Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is no-one having a go at that idiot scholes

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did he actually go forward once.

Last night, we saw that when France attacked we had 9 men behind the ball and when we did eventually hoof it up front, Silvestre ( who should not have been on the pitch) won everything in the air.

What was all this bollocks about " they are all tired"....they havnt had a decent game for the last month!!!!!! They should be fit as daisies. Zidane is in his late 50's and he runs around like a spring chicken.

I know we must not read anything into the game ( apart from the thought that the chances of winning this tournement is about as remote as a Palace fan not taking the 5-0 banner to an England game) We must now win at least one of the games we have left against a team we drew with in Euro 96 and a team of cheats who fall down more times than Leon Knight! I fear for our progress.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Good to see you in a positive mood, Dave. :)

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Scholes should be dropped for the next game and broght on as a sub if needed. He is badly out of form and Lampard is a much better bet for that position.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Papa Lazarou said:
Good to see you in a positive mood, Dave. :)

DTG going down fast in my estimation today.
You learn a lot about people after a game like last nights, and i havent heard a positive word from half the people on this site which is very worrying.

Overall, I thought our performance was worth a positive appraisal. We virtually silenced their front two, we caused them trouble - what more could we have asked for against one of the best sides in the world. But Scholes ... I spent the whole game screaming at him. How many passes went astray, how many times did he try to skip past players only to be robbed. Our weakest link last night - unquestionably.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Our midfield balance was affected when Scholes went off. I thought he had a good first half.

He's better than Owen "headless chicken" Hargreaves.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Marshy said:
DTG going down fast in my estimation today.
You learn a lot about people after a game like last nights, and i havent heard a positive word from half the people on this site which is very worrying.

To be fair-there wasn't an awaful lot about England's performance last night that encourages positive reactions. However, it's only England...so long as The Albion maintain our position in Division 1, er-sorry The Championship next season then I'll be happy.

England? Want them to win but no longer get unhappy when we lose.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I expect to be let down by England, just not this early in a tournament. I did enjoy the 1st 90 mins immensely though :(

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Why would Lampard be better served playing left hand side? He was playing central midfield, scored a great goal and was amongst our best players yesterday!

I actually think that based on yesterdays perfomance we can get to the semi finals at the very least.....people seem to forget that France are one of the very best teams in the world!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Scholes was like a duck out of water on the left .... I really think his best days are now behind him (though would be delighted if he proved me wrong). Would much rather have Hargreaves or Butt in midfield instead of him. Or even drop Rooney back to play the Scholes role of old behind the front two ....

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Bwian said:

England? Want them to win but no longer get unhappy when we lose.

u must have been last night. i cant understand how someone who is english could not even be effected by our national team being cruelly beaten like that. i was so pissed off it was untrue.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I think the criticism Scholes is getting is unjustified. To me, he was one of our best players and was running things in midfield. I also think it was a mistake to take him off.

Yes, he played deeply but for God's sake so did the whole of the England team. In fact, penalty miss and last minute mistakes aside, that is my biggest criticism: why were we so defensive?

But to blame Scholes is missing the point.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
How can we criticise Scholes after last night? There are so many who deserve it first:

Rooney for not giving Vassell the open goal opportunity
Beckham for taking every penalty exactly the same way - including this one against his former teammate!!!!! Even Silvestre stated that's how it was saved!
Eriksson for bringing on the appalling Emile Heskey
Heskey for giving away the free kick
Gerrard for that backpass
Or maybe the ref for not sending off Silvestre?

To apportion any blame to Scholes is a joke to me.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
saafend_seagull said:
should go with dyer down the left- need some pace

You do not know much about football then. Dyer is right footed and never performs for England.

Having finally got some sleep as I did not get back from Lisbon until 5am this morning, here is my thoughts. What Gerrard is doing is beyond me, but the blame stops at Sven. Taking Owen off was the right decision he was awful last night, but why take Rooney off? Everytime he got the ball the French shate themselves. At 1-0 we were not in a lot of trouble but once Emily came on, it essentially gave the French a spare player. Scholes hadan OK game, he was not in his natural position and had to battle. It was the correct decision to take him off, he had been booked and gone in with at least one bad challenge. However Butt should have come on to protect the back 4 and if that had happened Emily would not have attempted to tackle back and so givinig away the free kick that led to the goal.

Any mention of the squimish the ensued after the equaliser?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Was Gerrard as bad live as he seemed on TV ? I think he is a fab player who had a poor game? Would love to see him put it right against Switzerland!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Uncle Buck

There didn't get any mention of anything on the fisticuffs side after the game apart from Des looking suicidal( but very handsome), vennables trying not to say it as it was, Palace reject from Crawley trying to put a brave face on and the smashed nose one looking bermused. then we had 10 of the same effing adverts and over to Baddiel and Skinner.

Did it kick off then?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
dave the gaffer said:
Uncle Buck

There didn't get any mention of anything on the fisticuffs side after the game apart from Des looking suicidal( but very handsome), vennables trying not to say it as it was, Palace reject from Crawley trying to put a brave face on and the smashed nose one looking bermused. then we had 10 of the same effing adverts and over to Baddiel and Skinner.

Did it kick off then?

as I said on another post there was a brief squirmish in the French end when they equalised. This was due to the fact some of their official allocation ended up on the black market and so it was mixed. However the police just moved in between the 2 sets of fans and it calmed down. No trouble outside, however if there had been I would have walked through it as I was sulking.

May 29, 2004
Lancing
Rusthall Seagull said:
Was Gerrard as bad live as he seemed on TV ? I think he is a fab player who had a poor game? Would love to see him put it right against Switzerland!
Gerrard had by far his worst game of the season & it would seem the stories that he has handed in a transfer request may be true. He wasn't commited in the tackle, hardly drove forward, had a glorious chance to let rip with a 30 yard belter and passed it. Not just Scholes that was poor!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here