Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the Forster penalty should have been retaken

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The third goal that was a penalty was offside? Clearly not the goal itself, so I presume you mean the build up, durinig which dickinson was standing near the byline, playing the stockport players near the edge of the box onside.

That just got me wondering why an attacking player can be "not active" because he doesn't touch the ball, but a defending player is always "active" even when he's nowhere near play. Odd. The offside rule really is an ass.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That just got me wondering why an attacking player can be "not active" because he doesn't touch the ball, but a defending player is always "active" even when he's nowhere near play. Odd. The offside rule really is an ass.

Its not really is it?

How dull would football be if only active defenders were counted?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Well done Tim. Praise where it's due. :clap:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Why are five defenders the furthest advanced of all the players. Where are our players following in?

But yes the ref should have made the penalty be taken again for encroachment. What the linesman is bothering to look so intent on if he is going to miss the goalie being six foot off his line I have no idea.

Two officials, each missed 1 encroachment-the goalkeeper and their defender. If that had been one of our guys that far inside the area and Forster had scored you can bet it would have had to have been re-taken.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Oh contrare here is my reply from my contact at the FL

Dear Mr Hodges

Thank you for your email, which was referred to the National Group Manager for attention. He has responded as follows:

“I have to say that these are very difficult situations for an assistant referee to judge with the naked eye.

He has to listen for the thud of the ball and then watch that the goalie moves forward after that.

It sounds easy – in practice it isn’t.

From the picture sent in, it does appear that the assistant has made an error of judgement, but not a ‘glaring’ one.

I will forward this to his coach so that he can go through it with him.”

Patricia Brown

Customer Service

The Football League

Sorry-what have they said other than their usual bullshit?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps Michel Platini's idea of an extra lino at each end will mean that one of them can watch for encroachment behind the ball and the ref and lino watch the keeper.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which would achieve the best chance of success:

1 man writing as in this case and then receiving a reply, albeit a nicely worded f..k off, we are not really interested in your view.

2000 people writing in about the same subject, they wouldnt send the same answer to 2000 people I wouldnt think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Get over it. The odds were still heavily stacked in Forster's favour and he should have scored.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So adding in two highly dodgy sendings off, and the offside on their third goal not a good day for the ref. Still he got the result he so clearly wanted.

Having seen the Albion bookings again they are all acts which, if you commit , you run a very high risk of being booked or sent off. I dont think they were dodgy at all. The only question I have is why did Elphick make such a rash challenge when on a booking when there was absolutely no risk. That is dodgy. He's young and he'll learn but to blame the ref for the defeat is wrong in my opinion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The only question I have is why did Elphick make such a rash challenge when on a booking when there was absolutely no risk. That is dodgy. He's young and he'll learn but to blame the ref for the defeat is wrong in my opinion.

We had just scored our third goal of the season. After our first and second goals we conceded pretty quickly. It seemed to me like all the players were trying to avoid it being a third, all the players seemed to be closing faster, pushing the defenders, I think there were a couple of other hearty challenges going in. I think he just went over the top with it.

The offside rule really is an ass.

I seem to remember it being quite clear cut when I was younger. If there were fewer than two opposing players between you and your opponents goal when the ball was played forward you were offside.

But then people started to complain. Long range shots were disallowed because someone by the corner flag was doing up their laces.

It was changed because the fans, players, managers etc. wanted to stop this unfairness.

So, they introduced "being in an offside position" and "being offside". You could be in an offside position but if you were within 20 yards of the ball when it's played forward you were offside. This would mean a direct run down the centre would be disallowed because there's another player just outside the box.

So, it was changed again, this time if you were "interfering with play". Then everyone started to question what that meant.

So it was changed to simply touching the ball. But we got things like lee trundle accompanying th ball across the line without touching it from an offside position making a mockery of it.

Now we have a combination of interfering with play and phases of the attack.

We keep hearing from some commentators how "I don't understand why they changed it, it was fine as it was". Even though, as mentioned above, it wasn't fine and at the time they didn't think it was.

The offside rule is something that we have to have to stop teams leaving a forward on the edge of their opponent's penalty box ready for a hoofed clearance.

But there isn't a way to form the offside rule hat doesn't have flaws.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We had just scored our third goal of the season. After our first and second goals we conceded pretty quickly. It seemed to me like all the players were trying to avoid it being a third, all the players seemed to be closing faster, pushing the defenders, I think there were a couple of other hearty challenges going in. I think he just went over the top with it..

That's fine. I dont have a big issue with it. As I said he's young and will learn but I do think it is unfair to blame the ref for this and our plight in general. The reason we are next to bottom is not down to bad refereeing, which if you were to listen to some people after games you'd think we were.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
That's fine. I dont have a big issue with it. As I said he's young and will learn but I do think it is unfair to blame the ref for this and our plight in general. The reason we are next to bottom is not down to bad refereeing, which if you were to listen to some people after games you'd think we were.

Exactly. Its because at the moment we are playing like 11 flids.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here