Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the Forster penalty should have been retaken

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Of course it wouldnt of actually mattered if Forster had put the ball in the net?

That's actually written into the rules, I believe. Any infringement at a penalty that doesn't result in the benifit is ignored. i.e. if the keeper comes off his line and it goes in, the infringement is ignored. If an attacking player encroaches, but the penalty is cleared, no infringement.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
So adding in two highly dodgy sendings off, and the offside on their third goal not a good day for the ref. Still he got the result he so clearly wanted.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So adding in two highly dodgy sendings off, and the offside on their third goal not a good day for the ref. Still he got the result he so clearly wanted.

Which were the dodgy sendings off the rough challenge from behind on a yellow card? The tugging of the shirt on the last man admitted by hawkins? The petulant kicking away of the ball by someone on a yellow card?

The third goal that was a penalty was offside? Clearly not the goal itself, so I presume you mean the build up, durinig which dickinson was standing near the byline, playing the stockport players near the edge of the box onside.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
not a good day for the ref. Still he got the result he so clearly wanted.

surely your not suggesting he cheated , you must reasonable & rational & agree that the ref got everything right or use acker 79's seat so you can see every incident through the refs eyes.....or just maybe you could be right.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
surely your not suggesting he cheated , you must reasonable & rational & agree that the ref got everything right or use acker 79's seat so you can see every incident through the refs eyes.....or just maybe you could be right.

Or russell slade's seat, or the seat of the thousands of other people who aren't blaming the ref.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Remember that shootout in the Champions League Final a few years ago when the Brazilian keeper was way off his line for all the pens and I think he saved most of them? I'd have thought seeing that, the FA might have cracked down on it over here...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
picture.php

Two reasons, you would think the ref or the linesman would have seen one of them.

Why are five defenders the furthest advanced of all the players. Where are our players following in?

But yes the ref should have made the penalty be taken again for encroachment. What the linesman is bothering to look so intent on if he is going to miss the goalie being six foot off his line I have no idea.

Law 14 - The Penalty Kick
A penalty kick is awarded against a team that commits one of the ten offences
for which a direct free kick is awarded, inside its own penalty area and while
the ball is in play.
A goal may be scored directly from a penalty kick.
Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken at the end of each half
or at the end of periods of extra time.
Position of the Ball and the Players
The ball:
• must be placed on the penalty mark
The player taking the penalty kick:
• must be properly identifi ed
The defending goalkeeper:
• must remain on his goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until
the ball has been kicked

The players other than the kicker must be located:
• inside the fi eld of play
outside the penalty area
• behind the penalty mark
• at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the penalty mark

Procedure
• After the players have taken positions in accordance with this Law, the
referee signals for the penalty kick to be taken
• The player taking the penalty kick must kick the ball forward
• He must not play the ball again until it has touched another player
• The ball is in play when it is kicked and moves forward
When a penalty kick is taken during the normal course of play, or time has
been extended at half-time or full time to allow a penalty kick to be taken or
retaken, a goal is awarded if, before passing between the goalposts and under
the crossbar:
• the ball touches either or both of the goalposts and/or the crossbar and/or
the goalkeeper
The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed.

Infringements and Sanctions
If the referee gives the signal for a penalty kick to be taken
and, before the ball is in play, one of the following occurs:
the player taking the penalty kick infringes the Laws of the Game:
• the referee allows the kick to be taken
• if the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken
• if the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and the match is
restarted with an indirect free kick to the defending team, from the place
where the infringement occurred
the goalkeeper infringes the Laws of the Game:
• if the ball enters the goal, a goal is awarded
• if the ball does not enter the goal, the kick is retaken
a team-mate of the player taking the kick infringes the Laws of the Game:
• if the ball enters the goal, the kick is retaken
• if the ball does not enter the goal, the referee stops play and the match is
restarted with an indirect free kick to the defending team, from the place
where the infringement occurred
a team-mate of the goalkeeper infringes the Laws of the Game:
• if the ball enters the goal, a goal is awarded
• if the ball does not enter the goal, the kick is retaken
a player of both the defending team and the attacking team infringe the Laws
of the Game:
• the kick is retaken
LAW 14 – THE PENALTY KICK
If, after the penalty kick has been taken:
the kicker touches the ball again (except with his hands) before it has touched
another player:
• an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken
from the place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 – Position of
Free Kick)
the kicker deliberately handles the ball before it has touched another player:
• a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team, the kick to be taken
from the place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 – Position of
Free Kick)
the ball is touched by an outside agent as it moves forward:
• the kick is retaken
the ball rebounds into the fi eld of play from the goalkeeper, the crossbar or the
goalposts, and is then touched by an outside agent:
• the referee stops play
• play is restarted with a dropped ball at the place where it touched the
outside agent, unless it touched the outside agent inside the goal area, in
which case the referee drops the ball on the goal area line parallel to the
goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was located when play was
stopped

Last edited:

lenny

Jul 19, 2005
BEXHILL-ON-SEA
It always surprises me that linesman do not get more involved in the game. Quite clearly from the picture shown the linesman has a perfect view of the goalkeeper off his line and he should have raised his flag.

Why are five defenders the furthest advanced of all the players. Where are our players following in?

But yes the ref should have made the penalty be taken again for encroachment. What the linesman is bothering to look so intent on if he is going to miss the goalie being six foot off his line I have no idea.

the linesman looks as thosugh he is concentrating on seeing whether the ball crosses the line, rather that the position of the goalkeeper.

D

Deleted User X18H

So what do you expect them to do or say?

"Hey fellas, we've got some idiot here sending in pictures of a goalkeeper moving off his line before a penalty was taken. f*** knows what he wants us to do-send him the usual reply".

Oh contrare here is my reply from my contact at the FL

Dear Mr Hodges

Thank you for your email, which was referred to the National Group Manager for attention. He has responded as follows:

“I have to say that these are very difficult situations for an assistant referee to judge with the naked eye.

He has to listen for the thud of the ball and then watch that the goalie moves forward after that.

It sounds easy – in practice it isn’t.

From the picture sent in, it does appear that the assistant has made an error of judgement, but not a ‘glaring’ one.

I will forward this to his coach so that he can go through it with him.”

Patricia Brown

Customer Service

The Football League

The Football League - LATEST NEWS, FIXTURES, RESULTS AND TABLES | OFFICIAL SITE

The Football League Ltd. Registered Office - Edward VII Quay, Navigation Way, Preston PR2 2YF. Registered No: 80612. Tel: 0844 463 1888. Fax: 0844 826 5188.

London Office - 30 Gloucester Place, London, W1U 8FL. Fax: 0844 826 3103

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Good on the football league for replying and by taking action. Obviously they would never have replayed or changed the result of the match. So that reply suggests the best possible solution.

I would never have expected the fooball league to reply in a million years.

:thumbsup:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
“I have to say that these are very difficult situations for an assistant referee to judge with the naked eye.

He has to listen for the thud of the ball and then watch that the goalie moves forward after that.

It sounds easy – in practice it isn’t.

I'm sorry but thats complete bollocks Mr Football League man, for starters linesman should have good eyesight. Secondly I linoed in a game once and the opposition got a penalty, from where I stood I could clearly see the ball on the spot out the corner of my eye and could EASILY see when it was kicked in relation to the Keepers position. In this Forsters case its blatantly obvious the keeper is off the line and I dont buy the whole "It sounds easy – in practice it isn’t." rubbish.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm sorry but thats complete bollocks Mr Football League man, for starters linesman should have good eyesight. Secondly I linoed in a game once and the opposition got a penalty, from where I stood I could clearly see the ball on the spot out the corner of my eye and could EASILY see when it was kicked in relation to the Keepers position. In this Forsters case its blatantly obvious the keeper is off the line and I dont buy the whole "It sounds easy – in practice it isn’t." rubbish.

You know it's bollocks, I know it's bollocks but so does the man from the FL but he's not going to slag of an official to fans is he. The fact he has said he is notifying the coach shows he admits there was a problem that needs to be addressed. Whether it is is another question????

You know it's bollocks, I know it's bollocks but so does the man from the FL but he's not going to slag of an official to fans is he. The fact he has said he is notifying the coach shows he admits there was a problem that needs to be addressed. Whether it is is another question????

Patricia brown is a man :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here