Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why does the impending relegation feel worse than 2 years ago?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Oh.And hope to be at Plymouth for our 1-0 win this weekend.See you there,boys and girls!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
withdeanwombat said:
Oh.And hope to be at Plymouth for our 1-0 win this weekend.See you there,boys and girls!

Anything has to be an improvement on our last visit there.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
My opinion from a relatively neutral point of view

The reason you are performing poorly is that you've lost the players that made a difference to you last season. Virgo was a bit of a find and he banged in goals that won you games. If you had scored one more goal in 4 of the 14 games you have drawn then you wouldn't be in this situation. Currie and Harding were also big players.

Also very important is unity as a team. Last season the team was more or less the same side that won promotion from League 1 and they played well together and were more than the sum of the parts. I've seen that this season with the hatters. We were everyones tips to go down (I must remeber to heckle Harty as he once said that we would "sink faster than the Belgrano) but we've stuck together and played well and not let bigger teams boss out of games.

But in some ways we are in the same position as you, we can't attract players. We've got some money to spend (we sold Sol Davies for 2.5 million in the summer) but unless we are willing to shell out 10k plus a week we aren't going to get them.

Why? Because we have no realisitc ambition of playing at a higer level. Ok we could get lucky and go up one season but when we only fit 8,000 in our stadium what chance have we of staying up. Even with TV money all the money we would have no money for new players and would probably end up considerably in debt.

Thats why Falmer (and for us a new stadium) is so important. It shows to prospective players that you have ambition and can really go places. Before that happens players are always going to choose against you when offered a straight choice.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
My opinion from a relatively neutral point of view

The reason you are performing poorly is that you've lost the players that made a difference to you last season. Virgo was a bit of a find and he banged in goals that won you games. If you had scored one more goal in 4 of the 14 games you have drawn then you wouldn't be in this situation. Currie and Harding were also big players.

Also very important is unity as a team. Last season the team was more or less the same side that won promotion from League 1 and they played well together and were more than the sum of the parts. I've seen that this season with the hatters. We were everyones tips to go down (I must remeber to heckle Harty as he once said that we would "sink faster than the Belgrano) but we've stuck together and played well and not let bigger teams boss out of games.

But in some ways we are in the same position as you, we can't attract players. We've got some money to spend (we sold Sol Davies for 2.5 million in the summer) but unless we are willing to shell out 10k plus a week we aren't going to get them.

Why? Because we have no realisitc ambition of playing at a higer level. Ok we could get lucky and go up one season but when we only fit 8,000 in our stadium what chance have we of staying up. Even with TV money all the money we would have no money for new players and would probably end up considerably in debt.

Thats why Falmer (and for us a new stadium) is so important. It shows to prospective players that you have ambition and can really go places. Before that happens players are always going to choose against you when offered a straight choice.
Absolutely spot on straightforward analysis. Unfortunately, I fear it is beyond the wit and comprehension of far too many.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Absolutely spot on straightforward analysis. Unfortunately, I fear it is beyond the wit and comprehension of far too many.

But any time anyone says it might be time for a change in the management you reckon that they that deserve a smack in the mouth? How very witty of you.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Dies Irae said:
Strange isnt it

Is it because we showed so much promise early doors and have now royally f***ed it up

To answer the original question... it doesn't.

last time we were here I thought we had a shot and we came damn close. I was really gutted when we went down.

This year it's been on the cards all the time.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree with most of that, however we have struggled to get loanees in....to be honest loanees dont give a f*** about falmer or a spanking new stadium. the care about getting paid, a fair crack at the whip ( ie playing) and they need to get on with the manager/players they are looking to join for a month.

We cannot get anyone in at all.......that is the sad fact ( only Mcshane and various keepers )

Now there must be some reason for that....not just Falmer because it will not affect them.

I personally believe its because Knight will not pay any propoertion of wages for these people...I may be wrong, I may be right...no-one but the players, MM and DK knows the answer ( oh and TLO also).

To a team that has had money for players transfers, ie £1.5mill for Virgo, £500k for harding and taken 5 players off the wages structure in loans out, should be capable of getting players in.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Our season seems to have gone downhill since the Falmer yes decision.

From top to bottom we seem to have lost the fight, but we must keep trying...while there is a chance we must rediscover that fighting spirit and if we are to go down...lets go down fighting and not with a whimper...we can still do it

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Virgo was placed upfront because he had the hardest shot out of anybody in the squad.

Shoot enough times and something will go in. Its called the law of averages. Unfortunately MM has seemed to coach this ability out of our shot shy forwards this year.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
But any time anyone says it might be time for a change in the management you reckon that they that deserve a smack in the mouth? How very witty of you.
I never said that.

I said the players may well feel like giving someone a smack in the mouth if they see a poster at Withdean saying 'McGhee Out'. Whether they do or not is another matter. Totally different, and you know it.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Dies Irae said:
To a team that has had money for players transfers, ie £1.5mill for Virgo, £500k for harding and taken 5 players off the wages structure in loans out, should be capable of getting players in.

And be able to "bid" 6 figures for Tom Brighton of course.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Virgo was placed upfront because he had the hardest shot out of anybody in the squad.

Shoot enough times and something will go in. Its called the law of averages. Unfortunately MM has seemed to coach this ability out of our shot shy forwards this year.

Hence why i questioned replacing Booker and White

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Whatever.

McGhee has failed to address the problem that has been evident since the start of the season, scoring goals. He sold our biggest goal threat and hasn't be able to bring anyone in, loan or otherwise.

This is why we are probably going to go down. It's his fault.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Whatever.

McGhee has failed to address the problem that has been evident since the start of the season, scoring goals. He sold our biggest goal threat and hasn't be able to bring anyone in, loan or otherwise.

Who Virgo ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whatever.

You can't really argue with that. We were outside the relegation places with Knight in the side. Now we're right in the poo.

I must admit, I didn't think Knight would be a great loss, but the fact is that we're not scoring goals, and that is one option fewer that McGhee has at his disposal to address the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here