Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is no-one having a go at that idiot scholes

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Set of Tracksuits said:
fair point, but of the limited options we have for the left hand side of midfield (hargreaves, cole?, god forbid heskey) i still reckon this is the best.

we were poor all over the park in the macedonia game, not just on the left hand side.

I do think that the answer to these problems is to play 3 centre backs (granted at the moment we are struggling to muster 2) but once Rio is back, him, Sol and Terry would do just fine. Push Cole forward as a wingback, with either chuckle brother 1 or Hargreaves on the right and then a 3 man midfield.

However Sven has always stuck rigidly to 4-4-2, so not likely to happen.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Uncle Buck said:
I do think that the answer to these problems is to play 3 centre backs (granted at the moment we are struggling to muster 2) but once Rio is back, him, Sol and Terry would do just fine. Push Cole forward as a wingback, with either chuckle brother 1 or Hargreaves on the right and then a 3 man midfield.

However Sven has always stuck rigidly to 4-4-2, so not likely to happen.

I've always thought the same myself actually, although I'd have Bridge over Cole at left wing-back and possibly Dyer at right-wing back. Lampard, Gerrard and Beckham could then make up the midfield three. Ferdinand has never been a natural man-to-man marker, so playing as more of a sweeper would suit him too.

But, like you say, Eriksson has his preferred formation which he tries to shoe-horn players into, even if they don't like it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Right then.

All those who were having a pop at Scholes yesterday in my mind have absolutely no idea about football. He played an excellent game against the French and deserves NONE of the criticism he has recieved from the anti-Scholes posters on NSC. It seems everybody was more than ready to take a dig at him no matter what he did against the French. Whilst Beckham and Gerrard were having questionable games, Scholes and to a lesser extent Lampard were keeping Zidane, Veira and Pires quiet whilst trying to keep the ball and spread the play at every opportunity. Scholes passed well and made space for himself to take the ball of players who were being closed down.

I am not saying he played the best game of his life but I was astounded when I saw this thread and the replies to it. If there is gonna be this thread then where are the threads entitled, 'Why is nobody having a pop at that idiot Gerrard who had a very quiet game, drifted in and out of play and attempted a suicidal backpass when he should have creamed the ball into row Z' and 'Why is nobody having a pop at that idiot Beckham who didn't exactly lead by example against the French by showing litle willingness to put himself about and put a penalty in exactly the same place as he had done 100's of times against Barthez'.

Look beyond your Man Utd hating views before you pipe up about Scholes next time and try to give an view based on quality of performance and not what club he plays for.

Errrrr...

You bunch of JESTERS

:jester:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Right then.

All those who were having a pop at Scholes yesterday in my mind have absolutely no idea about football. He played an excellent game against the French and deserves NONE of the criticism he has recieved from the anti-Scholes posters on NSC. It seems everybody was more than ready to take a dig at him no matter what he did against the French. Whilst Beckham and Gerrard were having questionable games, Scholes and to a lesser extent Lampard were keeping Zidane, Veira and Pires quiet whilst trying to keep the ball and spread the play at every opportunity. Scholes passed well and made space for himself to take the ball of players who were being closed down.

I am not saying he played the best game of his life but I was astounded when I saw this thread and the replies to it. If there is gonna be this thread then where are the threads entitled, 'Why is nobody having a pop at that idiot Gerrard who had a very quiet game, drifted in and out of play and attempted a suicidal backpass when he should have creamed the ball into row Z' and 'Why is nobody having a pop at that idiot Beckham who didn't exactly lead by example against the French by showing litle willingness to put himself about and put a penalty in exactly the same place as he had done 100's of times against Barthez'.

Look beyond your Man Utd hating views before you pipe up about Scholes next time and try to give an view based on quality of performance and not what club he plays for.

Errrrr...

You bunch of JESTERS

:jester:

I do not believe this, but I agree with everything you just said. Certainly watching him on Sunday he looked better than the rest of the midfield and at least went looking for space. The guy cannot tackle as a rule, but he won his fair share on Sunday. I know football is about opinions, but some people on here, when they get outside the Albion do not know what they are on about.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
I do not believe this, but I agree with everything you just said. Certainly watching him on Sunday he looked better than the rest of the midfield and at least went looking for space. The guy cannot tackle as a rule, but he won his fair share on Sunday. I know football is about opinions, but some people on here, when they get outside the Albion do not know what they are on about.

So you could say that they have got a LOT to learn.

:clap2:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i honestly cant believe this thread is STILL being reponded to in anti scholes backing. he is possibly our most talented player at the moment and did nothing wrong against france. its just a knee-jerk reaction by everyone to say he should go. just wait untill hargreaves comes in for him and lacks the goalscoring threat that everyone says scholes has. we dont need him to score because we have 5 other people capable of doing it.

im very upset that scholes may not be playing against the swiss as he and owen would have destroyed them in my opinion

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
i honestly cant believe this thread is STILL being reponded to in anti scholes backing. he is possibly our most talented player at the moment and did nothing wrong against france. its just a knee-jerk reaction by everyone to say he should go. just wait untill hargreaves comes in for him and lacks the goalscoring threat that everyone says scholes has. we dont need him to score because we have 5 other people capable of doing it.

im very upset that scholes may not be playing against the swiss as he and owen would have destroyed them in my opinion

Nope, what will happen is that we'll put a couple past the Swiss and everyone will pipe up saying that we don't need Scholes ignoring the fact that we had just beaten the Swiss and not France.

That's what is gonna happen.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Nope, what will happen is that we'll put a couple past the Swiss and everyone will pipe up saying that we don't need Scholes ignoring the fact that we had just beaten the Swiss and not France.

That's what is gonna happen.

thats true actually....the sneaky anti scholes brigade :angry:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Its where the thead originated from that is the worrying point in my view.

Someone who i thought was a NSC legend, clearly has no idea.
:nono:

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
finally people talking sense!!!

:clap: :clap: Scholes is the most creative player we've got! He can pick apart ANY top level defence as proven on Sunday. He will be missed (by me) on Thursday if he doesn't start.

Scholes - I can remember loads he did right (and nothing wrong!)
Beckham - was non-existant (excluding the free kick and when he stepped up to take the game winning pen...) yet no threads aimed at him...??? bizarre.

thankyouplease

May 29, 2004
Lancing
Vinyl Richie said:
finally people talking sense!!!

:clap: :clap: Scholes is the most creative player we've got! He can pick apart ANY top level defence as proven on Sunday. He will be missed (by me) on Thursday if he doesn't start.

Scholes - I can remember loads he did right (and nothing wrong!)
Beckham - was non-existant (excluding the free kick and when he stepped up to take the game winning pen...) yet no threads aimed at him...??? bizarre.

thankyouplease
Yes I agree, the Scholes that we all know and love is the one that performs week in week out for Man Utd. The problem is that SGE won't allow him to play to his strengths. Yes Scholes did OK against France, but there wasn't the running from box to box that we know he is capable of. Scholes shouldn't be required to play a defensive style game, he can't tackle for 1 - hence the booking. Scholes' loss of England form is due to the fact (1) Lampard is flying high and SGE won't leave either of them out of the starting 11 and (2) dur to Lampard playing Scholes is pushed out onto the left of Midfield. We all hope Scholes is fit to terrorize the Swiss defence on Thursday and SGE has to play him to his strength - behind the front 2!

"He scores goals, Paul Scholes, he scores goals"

There, I'm not anti Scholes. :ohmy:

All this crap we hate him cos he plays for Man U is crap, he wears an England shirt on the pitch.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
scholes means goals!!!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Vinyl Richie said:
scholes means goals!!!

And is that why he hasn't scored for England for three years?

If Sven plays him again it must be in his central spot behind the front two and NOT wide on the left. He left Cole exposed too often on Sunday by coming inside

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
And is that why he hasn't scored for England for three years?

If Sven plays him again it must be in his central spot behind the front two and NOT wide on the left. He left Cole exposed too often on Sunday by coming inside

However everyone that has attempted to play on that left side has generally left Cole exposed. Reality is if you move Scholes inside then you either put Lampard on the left or the bench as Sven will not drop Scholes.

One Solution maybe to go back to the vague diamond idea, but more Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard accross the middle and Scholes in front of them.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I don't see why we whould really need cover all the time in front of Cole. I think he is a quality defender and if he does go forward as he does so well then it should be the defence who compensate for that. I like the idea of three across the middle and Scholes in front because it might also mean that Beckham is forced to get involved instead of hiding out on the wing.

May 29, 2004
Lancing
Not the Diamond, how about 3 at the back?

Terry, Campbell and King
Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, A. Cole
Scholes
Owen and Rooney

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
appologies 'scholes means goals' is an old jokey chant. like 'hot-dogs, sausage rolls, come on brighton score a goal'.

Obviously he hasn't scored for england for a while but I do think his game has changed a bit since then. He's less of the box to box player that he was (and now Lampard is) and more of a sprayer/get it down and move it/creative player. Looking back I think Sven started the strongest line up possible and it worked (more or less).

I'm not convinced with leaving lil' Micheal Owen as a loan striker as it didn't really suit him on Sund. We needed Shearer up there to hold it up for us when under the kosh. :(

(god I'm repeating myself in 3 different threads :D )

right I'm quitting this rant now. It's been a pleasure :wave:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Drop scholes anyone.....I think not.
Our best player with Rooney last night.

Keep The Faith as I always said.

Stumpy Tim

Typical football fan thread this. We lose a game (however unlucky it was) so someone has to be blamed. If the last two minutes hadn't happened in the France game this thread wouldn't have existed.

After the France game half the people thought we were going out in the group stages. After beating Croatia a lot of those same people think we'll win it. Classic football fan syndrome

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here