Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Auditor said:
1) saturdays goal looked offside
2)Dh should be sold and a striker got in
3) MM is doning a great job
4) where is Fred Binney now?
5)Did you rush the gates at the mansfield home game or run on at the Lincoln game?
6)did you see Peter Ward first goal at Hereford?

Happy I'm a fan now?

Still avoiding the CHEESE question, eh ??

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
As you will have read Lord Bracknell I am aware of Friends of the Albion as I am in the process of talking to Paul Rogers about my small firm joining.
However, I know at least a dozen local firms who have directors who are Albion season ticket holders or lifelong fans and have never been approached about their companies putting any money up. I intend raising this with Paul Rogers.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Easy 10 said:
If this is the crux of your question, then it's a pretty weak one. You are basically asking whether the club has gone through a proper tendering process and got all it can from the deal before selecting the best lawfirm to do the job over the Falmer application, yes ? (and then asking for the financial details of the contract in order to back up the answer).

Could you not just take it as a gimmee that DK and MP have "shopped around" and struck up the best deal possible for the club ? Why on earth would they do otherwise ? Lazyness ? Ignorance ? What would be the point of them going with a firm who are going to charge over the odds ? Are you looking for a pricelist comparison so you can beat them over the head with it, kind of a "should have gone to Radio Rentals" scenario ?

It boils down to trust. The men currently running the club have brought us back from the brink of Conference football, back to Brighton, overseen 3 promotions, brought in three top class managers despite our dire facilities, and have helped drive the club to mid-table in The Championship. This club is punching so far above its weight, its unbelievable.

And yet you STILL carry doubts and suspicions about the men in charge making the decisions which have got us here. Of course you have a right to ask questions about the club, but the nature of your questions have been nothing less than thinly veiled accusations of the club pissing money, our money, up the wall, when nothing could be further from the truth.

If you can't see why you are getting some justifiable stick on here for that, then I suggest you go back to whatever board you usually inhabit. Perhaps people are more receptive to your insinuations and innuedo's there.

Says it all easy.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
westdeneite said:
As you will have read Lord Bracknell I am aware of Friends of the Albion as I am in the process of talking to Paul Rogers about my small firm joining.
However, I know at least a dozen local firms who have directors who are Albion season ticket holders or lifelong fans and have never been approached about their companies putting any money up. I intend raising this with Paul Rogers.

Excellent - just the issue that one orginal question was raising - Are our marketing dept up to the job and getting money from all availiable sources. The letter to the fans is fine if all other methods have been exhausted - of that I'm not so sure

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Please engage your brain before blurting out this sort of nonsense! If they are SEASON TICKET HOLDERS or LIFELONG FANS (let's assume for one minute that they have bought a ticket, at least once in recent years, for example Cardiff) they will have received Dick Knight's letter inviting them to contribute either £100, £250, or talk to the board about more significant donations.

So where's the missed opportunity ?? :angry:

Still no answer to the CHEESE question either, eh ?? :jester:

Last edited:

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
westdeneite said:

Easy 10 what have you got to say about this then.....mmmmm......the club hacve done all they can eh.

"Could you not just take it as a gimmee that DK and MP have "shopped around" ". The answer to that is NO and i think the quote above answers why? You keep your blinkers on. Cos you'll be another one chewing the fat after the Archer has bolted.

I just don't want to see the club taken for a ride. You just think i should trust someone cos they saved the club once.(look at Sam Hamman). Yes, i am forever grateful but i'm not in their pocket and am not obsessed so much that because of their good work previously there is no need to question what they are doing.

You carry on not challenging and put 100% faith in people. But before you do please read the quote again.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You too 'Saint Lennard' ??

Did these so-called LIFELONG FANS or SEASON TICKET HOLDERS get a letter from Dick Knight, or not ?

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Titanic said:
You too 'Saint Lennard' ??

Did these so-called LIFELONG FANS or SEASON TICKET HOLDERS get a letter from Dick Knight, or not ?

Sorry i assumed these people that received the letter contributed personally but are wondering why the club hasn't approached their businesses so that they can donate in another way. Or won't the club accept money from people with businesses. I suppose some of these people may have businesses under the names of Archer (possibly an arrowsmith?), Focus (eg maybe an opticians) or Wickes ((a candlenmakers possibly) and suffered from NSC paranoia, panicked and refused to contact them.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The letter said that ANY offers could be made directly to the board and would be discussed - surely we are talking about INTELLIGENT PEOPLE who are capabale of RUNNING THEIR OWN BUSINESSES - can't they work out for themselves that this means them and their companies ??

Why are you being so deliberately picky or are you just plain STUPID ?? :angry: :angry:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Let me get this right you have friends who are LIFELONG FANS or SEASON TICKET HOLDERS and who own there own companies and yet it hasn't occured to them that their organisations could help the Albion out either financially or through some sort of service ...
:shootself

Sorry don't believe that .. if your a fan, you know the club needs every penny they can get, you've been sent a bloody letter, you don't need another.

Do you seriously expect the clubs legal team to get involved with the club, they are not going to compromise their position. Their interest can only be professional ..

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
Sorry Titanic and Deprtivo but you obviously don't understand human nature.
It wouldn't be fair to give names but a relative of mine is a director of a large local company. He is also a season ticket holder.
He has spoken about Friends of the Albion but said he has never got time to organise joining.
I mentioned to him that I had made approaches and he said "Right, I may as well also". and has.
You see opportunities are out there. They must be tapped.

westdeneite said:
I sometimes despair.

Only a week or so back, the Club were being heavily criticised on this board for having too many people in the Commercial Department. Now we hear that the Commercial Department isn't doing enough to bring in business sponsorship.

Does it ever cross people's minds that we don't see everything that goes on behind the scenes? Just how much flak are hardworking staff expected to take?

If you believe some of the people posting in this thread, you'd imagine that the job of the Commercial Department is to make a personal approach to every business in the community - tens of thousands of them, no doubt.

Week after week, for years and years, they've promoted the Friends of the Albion scheme in the match programme. It's on the website. It's mentioned regularly at meetings that the Directors have with movers and shakers in the area.

But all this passes over the heads of people like The Auditor and Saint Lennard - who seem to think that because they dreamt up the notion of business sponsorship when they woke up last Monday morning, the Albion must have been doing NOTHING.

This is complete cobblers. I hope, when you speak with Dodge, he tells you just how much work he and his team put in. He won't, of course. He's too nice a guy.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
westdeneite said:
Sorry Titanic and Deprtivo but you obviously don't understand human nature.
It wouldn't be fair to give names but a relative of mine is a director of a large local company. He is also a season ticket holder.
He has spoken about Friends of the Albion but said he has never got time to organise joining.
I mentioned to him that I had made approaches and he said "Right, I may as well also". and has.
You see opportunities are out there. They must be tapped.

er... right - so that's ONE EXAMPLE of an incompetent, and inert director - God forbid that they should get off their backsides and DO SOMETHING!

It's amazing they are still in business :nono:

westdeneite said:
a relative of mine is a director of a large local company. He is also a season ticket holder.
Please tell me it's not Forfars Bakery.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
Lets get this straight, I am not slagging off the Commercial Dept. I just think they need some assistance from all of us.
Like most of you I am a season ticket holder, buy more merchandise from shop than I should, buy programmes, and all manner of other things.
When the letter came out asking the fans for cash I thought long and hard.
I had previously thought about Friends of the Albion but lazy sod that I am did nothing about it. On receiving the letter it pushed me into action and I approached Paul Rogers.
Further thought made me think about other firms I do busy with and whose owners/directors have association with the Albion but have not bothered to get further involved. Take it from me running your own business means that the Albion doesn't always come first in your life.
Anyway, have decided to discuss with Paul Roger if there is anyway of getting these firms also motivated.
Nothing more, or less, than that.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Lord Bracknell said:
I sometimes despair.

Only a week or so back, the Club were being heavily criticised on this board for having too many people in the Commercial Department. Now we hear that the Commercial Department isn't doing enough to bring in business sponsorship.

Does it ever cross people's minds that we don't see everything that goes on behind the scenes? Just how much flak are hardworking staff expected to take?

If you believe some of the people posting in this thread, you'd imagine that the job of the Commercial Department is to make a personal approach to every business in the community - tens of thousands of them, no doubt.

Week after week, for years and years, they've promoted the Friends of the Albion scheme in the match programme. It's on the website. It's mentioned regularly at meetings that the Directors have with movers and shakers in the area.

But all this passes over the heads of people like The Auditor and Saint Lennard - who seem to think that because they dreamt up the notion of business sponsorship when they woke up last Monday morning, the Albion must have been doing NOTHING.

This is complete cobblers. I hope, when you speak with Dodge, he tells you just how much work he and his team put in. He won't, of course. He's too nice a guy.

Not enough staff.... too many staff. So its the numbers in the dept not the knowledge, experience and skills of those in it. Lucky then that Dodge has not got any of these then eh!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here