Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why does the impending relegation feel worse than 2 years ago?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Last time it was a disastrous start, but we were playing catch up, playing good stuff and battling for our lives. In the end we couldn't do it but we made a fight of it after looking dead and buried.

This season we've just bumbled along drawing and losing games, becoming more and more entrenched in the relegation mire while McGhee harps on about his imaginary dream striker he's been searching for for four years.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Three seasons ago we were needing snookers at Christmas, but this season we were 5 points off the relegation zone just before Christmas, and have been bobbins since.

Turning victories into defeats against Millwall and Crewe also has weighed heavily. If we had held onto those leads we would not be in the relegation zone.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
El Presidente said:
Three seasons ago we were needing snookers at Christmas, but this season we were 5 points off the relegation zone just before Christmas, and have been bobbins since.

Turning victories into defeats against Millwall and Crewe also has weighed heavily. If we had held onto those leads we would not be in the relegation zone.

We simply can't beat anyone around us, that what will send us down:down:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It feels worse because we've known exactly what the problem is - strikers can't score goals - since early in the season, and done nothing about it.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Silent Bob said:
Last time it was a disastrous start, but we were playing catch up, playing good stuff and battling for our lives. In the end we couldn't do it but we made a fight of it after looking dead and buried.

This season we've just bumbled along drawing and losing games, becoming more and more entrenched in the relegation mire while McGhee harps on about his imaginary dream striker he's been searching for for four years.

That's pretty much it, plus the (at least perceived) lack of the sort of team spirit that we've become used to.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
The bottom line is that I firmly believe could have been averted, and ultimately that is what really annoys me.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Harty said:
The bottom line is that I firmly believe could have been averted, and ultimately that is what really annoys me.

Totally agree with this, all that was needed was a striker. We have a better squad overall than last year imho but the strikers are weaker (mainly because of the loss of virgo).

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The Large One said:
Because there was an (unrealistic) expectation to stay up?

Because now we have been given Falmer, people (wrongly) assume everything should be rosy?

Because of a mini Civil War on here, implying not all fans are facing in the same direction?

Throw in serious debt and thats about it.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The most disappointing thing for me is that after avoiding relegation on the last day last season I thought that by bringing in a few more players we could finish somewhere around mid-table, proving that the first season after promotion is always the hardest and that we could build and improve. My hopes were raised at Derby on the first day of the season with one of the best passing displays I had ever seen from an Albion side, it was truly amazing and fantastic entertainment.

What has happened is that we have had to rely too much on young players who, despite their obvious talent, have just struggled to keep pace with playing week in week out. Added to the occasional injury the lack of depth in our squad has been exposed cruelly. I am optimistic that if we do go down we can bounce straight back, like last time, but it will be a tall order.

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
I think because of the amount of positives from the first half of the season. Getting the ok for Falmer, Palace away, Plymouth at home, we were playing very nice football and ok not winning but looking like we were about to give someone a right tonking. Winning the Coca Cola money etc. Then new years eve arrives, and the positives from the firslt ahlf of the season become the realities of the second half, can't score for toffee, LDC sticking their beaks in, our pretty play ultimately not getting us anywhere

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Last time we went down our end of season bounce back gave us hope of immediate promotion-which proved justified.

The team we now have IF relegated could be more Gillingham/Rotherham than Notts Forest(and they're bad enough).

It will be interesting to see who is retained and who leaves,but our dependence on home bred(youngsters)could increase.

No magic 20 goal a season striker on loan or otherwise,and mid table at best.

But we drew at Hereford,LDC will lose,and the prospects WILL get better.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
dougdeep said:
Because we are boring old whingers who are two years older.
:lolol: that did make me laugh

for me because argyle will be in the championship and we won't ! last time we had got a league above them apart from that i think it would be impossible to be anymore gutted than i was then!

it was three years ago anyway

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
saltash seagull said:
:lolol: that did make me laugh

for me because argyle will be in the championship and we won't ! last time we had got a league above them apart from that i think it would be impossible to be anymore gutted than i was then!

it was three years ago anyway

It was 3 years ago as El Pres spotted.
Doesn't time fly when you're having fun?
Two years ago some had written of the season because they couldn't see us staying in a play off place.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
1. We showed huge potential this season
2. Before we showed fight, no one has this time
3. We have a clown in charge
4. We have known our weakness all season, and it is still our weakness
5. Southend are going up :(

why does the impending relegation feel worse than 2 years ago?

I think because this time if we get relegated and with the team playing the way they are it could be a prolonged spell in League 1.

Getting the provisional YES the Falmer and what promises that could bring at least for me gave me a high and confidence we could stay up and build towards becoming a stable CCC club.

Also we've had a few seasons of playing ex-premership clubs and doing ok against them, while playing in the same Div as Gillingham and Ley O is not appealing.

:down:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Because we had the money that would have seen us safe, but chose to piss it up the wall instead.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
It does feel bad now, but i feel more positive about coming back up than i did before.

We are not going to lose our main striker (Zamora), we don't have other strikers that also left ( Kitson, Barrett)

We clearly have no money to strengthen so it is going to have to be the players we have plus youngsters that are going to get us back up.... at this time i can't see CKR, Robinson, Gatting or El Turi scoring enough goals in this division, so maybe a season in div 1 will help.

I'm not assuming we will come straight back up, however in my opinion with the resources we have we have more chance of being promoted from league 1 than we have of staying in this division next season if we stay up.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
blockhseagull said:
It does feel bad now, but i feel more positive about coming back up than i did before.

We are not going to lose our main striker (Zamora), we don't have other strikers that also left ( Kitson, Barrett)

We clearly have no money to strengthen so it is going to have to be the players we have plus youngsters that are going to get us back up.... at this time i can't see CKR, Robinson, Gatting or El Turi scoring enough goals in this division, so maybe a season in div 1 will help.

I'm not assuming we will come straight back up, however in my opinion with the resources we have we have more chance of being promoted from league 1 than we have of staying in this division next season if we stay up.

What have you seen in Robinson to make you think he is going to score in league 1? CKR I can see yes, but not Robinson.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
KinkyNormanBaker said:
What have you seen in Robinson to make you think he is going to score in league 1? CKR I can see yes, but not Robinson.

He has scored quite a few in the reserves. But, there again are the reserve teams League 1 level? I suspect it's more to do with confidence than anything.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I agree about confidence, but who would you say is behind a player having a poor confidence? - the reserve league is a fairly poor standard most of the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here