Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is Dunk not playing? (merged)

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
He's hardly going to announce the world that his valuable asset is a cocky little fucker with no respect for his manager! Potential January prices slashed by a million overnight...

Another case of "my little dose of anger management"? Can't see Dunk ending up at Orient like Cox, though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Heard a rumour this morning from someone connected to the club that Poyet had a massive go at Dunk after the WHU game. Apparently Dunk just laughed at him and Poyet responded with a tirade that included the words ''You are out in january' and also that he would not be playing again.
Really? I've no reason to think you're making stuff up. And you don't doubt the source.
But a) Dunk is young and has showed great potential (no one doubts this)
and b) Poyet has been around a while, he's not a f***ing idiot
and I think that would be pretty idiotic to start shouting 'you're out' to a young player with potential.

So about your source:
How much does this person really know? Would they be passing on a 3rd hand rumour, which has been embellished a couple of times, or are they the sort of person that would have witnessed the stand off first hand?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Do you know how to interact with people without sounding like a complete tool? It is not my duty to subscribe to your point of view if I so wish not to. Get back in your cave and take your toys with you.

Says the person that's come on to a thread to 'facepalm' the OP. Oh the irony. I never asked you to subscribe to my view, but if you don't like what's within the thread then don't comment. Anyway is John Terry a racist?!

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
He's hardly going to announce the world that his valuable asset is a cocky little fucker with no respect for his manager! Potential January prices slashed by a million overnight...

Point taken but what is being said is that Gus lost his rag, we all know Poyet has a certain air of arrogance I just find it hard to beleive that anyone let alone Gus would have a blazing row then say Publicly "its my fault"
I agree he wouldnt say Dunk is a spoilt brat but think he would have worded it different from" its my fault"

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Do you know how to interact with people without sounding like a complete tool? It is not my duty to subscribe to your point of view if I so wish not to. Get back in your cave and take your toys with you.

Says the person that's come on to a thread to 'facepalm' the OP. Oh the irony. I never asked you to subscribe to my view, but if you don't like what's within the thread then don't comment. Anyway is John Terry a racist?! :bigwave:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Says the person that's come on to a thread to 'facepalm' the OP. Oh the irony. I never asked you to subscribe to my view, but if you don't like what's within the thread then don't comment. Anyway is John Terry a racist?! :bigwave:

You really are a very strange individual. I believe NSC has found the evolutionary missing link.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Another case of "my little dose of anger management"? Can't see Dunk ending up at Orient like Cox, though.
Weird how you remember a throw away comment by our former manager about a former player made several years ago?

This is why I think the rumour is at the very least an exaggeration though. Dunk really doesn't come across in that way at all.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You see, the one thing that makes me doubt that is that he was "rested" for two games on the trot. One I could understand, but two? I know he's young - maybe he was given half term off?

Rested for the first game, left out in the second because the back four in that first game kept a clean sheet, with Calderon having his best defensive performance (according to gus), why change it back to the defence that had conceded in the game before that?

This rumour started on the day of the birmingham match (though his omission was already leaked as a probability). I imagine the rumour is still going round and round with lots of people claiming reliable sources (and that's really questionable, some of my friends consider me a reasonable source because I read nsc, which shows how inaccurate that term can be). I still say, as I did when this first came up, I find it entirely possible gus felt dunk was not playing as well as he has previously, entirely possible (though I don't think very likely) that he blames Dunk for an unnecessary pass to Bridcutt, and that dunk may feel hard done by, but I find the idea that he felt it was such a massive error (at most it was an obvious pass, but wasn't a bad pass, it was bad control from bridcutt) that it needed such a humiliating approach to highlight it to Dunk and that he and dunk would get into a slanging match that ended with Poyet proclaiming Dunk would never play for us again to be quite ridiculous. I credit Gus with better man management than that, better coaching techniques. I'm inclined to believe it was simply a rest, albeit maybe one that was inspired by a run of games in which dunk hasn't performed as well as previous.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
In this day and age, I would imagine that if there were any truth in this rumour, we would have heard about it from Dunk's agent (unless of course he has not got one, which I doubt). After all, this did happen over a week ago, supposedly.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Weird how you remember a throw away comment by our former manager about a former player made several years ago?

This is why I think the rumour is at the very least an exaggeration though. Dunk really doesn't come across in that way at all.

I think this was more about Poyet throwing a wobbly than any real retorts by Dunk. Dunk laughing pissed him off allegedly and it was not because of a general bad attitude from the boy.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Rested for the first game, left out in the second because the back four in that first game kept a clean sheet, with Calderon having his best defensive performance (according to gus), why change it back to the defence that had conceded in the game before that?

This rumour started on the day of the birmingham match (though his omission was already leaked as a probability). I imagine the rumour is still going round and round with lots of people claiming reliable sources (and that's really questionable, some of my friends consider me a reasonable source because I read nsc, which shows how inaccurate that term can be). I still say, as I did when this first came up, I find it entirely possible gus felt dunk was not playing as well as he has previously, entirely possible (though I don't think very likely) that he blames Dunk for an unnecessary pass to Bridcutt, and that dunk may feel hard done by, but I find the idea that he felt it was such a massive error (at most it was an obvious pass, but wasn't a bad pass, it was bad control from bridcutt) that it needed such a humiliating approach to highlight it to Dunk and that he and dunk would get into a slanging match that ended with Poyet proclaiming Dunk would never play for us again to be quite ridiculous. I credit Gus with better man management than that, better coaching techniques. I'm inclined to believe it was simply a rest, albeit maybe one that was inspired by a run of games in which dunk hasn't performed as well as previous.

Sounds more feasible assuming there is an inch of truth in the latest NSC rumour.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Blimey.......Poyet throwing a wobbly...? Who would have believed it....? He seems such a nice calm man on the touchline.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Just to add another view. I was talking to a former player (not Albion) after the palace game i think who is now a scout. Very interesting chat and nothing revelatory but i did obviously ask what he thought of our team (he has seen us more than once so not just the horror of the palace game). He said of Dunk that you could not expect someone of his age, as good as he is, to play a full season at this level. Centre half is the hardest position to play when young because of the physical demands of the position etc So perhaps it is not surprising that he needs to rested now?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
the OP is nearly right,,i went to brum on sat and heard what people were saying,
as i said in another dunk thread cant remember which one,poyet isnt in the wrong,that is fact.
i was told on friday that dunk hasnt been rested(source family member of player),im certainly not going to say whats gone on.
As usual on here,the bullshite from fans that give people with inside knowledge ,is why perhaps,more stuff isnt leaked.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Very simple really - Gus felty he needed a rest and it was not sensible to expose him to 90 minutes against man mountain Zigic (who I know was only sub in the event)

We kept Brum out for ninety minutes and stopped any of their 12 shots hitting the target. Job done.

When you have the shirt - you keep it. Naturally, you play the same back five for the next match.

No drama.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here