Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why The Steward bashing

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
What has that got to do with it? You buy a ticket for a SEAT, which would suggest you SIT on it.

If you don't want to sit down, don't buy a ticket. Don't start having a go at someone who is there to enforce the law.

I'm sure if he could, Steward would let everyone stand up, but he can't.

Nothing at all, not sure where I suggested we should all be allowed to stand.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
So if I ignore your "request" next Saturday what exactly will happen?

Not my request as i will be working elsewhere next Saturday.

If you ignore the request to sit when asked then you will most likely be ejected and banned for a period of time down to the safety officer and the stewards who eject you.

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
Strangely enough BHAFC has the highest number of fully trained stewards in the country. The club is also rated one of the best by the F.A.

IF you bothered to find out how many hours of training we go through them maybe you would alter your view a bit

I work in IT I know loads of people who have done loads of training, sadly it doesn't necessarily mean they know what they are doing or make them good at their job.

Common sense can not be supplied in training courses I'm afraid...

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I work in IT I know loads of people who have done loads of training, sadly it doesn't necessarily mean they know what they are doing or make them good at their job.

Common sense can not be supplied in training courses I'm afraid...

Now that i can agree with. Sad but true statement.

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
Now that i can agree with. Sad but true statement.

I assume from your user name that you are a steward.

Can you please explain what it is that you and your colleagues are actually looking for when you search people at the entrances?

As (to my knowledge) there have not been many shootings or stabbings or dangerous missiles thrown at Withdean - what the hell are you looking for?

Thankfully, unlike numerous other stadiums, we don't have the ridiculous rule of removing lids from drinks bottles. My wife said this happened when she went to see Take That at the O2 arena but those in the know just took spare lids with them in their handbags!!!

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I would not generally respond to this sort of thing but certain things have pushed me into it:

Searching - why do the stewards insist on searching everyone when there is a low crowd or if you are late for the game. If there are a lot of people in the queues they just don't bother. As a 44 year old educated bloke, arriving at the game with his wife and teenage kids I feel quite offended by this unnecessary searching. Having attended football for 30 odd years I think I know what is and isn't allowed into a football stadium.
Also the search procedures are an utter waste of time. A bit of patting of pockets is just a waste of time. I always have a phone in my pocket which is 'patted' but never am I asked what it is - it could be a stanley knife for all they know.
I asked the steward on Wednesday what he was looking for and he told me he was looking for machine guns and knives - yeah hilarious, you would not have found one if I had been carrying one you useless plank!!!

I attend England games all over the world and expect to get searched properly. Emptying of pockets, explaining what everything is and all of that using sign language due to the language barrier - it just makes the efforts of the Withdean muppets even more embarrassing.

Watching the game - I watched a group of six stewards stand in front of A-block on Wednesday night and for the majority of the first half they chatted and watched the game. At no point did they look at the crowd - what an utter waste of time. If the crowd is so low that their crowd control services are not required get them picking up litter or doing something useful. The only reason their huddle was broken up was because the two female members of the group decided to go for a stroll up the touchline at which point the male stewards in the group seemed to lose interest in the huddle.

Moving people along the running track - they are all very brave when there are ones and twos loitering on the running track but as soon as the numbers get high they disappear and effectively 'bottle it'. Either enforce the rules for all or don't bother.

I really hope for tha sake of the club and supporters that there is never a full blown emergency at Withdean. Quite frankly I would do my own thing as I would not have enough faith in these orange/yellow jacketed clowns to actually organise a safe evacuation.

Waits in anticipation of excuses from the stewards that post on here....

You asked a question that you think you know the answer to but you could try finding out for sure!! "Having attended football for 30 odd years I think I know what is and isn't allowed into a football stadium"

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
You asked a question that you think you know the answer to but you could try finding out for sure!! "Having attended football for 30 odd years I think I know what is and isn't allowed into a football stadium"

No I asked you what you and your colleagues are looking for .

A simple list will do rather than trying to be clever. And you wonder why people are intolerant of you....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thankfully, unlike numerous other stadiums, we don't have the ridiculous rule of removing lids from drinks bottles. My wife said this happened when she went to see Take That at the O2 arena but those in the know just took spare lids with them in their handbags!!!

Was there the first season at Withdean, but very very quickly removed - because as you say it is ridiculous.

With the above example, that is simply a way of making sure you buy drinks in the arena. Nothing more and nothing less.

Any ruling that says you can't take your own food or drink into a venue whose primary purpose isn't to serve food should be illegal.

I do find what you and can't take into a football ground wildly illogical.

I can't take a can, but I can take a flask.

Coins aren't banned which appear to be the weapon of choice.

Boxes of matches and a lighter are allowed.

I can't take a professional looking camera, but a camera or video camera on my phone is allowed.

.. but not the fault of the stewards, nor are they picking on people.

I always got a bag with me and I've never entered the stadium without having it searched.

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
Any ruling that says you can't take your own food or drink into a venue whose primary purpose isn't to serve food should be illegal.

Southend Away last season took this rule to a extreme that I had never before witnessed.
You could take food in as long as it wasn't hot!!

So I turned up with a kebab of some description in a pitta told I could not take it in because it was 'hot'. So I ate the meat and then asked the steward if I could now go in as all I had left was the pitta and salad - to my amazement he said yes!!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Southend Away last season took this rule to a extreme that I had never before witnessed.
You could take food in as long as it wasn't hot!!

So I turned up with a kebab of some description in a pitta told I could not take it in because it was 'hot'. So I ate the meat and then asked the steward if I could now go in as all I had left was the pitta and salad - to my amazement he said yes!!!

That in itself isn't the steward fault, more the club trying you entice you into that luverly facility they have inside.

Me and brother went in there this season and were just laughing that in this day and age something like a football ground can offer the stuff in there as "food and drink"

Like most the stuff on offer at Withdean, it is absolutely shit. This country has moved in in terms of what it what it calls food, but you always rely on a football ground to put something that Asda would be embarresed to call meat in between two halves of a bun.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights

Can you please explain what it is that you and your colleagues are actually looking for when you search people at the entrances?

As (to my knowledge) there have not been many shootings or stabbings or dangerous missiles thrown at Withdean - what the hell are you looking for?

I work at the BC on show security and it is a common procedure to take bottle tops off for health and saftey reasons.The venue dosen't make this policy,it is the artists production and manager who make the rules.Some football stadiums employ this ruling,the withdean dosen't because the pitch is so far away from the stands.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Not my request as i will be working elsewhere next Saturday.

If you ignore the request to sit when asked then you will most likely be ejected and banned for a period of time down to the safety officer and the stewards who eject you.

Am pretty sure that although you stewards might like to add the power to ban people to your remit, at present that is down to the safety officer and the courts.

You are not Judge Dredd.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Strangely enough BHAFC has the highest number of fully trained stewards in the country. The club is also rated one of the best by the F.A.

IF you bothered to find out how many hours of training we go through them maybe you would alter your view a bit

So that's where the playing budget has gone, if we only had the same number of fully trained stewards as at Old Trafford we would be in the championship.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
stewards are NOT the same at all grounds and thats whats so annoying.

the law is the same all over the country - however some grounds you'll be able to stand up, jump around, swear, have banter with fans etc (errr, just like football SHOULD be), and then other grounds the stewards are a f***ing joke - jobsworth to the max.

To name a couple Forest, Stoke, Reading and our very own SHITdean.....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
AARGGHH! How many more times do I need to spell out to some fuckwits: My moan was NOT about the stewarding. Perhaps you didn't understand it. I know that it's written with some words of more than 2 syllables. I'll try again.

The stewarding was not the object of my moan. It was the NUMBER OF STEWARDS MANNING AN EMPTY STAND.

Do you understand? Have you got that? Is it clear?

My subsequent ire was targeted at the absolute crap that the stewards who posted on here actually did post as justification for this. It's very clear it was not necessary. Not in the Family Stand.

Fine, we need a certain number of stewards to comply with health and safety. I understand. Could they not have been employed around stands that did have people in them? Did they need to confiscate a McDonald's windmill? Did they have to take......Oh f*** it. I've posted when I said I wouldn't.

I'm out of here. Enjoy your binfest.

Good, silence at last.

I would not generally respond to this sort of thing but certain things have pushed me into it:

Searching - why do the stewards insist on searching everyone when there is a low crowd or if you are late for the game. If there are a lot of people in the queues they just don't bother. As a 44 year old educated bloke, arriving at the game with his wife and teenage kids I feel quite offended by this unnecessary searching. Having attended football for 30 odd years I think I know what is and isn't allowed into a football stadium.
Also the search procedures are an utter waste of time. A bit of patting of pockets is just a waste of time. I always have a phone in my pocket which is 'patted' but never am I asked what it is - it could be a stanley knife for all they know.
I asked the steward on Wednesday what he was looking for and he told me he was looking for machine guns and knives - yeah hilarious, you would not have found one if I had been carrying one you useless plank!!!

I attend England games all over the world and expect to get searched properly. Emptying of pockets, explaining what everything is and all of that using sign language due to the language barrier - it just makes the efforts of the Withdean muppets even more embarrassing.

Watching the game - I watched a group of six stewards stand in front of A-block on Wednesday night and for the majority of the first half they chatted and watched the game. At no point did they look at the crowd - what an utter waste of time. If the crowd is so low that their crowd control services are not required get them picking up litter or doing something useful. The only reason their huddle was broken up was because the two female members of the group decided to go for a stroll up the touchline at which point the male stewards in the group seemed to lose interest in the huddle.

Moving people along the running track - they are all very brave when there are ones and twos loitering on the running track but as soon as the numbers get high they disappear and effectively 'bottle it'. Either enforce the rules for all or don't bother.

I really hope for tha sake of the club and supporters that there is never a full blown emergency at Withdean. Quite frankly I would do my own thing as I would not have enough faith in these orange/yellow jacketed clowns to actually organise a safe evacuation.

Waits in anticipation of excuses from the stewards that post on here....

I think the orginal reason for the lids was to prevent them being thrown as when you purchased drinks inside the Withdean they also removed the tops so there was nothing to stop you bringing your own. Rules applied to both but thankfully not anymore.

Let's be honest, it only takes one moron to ruin it for everyone. If we did away with stewards and relied on the common sense of the fans then most of us would be alright. However, how long before some muppet chances his arm or we start to get thugs turning up who have previously being banned.

I get fed up with hearing from people whinging on security, whether it be at football grounds or airports or stations etc. It is a minor inconvenience due to the behaviour or potential behaviour of a minority. I was in London on July 7th 2005 in a building about halfway between Liverpool St and Aldgate when the bomb went off in the Underground. I wasn't hurt but a friend of mine was no that train and got injured. I flew back from honeymoon 2 days after 9-11, having to fly back over Libya. Not surprisingly I was nervous as the new security had not kicked in so anyone could have had a bomb or a knife. I don't worry about security, I welcome it. Now, I don't expect anyone to bomb withdean but if some idiots decided they were going to cause trouble, as they used to do in the 70s and 80s then it wouldn't be long before we didn't have a club to follow because we wouldn't have a safety certificate. All the trauma over the last 12 years would have been wasted.

I am not steward but know they are just doing what they are told and what they are required to do by law. In any walk of life you will get people who do their job with a sense of humour and others who don't, not just in stewarding. I suspect all the whingers could identify people where they work who don't have a sense of humour.

On the one hand I would say to the whingers get a life but on the other, I assume that because they whinge about a minor thing like being searched going into a football ground then if this is the worst thing they can moan about then everything else in their lives must be rosy.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham

BHAFC: average crowd 6k. MUFC average crowd 70k.
Why do I find it hard to equate your statement with the figures???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here