Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is Dunk not playing? (merged)

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Gus has said "It's not always as simple as people think and Dunky needed a rest mentally more than physically. Even though the team was not playing right, this was a chance to take his mind off football a little bit."

"Perhaps he now realises how lucky he is because he has been a part of a great start to the season and because of that he has made the national team, which is great for him. Hopefully that will bring freshness back to his game."

I interpret this as Gus thinking Lewis has become not cocky, but sort of too casual about playing in the first team.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would rather we raised a few million for Dunk, and got El Abd in.

I thought Poyet said he was to blame for the West Ham goal, so can't see why he would have blamed Dunk, but something has to have happened since he isn't even on the bench.

Playing deep defensively gives a very lot of responsibility for defenders. Too much ? Too much for Calderon in the centre?

I don't think Dunk has done anything wrong. I would be inclined to blame Greer.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
no im not but the other thread started today has been blown up a little too much,but thats hearsay for you.

In other words you don't have a f***ing clue but you are going to pretend that you do... Back OT, why doesn't someone ask him on twitter :lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Playing deep defensively gives a very lot of responsibility for defenders. Too much ? Too much for Calderon in the centre?

I don't think Dunk has done anything wrong. I would be inclined to blame Greer.

I do think that Greer leaves a lot of the attacking of the ball to Dunk and drops off. Its obviously how they have sorted it out with Gus but it does put a lot of pressure on the boy if he gets it wrong. Greer is left to sweep in a manner and then clean things up. I`ve been a little disappointed with Greer`s defending some times this season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I do think that Greer leaves a lot of the attacking of the ball to Dunk and drops off. Its obviously how they have sorted it out with Gus but it does put a lot of pressure on the boy if he gets it wrong. Greer is left to sweep in a manner and then clean things up. I`ve been a little disappointed with Greer`s defending some times this season.

I agree. Greer is the Lawrenson and Dunk is the Steve Foster. Greer has got a bigger role to play. Alas, Greer is not as good as Lawrenson was at defending. He is the right type of player though and nobody else is who is currently fit. He can put a better ball out of defence though.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
In other words you don't have a f***ing clue but you are going to pretend that you do... Back OT, why doesn't someone ask him on twitter :lolol:

yer ok then,if you say so,i dont have a clue,but what if? i told by a member of his family,twat.,would you take that as gospel,you know jack shit
Does it offend you cos someone knows something you dont,tough

Last edited:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Rested for the first game, left out in the second because the back four in that first game kept a clean sheet, with Calderon having his best defensive performance (according to gus), why change it back to the defence that had conceded in the game before that?

This rumour started on the day of the birmingham match (though his omission was already leaked as a probability). I imagine the rumour is still going round and round with lots of people claiming reliable sources (and that's really questionable, some of my friends consider me a reasonable source because I read nsc, which shows how inaccurate that term can be). I still say, as I did when this first came up, I find it entirely possible gus felt dunk was not playing as well as he has previously, entirely possible (though I don't think very likely) that he blames Dunk for an unnecessary pass to Bridcutt, and that dunk may feel hard done by, but I find the idea that he felt it was such a massive error (at most it was an obvious pass, but wasn't a bad pass, it was bad control from bridcutt) that it needed such a humiliating approach to highlight it to Dunk and that he and dunk would get into a slanging match that ended with Poyet proclaiming Dunk would never play for us again to be quite ridiculous. I credit Gus with better man management than that, better coaching techniques. I'm inclined to believe it was simply a rest, albeit maybe one that was inspired by a run of games in which dunk hasn't performed as well as previous.
It was a tight pass by Dunk as Bridcutt had Nolan up his backside and had no where to go, if I remember Gus's interview after the game he blamed himself for wanting to play the "Gus" way and wouldn't allow any blame on his players.
I do agree that if your good enough your old enough, just get Dunk back in the side, it's not a rocket science.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
yer ok then,if you say so,i dont have a clue,but what if? i told by a member of his family,twat.,would you take that as gospel,you know jack shit
Does it offend you cos someone knows something you dont,tough

It wouldn't offend me, but you obviously don't because all you are doing is giving really vague details. It seems to offend you more that I am questioning you...

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
No source, probably no substance, but there is a rumour that a deal has been done with a prem club already.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
It wouldn't offend me, but you obviously don't because all you are doing is giving really vague details. It seems to offend you more that I am questioning you...

mmm,ok then,carry on,i like being offended:facepalm:i also like knowing a lot more than youuuuuuuu:rock:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Gus has said "It's not always as simple as people think and Dunky needed a rest mentally more than physically. Even though the team was not playing right, this was a chance to take his mind off football a little bit."

"Perhaps he now realises how lucky he is because he has been a part of a great start to the season and because of that he has made the national team, which is great for him. Hopefully that will bring freshness back to his game."

I interpret this as Gus thinking Lewis has become not cocky, but sort of too casual about playing in the first team.

I have just listened to the interview with Gus on player, and I would interpret it as taking pressure away from Dunk a bit.

As Gus said he has gone from playing 3 games in 2 years, to 12 games in 2 months and being scouted by top sides and England under 21's. This is a lot of pressure in a short space of time and Gus has given him a break. Gus said something like "he trained very well on Monday as he had nothing to worry about as he knew he was not playing on Tuesday".

To me, that sounds like excellent management.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
anger management in sixth form,i recommend you take it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here