Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why does the impending relegation feel worse than 2 years ago?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Maybe we should fork out for a sports psychologist like Coppell brought here. The strange looking bald one that was on the bench.
Mind you, even with him here we still got relegated.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
KinkyNormanBaker said:
What have you seen in Robinson to make you think he is going to score in league 1? CKR I can see yes, but not Robinson.

Firstly he IS a confidence player...feel at the moment when he has a chance he is trying to place it and make too sure of it...something a player with low confidence does.... as confidence grows he will have the faith to put his foot throught the ball and probably get more

Secondly his movement he far superior to any other striker we have...he troubles defences and is our onlt sriker who looks to get beyond the last defender.... if we could pass through midfield rather than always getting the ball out wide he would be more of a danger

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
blockhseagull said:
Firstly he IS a confidence player...feel at the moment when he has a chance he is trying to place it and make too sure of it...something a player with low confidence does.... as confidence grows he will have the faith to put his foot throught the ball and probably get more

Secondly his movement he far superior to any other striker we have...he troubles defences and is our onlt sriker who looks to get beyond the last defender.... if we could pass through midfield rather than always getting the ball out wide he would be more of a danger

Do you think the lack of confidence has something to do with the fact he was hardly given two games starting in a row?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
KinkyNormanBaker said:
Do you think the lack of confidence has something to do with the fact he was hardly given two games starting in a row?

Quite probably..... if the manager hasn't got faith in you...probably start questioning your ablity

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
KinkyNormanBaker said:

No. I think his lack of confidence comes from not wanting to take players on; eg Kiraly at the Palace home game. I wonder if he is scared of injuries?
Once he's done it and scored then he will be well away.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Tom Hark said:
It feels worse because we've known exactly what the problem is - strikers can't score goals - since early in the season, and done nothing about it.

Thats hit the nail RIGHT on the head.

For me its also about the FACT that we have spunked away more money than we had in that season on a striker who has never played and a kid (who admitedly will come good) who looks like he is a good few seasons off the pace yet.

OK the McGhee debate has gotten a personal over the past few weeks, but I just cant help thinking back to seasons of old when the team fought like dogs, the banter on the terraces was superb and everyone united behind the club because even in the darkest days you felt a glimmer of hope.

McGhee offers little hope, just a catalogue of tactical errors and tired excuses, I would be inclined to back him more if there was some sort of acceptable benchmark on which we could judge his performances, its the fact that he just lurches from one defeat to the next without any sort of mumble from the chairman is so frustrating that you just cant see an end to this spiral into oblivion.

Thing to remember as well, Crewe beat us, we will play 5 or 6 teams in League 1 (If we end up there) who are better than them, possibly without Carole and some of our other 'better' players if they decide that Div 1 football is not what they want. I wonder what McGhee's excuses will be then ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
All I see is the same people moaning. It is such a shame that we lost the last version of Nsc before July 2003 or threads could be bounced.
It's one of the reasons I make comments about the moaners. They moan about everything.
Still they like to complain about the happy clappers, acolytes, bum lickers so I suppose it's even stevens when it comes down to it.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
The thing that's pissed me off this season is that we've played some of the best football I've seen since the early 90's and we're still in the shit.

The problem as I see it is that we're relying far to heavily on young players who are finding their way in the Championship.

El-abd, McShane, Lynch, Frutos, Carole, Hammond, CKR, Robinson, etc.

Had we had the likes of Dodd and Oatway for the full season, I think we'd be mid-table.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Barnet Seagull said:
The thing that's pissed me off this season is that we've played some of the best football I've seen since the early 90's and we're still in the shit.

The problem as I see it is that we're relying far to heavily on young players who are finding their way in the Championship.

El-abd, McShane, Lynch, Frutos, Carole, Hammond, CKR, Robinson, etc.

Had we had the likes of Dodd and Oatway for the full season, I think we'd be mid-table.

I agree. Not enought people gave Charlie the credit he deserved and our midfield just hasn't been the same since Boxing Day.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Yorkie said:
All I see is the same people moaning. It is such a shame that we lost the last version of Nsc before July 2003 or threads could be bounced.
It's one of the reasons I make comments about the moaners. They moan about everything.
Still they like to complain about the happy clappers, acolytes, bum lickers so I suppose it's even stevens when it comes down to it.

No that is where you are wrong and fall into the LI propaganda trap of tarring ALL the McGhee outers with the same brush.

Down the years I have never really moaned about the team, players, or management, and defended players like Butters and Chippy to a lesser degree when the boot was well and truly being put in by the MAJORITY on here.

On Saturday I was with some of the most positive fans I know, they all want McGhee to go, I cannot see the MAJORITY (because thats what it seems to be now) of fans being moaners, do you really belive that ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rougvie said:
No that is where you are wrong and fall into the LI propaganda trap of tarring ALL the McGhee outers with the same brush.

Down the years I have never really moaned about the team, players, or management, and defended players like Butters and Chippy to a lesser degree when the boot was well and truly being put in by the MAJORITY on here.

On Saturday I was with some of the most positive fans I know, they all want McGhee to go, I cannot see the MAJORITY (because thats what it seems to be now) of fans being moaners, do you really belive that ?

The MAJORITY of fans don't post on Nsc.
I don't class you with the moaners Paul, but there are some here who are serial moaners.
I agree a lot of fans want McGhee to go. I have friends who want him out as well.
I'm still reserving judgement and cannot see what good it will do at this stage of the season. I cannot see Bob Booker getting the results we need to keep us up.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think it might be time for Booker and White to go.

After watching our performances of late i'm beginning to wonder what they do on the training pitch... i think that McGhee should be able to bring in his own team rather than that forced upon him by Knight.

A fresh pair of eyes and voice on the training pitch could work wonders IMHO

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yorkie said:
It was 3 years ago as El Pres spotted.

Ok, so it was three years ago...you knew what I meant, why make a point about it

FFS

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
It hurts to watch the team losing week after week and the fans who travel away have the greatest right to complain. The manager will always be the obvious target. But ultimately the post-Stanley/Archer problems have taken their toll. Nobody can perform miracles e.g. seasons 2001/2, 03/4 & 04/5 for ever.

Punching above our weight, no ground asset and sh1t facilities have caught up with us this season.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Dies Irae said:
Ok, so it was three years ago...you knew what I meant, why make a point about it

FFS

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Was that addressed to me?
Why not pick on El Pres then Dave?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
blockhseagull said:
I think it might be time for Booker and White to go.

After watching our performances of late i'm beginning to wonder what they do on the training pitch... i think that McGhee should be able to bring in his own team rather than that forced upon him by Knight.

A fresh pair of eyes and voice on the training pitch could work wonders IMHO

Sadly I think this too. Even our pre match warm up routines are the same every time and do not seem to match more ball skill oriented sessions by the opposition.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Gaffer said:
Sadly I think this too. Even our pre match warm up routines are the same every time and do not seem to match more ball skill oriented sessions by the opposition.

I also get the impression that Booker, White and the players are just a little too matey..... feel that a big kick up the backside is needed all round

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yorkie said:
Was that addressed to me?
Why not pick on El Pres then Dave?

I am not picking on anyone FFS MOYA ...I was wading through the thread and came accross your post

Message to EL PRES.....tsk tsk

happy now?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Football more than anything seems to indulge itself in a blame culture.We haven't made the play-offs,so it was McGhee(Booker,White,the tea lady,Knight,the stewards etc,etc.)

But the Albion's shirts tell all.Its true.

And so we are not good enough for this league at the moment.
But we do still have a chance of staying up,and we shouldn't lose sight of it.Yes,it would take a change of luck,tactics, strategy,will,whatever you might like to call it.

But the league tables at the end of the season tell a simple truth.Those that were good enough.Those that were not.

And of course all supporters have the right to express their views.Actually,I'm amazed at how many I agree with,seeing as I'm a know all and went to grammar school and all that.

But we glory in the good times,and are pained,hurt and resentful in the bad.

Go on the Albion archives...the recent thread re BZ's goal,and look up Willie Irvine's golden goal,the sweeping movement from defence to attack,and rejoice!

Days like that WILL return.

Up the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here