hard for themselves). Unfortunately this chap makes it harder for all of them with some of the rubbish he comes out with.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I see your point about cutting numbers but because all our stewards are NVQ trained and 75% of us have SIA door licences it means we can run more police free games than any other club.This is actually saving the club money.
More fully trained stewards = less police = less money spent per game.
Well that actually sounds logical. As I don't know the costs involved or the regulations, and as you're NOT steward 433 I'll accept your answer. Thankyou.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I must admit I have moved seats in H block. I don't know if I have just got old, or it's the perpetual steward baiting. Now before some o you start, yes I have had my moments with some of the stewards, and I have apologized later to them, or at the next game. Football is about passion, or at least it should be.

Standing whilst singing is uncomfortable, the sound just does not carry. But the law is that we sit in grounds now and cannot stand. Fact.

88brighton

Feb 13, 2008
Hangleton
Im not against stewards doing their job but what makes me laugh the most is when they have serious chats with people reagarding something that they have done wrong.
i was at the game wednesday and some young kid(about 13) was trying to be the big i am infront of his mates trying to get people to stand up around him. At half time 3 stewards went up to confront him? THREE??? Why do you need three people to address the matter? From my point of view looking at the kid he looked intimidated. Which is not a nice feeling especially at that age .Any stewards on here wish to enlighten me on why it takes three?

Golden Graham

Sep 2, 2008
I must admit I have moved seats in H block. I don't know if I have just got old, or it's the perpetual steward baiting. Now before some o you start, yes I have had my moments with some of the stewards, and I have apologized later to them, or at the next game. Football is about passion, or at least it should be.

Standing whilst singing is uncomfortable, the sound just does not carry. But the law is that we sit in grounds now and cannot stand. Fact.

But as you're 4 foot tall they can't tell if you're standing or not. :lolol:

88brighton

Feb 13, 2008
Hangleton
ok well it happened in the H block. I sit on the edge of J and did not look nice from his point of view. worse thing was he seemed so scared that he did not stand during half time as he was worried he would get kicked out. maybe someone else may know more?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here