Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the HELL is the joke thread locked?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Oh I think we do know what we are doing, and the personal insults (to all moderators who are also members) wont do your cause any good.

I notice the owner of the board who posted before you didn't deem a ban necessary but Mr Hitony, who like to throw bans around like confetti, thought he would like to flex his cyber muscles once more.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The one thing I have noticed about NSC moderation is that it is often linked to the poster rather than the content.

Note that this thread is still active - jacko jokes - North Stand Chat
It's the more recent Jacko Jokes thread which has a few of the more 'established' posters contributing if my link doesn't work.

And this comment seems to go uncensored -

Abuse of members often leads to a ban for some yet you often get Hiney launching into a tirade of abuse when he deems someone is being overly negative to the club after a defeat and I'm sure I saw LB referring to Nibble as an arsehole in a thread recently.

But, as the owner says, whose ball it is - take it or leave it

I mostly leave it with regards to posting now a days.

It's not all that often! My 'tirades of abuse' are usually triggered by unnecessarily personal and vitriolic attacks on individuals, rather than negativity in general. One of the things that triggers mod 'activity' is the 'report post' function. I don't actually recall ayone reporting any of my 'tirades'. I have been banned for it though, so I really don't think it's 'one rule for one and one rule for others'.

My feeling is very much that if you come onto an internet messageboard, you have to be prepared to take the rough with the smooth (criminal?) and also to read a lot of stuff that you might not agree with. That's the price you pay for the anonymity of the internet. Basically, if you read someting you don't like, don't return to the thread.

There is no hard and fast rule for moderation either. We just call it as we see it, taking into account our own personal thresholds. I happen to think the moderation on here is pretty good on the whole, with much stuff let go compared to other messageboards.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I f***ing LOVE rool when he goes on one of his wholly justified rants on how people are treated differently depending on the person.

And he's spot on here. hitony has got to be the shittest mod we've ever seen.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Bozza's Forum. Bozza's Rules. Simples. Why fight? Its not like he will turn around and go 'acutally yes. do take the piss out of MJ.'

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I notice the owner of the board who posted before you didn't deem a ban necessary but Mr Hitony, who like to throw bans around like confetti, thought he would like to flex his cyber muscles once more.

I think he is spot on with this. The poster in question has got history in being a complete arse and this probably tipped the balance.

The jibe was at all moderators and if one took offence to it then he is well within his rights to ban him

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Very much a newbie but by the same token an avid fan of NSC. First time I have seen a MOD get overly officious and noticeably dictatorial seemingly because he is a big fan of Jacko and Jacko's demise has had the odd derogatory post or joke about him.
Real, real shame and, I suggest, not what moderating is all about.
But, hey, I'm just a newbie so I will shut up....???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For the record, when I die I want people telling jokes about me, jokes I told them, funny stories about me etc. I don't want people getting all miserable about me dying, it's the final part of life.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Very much a newbie but by the same token an avid fan of NSC. First time I have seen a MOD get overly officious and noticeably dictatorial seemingly because he is a big fan of Jacko and Jacko's demise has had the odd derogatory post or joke about him.
Real, real shame and, I suggest, not what moderating is all about.
But, hey, I'm just a newbie so I will shut up....???

It's not someone simply making a derogatory remark or telling a joke that may have caused offence, but telling jokes that imply that someone is guilty of sexual abuse of children, even after he has been acquitted.

Try reading this article
Telegraph Blogs Taunting of Cardiff manager Dave Jones by Nottingham Forest fans shows football at its worst

and tell me if you think jokes suggesting that Dave Jones is a pedophile have any place on NSC

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
It's not someone simply making a derogatory remark or telling a joke that may have caused offence, but telling jokes that imply that someone is guilty of sexual abuse of children, even after he has been acquitted.

Try reading this article
Telegraph Blogs Taunting of Cardiff manager Dave Jones by Nottingham Forest fans shows football at its worst

and tell me if you think jokes suggesting that Dave Jones is a pedophile have any place on NSC

Entirely agree with you in that instance....but to close a joke thread because you are a big fan and dont fancy reading the jokes is a rocky path to tred. Not opening the thread is surely the way to deal with this or you open yourself up to all sorts of criticism.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
So WW calls someone a name and gets a ban?... f*** me, this guy gets slated left, right and centre, do those that slate and name call him gets bans?... Do they f***... I'd like to think he'd be unbanned by the end of the day or those have constantly ripped this piss out of him are all banned by the end of the day... (which will have probably included me at some point)

:jester:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Entirely agree with you in that instance....but to close a joke thread because you are a big fan and dont fancy reading the jokes is a rocky path to tred. Not opening the thread is surely the way to deal with this or you open yourself up to all sorts of criticism.

Where does it say
a) who closed the thread
b) that that person was a big fan
c) that they closed the thread just because they didn't fancy reading the jokes rather than any other reasons?

This may well be the case, but I haven't seen the original post that shows this.

Thanks.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Similar to you, I dont really fancy going back over all the posts to check either. I may be wrong and am happy to bow to your experience and knowledge about the banned and the 'banner'.
What is the historical NSC form for this. When someone passes away and the sick jokes appear, are the threads automatically closed down? Not sure this can be a selective process.
When the likes of Uri Geller and David Icke, for instance, pass away will their joke threads also be closed down?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Similar to you, I dont really fancy going back over all the posts to check either. I may be wrong and am happy to bow to your experience and knowledge about the banned and the 'banner'.
What is the historical NSC form for this. When someone passes away and the sick jokes appear, are the threads automatically closed down? Not sure this can be a selective process.
When the likes of Uri Geller and David Icke, for instance, pass away will their joke threads also be closed down?

When Jade Goody stiffed it recently there was a similar binfest.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Oh I think we do know what we are doing, and the personal insults (to all moderators who are also members) wont do your cause any good.

Come on Tony, even you must have seen the amount of shit that WW has to take on here, why is it that the mods don't bat an eyelid when he's being called all the names under the sun but as soon as he calls a mod a little name that justifies a ban?... Quite frankly is smacks of double standard power hungriness, do the mods a favour and unban the miserable goat, the banning is simply not fair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here