Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does everyone want Andy Murray to do so well?

terry1

Banned
Jun 19, 2011
Patcham
What is it with this country. We are cheering on the most anti English, Miserable, Haggis eating muppet. Why?????? He hates England, He has said so on many occasions whilst grumbling his way through interviews. Hes not a bad player, but he's not great either. All this BS about him being British? Do you see England football fans cheering Scotland in a World cup (when they qualify every 20 odd years) No? Because we are English they are Scotish. Why in Tennis is this different? Im no scotland hater, but im patriotic to my country. If someone slates the country i live then he dont deserve my support. Find it Hypocritical that soo many on here are supporting him. Rant Over :rant:

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
He's not anti English. We all know his words were taken out of context. He's British get behind him and stopping being miserable! Rant over.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
He's not miserable. He doesn't hate England and 'not a bad player' doesn't do him any sort of justice. Other than that...

I support him as he is an enthusiastic and snarling Brit who might just win a major honour. He's fun to watch and a joy to watch when at the top of his game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Get over yourself, he said a couple of times when Wimbledon was clashing with football that he hoped England lose, wow stop the presses, start rebuilding Hadrians Wall!

I actually quite like him because he is such a grumpy old Scot. Unlike 'always on message' Nadal and Federer, Murray is genuinely his miserable self and I don't mind that.

Am I bothered that Scots want England to lose? No not really, I'd actually love Scotland or Wales to qualify for major championships.

There is nothing patriotic about hating another country, just xenophobic tribal nonsense. The Scots clearly don't have enough in their lives to get over hating the English, but personally, they are a welcome neighbour, even if the feeling isn't mutual.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I don't.
Struggle to find any way of supporting him, I watch a fair bit of tennis, and he just strikes me as being a dull, and fairly miserable individual. The fact he's "British" means little more to me, he's Scottish, and if England had a half decent tennis player he'd be far from supported i would presume.

Tsonga, Roddick or Djokovic please.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
When has he clearly stated he hates England 'on many occasions'.

He has gone on record saying he doesn't hate England, on many occasions, after a load of mentally deficient pricks started bombarding him with hate mail after his comments when replying to some gentle ribbing from Henman and the reporter.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
What is it with this country. We are cheering on the most anti English, Miserable, Haggis eating muppet. Why?????? He hates England, He has said so on many occasions whilst grumbling his way through interviews. Hes not a bad player, but he's not great either. All this BS about him being British? Do you see England football fans cheering Scotland in a World cup (when they qualify every 20 odd years) No? Because we are English they are Scotish. Why in Tennis is this different? Im no scotland hater, but im patriotic to my country. If someone slates the country i live then he dont deserve my support. Find it Hypocritical that soo many on here are supporting him. Rant Over :rant:

You have made yourself look very silly, you clearly know very little about tennis.

Murray has never slated England as a country in any interviews. Yes he is proud to be Scottish and fair play to him, he has every right to be.

As a tennis nation, we have always played as Great Britain in Davis Cup, never as England or Scotland.

It really fucks me off when all these dickheads come out and slag him off every year. If you don't want to support him then fine that's your perogative. Just don't feel the need to bleat out the same old shit every year.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
This....unless he loses, then he's Scottish.
Rather like this particular gag (which got old about 6 months into his career), the whole debate is very tiresome.

terry1

Banned
Jun 19, 2011
Patcham
Who cares what Martin Samual says??? I dont think i'm in a minority when i say i cant stand Andy Murray. Dont know what part of that makes me look silly. Its an opinion that im more than entitled to

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I like him because he pisses people off and doesn't want to be part of Murray Mound or whatever vomit-enducing union jack-bearing morons are sitting on at the time.
He's an exciting tennis player. Cmon Andy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If there was anyone ENGLISH who was any good at tennis right now nobody in this country would give a toss about Murray.

Rubbish. Tennis isn't like football, Wimbledon & tennis fans have always got behind good players who put it on the line, regardless of nationality. Murray would be just as supported as he is now. Don't forget Henman was still on the scene when Murray broke through, and Murray still received massive support.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Who cares what Martin Samual says??? I dont think i'm in a minority when i say i cant stand Andy Murray. Dont know what part of that makes me look silly. Its an opinion that im more than entitled to

I am sure he would find you delicious if he met you Terry....

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think he'd win over a few more fans by getting a better haircut. I'd suggest a neat and tidy style like Marcos Painter's would suit him well. What does everyone else think? :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here