Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why The Steward bashing

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I did have a word on Wednesday re the standees in the North Stand. Again I was informed that they were all from the media, now on Wednesday there were a good amount of empty seats in the stand, and this just appeared wrong, especially as H block was advised to sit within five mins.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well that actually sounds logical. As I don't know the costs involved or the regulations, and as you're NOT steward 433 I'll accept your answer. Thankyou.

The key phrase is indeed "fully trainied". If memory serves me correctly BHA were the first club to insist that ALL stewards become qualified and have led the way. A lot of premiershite teams haven't even started training their stewards. Yes, there are some twats, but for me I'm pleased that they are all trained in emergency first aid, fire fighting, crowd control and searching. I for one feel safer for it !

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I know the stewards have a difficult job in our "all seater" stadium.

The two things that get on my wick is the fact with a large away support they will not insist the away fans sit down...but the home fans have to. SCARED? There is always a police presence.

Also Stewards are watching the match an awful amount of time, whether from the stand or at pitchside.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Blame lord justice Taylor not the stewards who are only following orders.

Didn't someone say that at Nuremberg....what a delicious comparative irony!:yahoo::lolol:

I hear what you are saying but surely part of the search process is to be seen to be searching as well. Security is also about reassuring the general public? Also, heaven forbid if they searched everyone properly, imagine the pile of rubber gloves!!!!

Not to forget the very important factor of discouraging POTENTIAL weapon carriers.
It's not so much about searching existing fans for minor items, as making a terrorist think twice before targeting the rather tasty crowded venues that are football stadiums.
Buses are easy - no searches, carry big bags, no questions asked.
Thinking of bombing football fans?
"wait.... there's a bunch of stewards searching people for any potentially dangerous items......think I'll skip that idea and head for an easier target"

So, no bomb incidents at football matches - maybe there's a reason for that?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Sorry but "I know what is and isnt allowed in at a football stadium" doesnt really cut the mustard. Imagine if you said that kind of comment at an airport? how are they supposed to know who has a knife or booze or what have you? I'm sure they can tell what a mobile phone feels like, not like theyhavent searched anyone before

End of their day they're just doing their job and generally not a bad un. Sure you get the odd issue but theres many grounds with worse stewards

As for not telling the Leicester fans to sit down, f*** it. We stand at away games sometimes, just cos we cant dont see why it bothers anyone. f*** it if I paid to sit in that shit stand I'd insist on standing up myself and still feel ripped off

And watching the game? f*** I would if I could get away with it and I wasnt needed to do anything in the stands at that time. How many people on here are posting on NSC from work?

You contradict yourself my friend - why's it ok to break the law if you're a Leicester fan visiting Withdean but not if you're visiting an airport?

Actually, I know the answer to that and that's the entire point of this thread. It's f***ing ridiculous to treat people going into a crappy 3rd tier English football match with the same level of security as something much higher in profile. And double standards are so easy to find. Lobbing a toilet roll now is a criminal offence where's as only 10 years ago it was regular pre-match banter with the away keeper at every match nationwide. How many footballers were killed by these toilet rolls? My memory's not what it used to be, so someone please remind me.

Anti-terrorist legislation is the new H&S excuse: we all know both are effectively abused by petty administrators to empower officials and control 'the masses' to the point we might as well all pack up and go home. Lets face it, football supporters are guilty until proved innocent 20 years after the hooliganism largely died. Just expressing a different opinion during an 'incident' will see you thrown out with no right of appeal and would fall on deaf ears because you're deemed scum. There are some good stewards and there are some bad ones. Unfortunately, the all important average is poor. And always likely will be. And that's why many people's experience is sometimes spoiled by their presence rather than enhanced.

As for withdean, I've always said. If someone can lob something from the south stand into the away section, they should be fast tracked for 2012 rather than arrested.

Because most people HATE stewards.

I've certainly never been a fan.

Many stewards went from being terrace fans, to be stewards. Not much changed about them actually - they just developed a vested interest in looking after the best interests of their fellow fans - notably the well-behaved ones who are there to enjoy the game to the best possible degree.

Rocket science it isn't - but oh yes, as soon as they put on the uniform and perfom that worthy undertaking, they are suddenly vilified and reviled by 'certain sections' of the crowd.

Fact is, as soon as you mention stewards on NSC, there's a target for malcontents to shoot their barbs and get all heated-up under their collars.
Not a big deal really, I always expect it anyway - but it is a bit ott from some people.

Incidentally, there are many stewards attending events who perform functions other than watching the crowd all match, or have other requirements they've attended to. They are still available to attend to crowd, or person-to-person issues, and at Brighton and Hove Albion you can expect them to perform to a high standard.

I believe the more sensible in attendance do understand the need for stewards, are patient about the minor inconveniences that may take a few moments of their time, and can tell what a difference it makes to their experience at Withdean Stadium.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Many stewards went from being terrace fans, to be stewards. Not much changed about them actually - they just developed a vested interest in looking after the best interests of their fellow fans - notably the well-behaved ones who are there to enjoy the game to the best possible degree.

Rocket science it isn't - but oh yes, as soon as they put on the uniform and perfom that worthy undertaking, they are suddenly vilified and reviled by 'certain sections' of the crowd.

Fact is, as soon as you mention stewards on NSC, there's a target for malcontents to shoot their barbs and get all heated-up under their collars.
Not a big deal really, I always expect it anyway - but it is a bit ott from some people.

Incidentally, there are many stewards attending events who perform functions other than watching the crowd all match, or have other requirements they've attended to. They are still available to attend to crowd, or person-to-person issues, and at Brighton and Hove Albion you can expect them to perform to a high standard.

I believe the more sensible in attendance do understand the need for stewards, are patient about the minor inconveniences that may take a few moments of their time, and can tell what a difference it makes to their experience at Withdean Stadium.

MHN

"Rocket science it isn't"

Maybe the stewards need to realise.............

what a difference the stewards behaviour makes to (the fans) experience at Withdean Stadium?

Get your head out of your ar@e MHN

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
You contradict yourself my friend - why's it ok to break the law if you're a Leicester fan visiting Withdean but not if you're visiting an airport?

Actually, I know the answer to that and that's the entire point of this thread. It's f***ing ridiculous to treat people going into a crappy 3rd tier English football match with the same level of security as something much higher in profile. And double standards are so easy to find. Lobbing a toilet roll now is a criminal offence where's as only 10 years ago it was regular pre-match banter with the away keeper at every match nationwide. How many footballers were killed by these toilet rolls? My memory's not what it used to be, so someone please remind me.

Anti-terrorist legislation is the new H&S excuse: we all know both are effectively abused by petty administrators to empower officials and control 'the masses' to the point we might as well all pack up and go home. Lets face it, football supporters are guilty until proved innocent 20 years after the hooliganism largely died. Just expressing a different opinion during an 'incident' will see you thrown out with no right of appeal and would fall on deaf ears because you're deemed scum. There are some good stewards and there are some bad ones. Unfortunately, the all important average is poor. And always likely will be. And that's why many people's experience is sometimes spoiled by their presence rather than enhanced.

As for withdean, I've always said. If someone can lob something from the south stand into the away section, they should be fast tracked for 2012 rather than arrested.

I see where you're coming from mate but I see standing up in the away end at a footy match slightly less potentialy dodgy than a terrorist trying to blow a plane up. In fact f*** it. I think we might be saying the same thing. Bit too drunk now to read and debate properly. Have a nice evening Portloch :thumbsup:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Not to forget the very important factor of discouraging POTENTIAL weapon carriers.
It's not so much about searching existing fans for minor items, as making a terrorist think twice before targeting the rather tasty crowded venues that are football stadiums.
Buses are easy - no searches, carry big bags, no questions asked.
Thinking of bombing football fans?
"wait.... there's a bunch of stewards searching people for any potentially dangerous items......think I'll skip that idea and head for an easier target"

So, no bomb incidents at football matches - maybe there's a reason for that?

Good point, well made!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here