Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the Forster penalty should have been retaken

ozspike

Sep 5, 2003
Perth Australia
Shame there is not a photo of the Stockport pen to see if Smith was off his line

picture.php

just before there pen smith feet on the line.

picture.php

as the kick is taken, looks like smith hasn't moved

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Years ago I heard a referee talk about this.

His method to ensure fair play was for the linesman to watch the goalkeeper, but himself to look at the edge of the box and simply listen for the kick of the ball.

Easy isn't it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Years ago I heard a referee talk about this.

His method to ensure fair play was for the linesman to watch the goalkeeper, but himself to look at the edge of the box and simply listen for the kick of the ball.

Easy isn't it.

That is what is supposed to happen but more and more goalkeepers are stepping forward thus narrowing the angle drastically

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was chatting to a County league linesman the other day after a similar incident (where the penalty was disallowed). He said he would allow the keeper a step forward - but three was taking the piss.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That is what is supposed to happen but more and more goalkeepers are stepping forward thus narrowing the angle drastically

But that is the point of having the linesman check the position of the keeper. If they are capable of making judgements for offside when they are running down the pitch and a ball is kicked out from defence then why the f*** can't they see a keeper of his line when they are stationary looking along the line at a penalty.

I was chatting to a County league linesman the other day after a similar incident (where the penalty was disallowed). He said he would allow the keeper a step forward - but three was taking the piss.

That linesman should not be allowed to officiate then. It's not upto him to make up rules, that's Fifa's job. What would happen if he decided to allow defenders to be only 9 yrds back at a free kick or let a penalty taker kick from a yard in front of the penalty spot.

Unfortunately, it's that sort of officiating that is a discredit to the game and what infuriates fans more than anything else.

D

Deleted User X18H

I have actually emailed a similar picture to the FL(I hope Oz Mike doesn't) I have a contact there I am awaiting their response / excuse.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
That linesman should not be allowed to officiate then. It's not upto him to make up rules, that's Fifa's job. What would happen if he decided to allow defenders to be only 9 yrds back at a free kick or let a penalty taker kick from a yard in front of the penalty spot.

Unfortunately, it's that sort of officiating that is a discredit to the game and what infuriates fans more than anything else.

And it is officials reffing to the letter of the law that discredits the law.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I have actually emailed a similar picture to the FL(I hope Oz Mike doesn't) I have a contact there I am awaiting their response / excuse.

So what do you expect them to do or say?

"Hey fellas, we've got some idiot here sending in pictures of a goalkeeper moving off his line before a penalty was taken. f*** knows what he wants us to do-send him the usual reply".

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Nothing can be done to change the result but would like to see the FA fine/suspend the officials for such a blatent mistake.

On the strength of an email from our very own attention seeker? Unlikely.

Mar 3, 2004
Hove
agreed, and very unfortunate for us that despite hitting the inside of the post it bounced out accross the line rather than go in.

Meaning the ball went behind him when he touched it, therefore it would have gone in had he been on his feckin line. Can we send that picture to the league...I want the game relayed please....thanks!:hammer:

Mar 3, 2004
Hove
About time we had video technology and a ref in the stand to give a red/green light on stuff like that. IMHO I think it would add to the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here