Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does Elphick never get flack from BHA fans?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The point is that he was coaxed through his first full season alongside Butters but since then hasnt looked the same player.

Then we need Butters as well as Oatway in the dressing room....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The point is that he was coaxed through his first full season alongside Butters but since then hasnt looked the same player.

Well, no, you said he wasn't experienced enough, and I think I've provided the neccessarry evidence to sugges that theory is a load of tosh.

I will agree he was coaxed through by Butters, who was magnificent alongside him. But he didn't hold Elphick's hand, did he. He talked him through the game and improved him massively, but he didn't clear things FOR him, and didn't make the tackles for him. Elphick did all that, and he's done all that without Butters next to him. I think it's too easy to say he's not the same without Butters... or maybe that says more about the management, who haven't put a partner next to him. Not long term, anyway. Virgo SHOULD be the long term partner for him, and when he does have a regular partner, he'll be back on top form. He is a good player in an ever revolving defence, perhaps he needs to learn to adjust his game to play with anyone, but you could look at any of the best centre halves in the world, they all have an established partner whom they play better with, why should Elphick be any different? Let's remember he's playing in league 1 aswell, that should limit your expectations to a certain degree. Be realistic, and realistically, Elphick is a very good league 1 central defender.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For the past 3 years I have been saying we need a defensive coach from when Jason Dodd was signed and never recovered from injury to play for us much, so yes I would agree Butters could do a good job.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
For the past 3 years I have been saying we need a defensive coach from when Jason Dodd was signed and never recovered from injury to play for us much, so yes I would agree Butters could do a good job.
Time when our defence has looked best - when Ian Chapman was here. I completely agree. But then, I wonder about the standard of our coaching in general as well. All through the summer Naylor was hinting that there would be changes, and yet none happened.

Be a shame if the fans start to turn on a very good defender because of the failings of the defence as a whole.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Elf and Bomber need a spell in the reserves , Virgs and Tunny will be a good pairing in central defence and Whingy and Jimmy Mac/Wrighty playing in their correct positions will make the back 4 a proper defensive unit.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Elf and Bomber need a spell in the reserves , Virgs and Tunny will be a good pairing in central defence and Whingy and Jimmy Mac/Wrighty playing in their correct positions will make the back 4 a proper defensive unit.

RIGHT. Mr Grimsby, thats it, I 've held back as long as I can you are obviously trying to wind me up with your attempt to break the world record for as many childish nicknames as possible in one post, even though you are a middle aged bloke :angry::angry::angry:
Kindly put a thread on the main board with each squad player with his comedy nickname alongside :jester:
Many thanks & by the way, I still have to hold me sides every time you call Craig Davies, Barney. :thumbsup:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Think of the CLASS defenders we've had over the years. Guys like Fozzie, Gary Stevens, Gatting, Chivers, Morgan, Butters. These guys went through whole seasons hardly putting a foot wrong, providing the consistency you need in a back 4. They were all at least Championship calibre players (in some cases top flight). The problem is, Elphick, Virgo, El Abd and Whing are all only moderate League 1 players. Yes, they have their good games, and they all head it away and put the tackles in. It's not their fault and they're by no means the worst defenders we've seen at the club, but they're not quite good enough to make the step up and we should look to replace them if we want to get out of this league at the right end. Of the ones that played yesterday, Tunnicliffe is the only one who still has the potential to be better than a League 1 player. Jimmy McNulty also has that potential if he can stay fit.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I swear 95% of all Brighton fans are f***ing clueless
"ooh lets blame someone new this week for the sake of it"
Elphick is a passionate, solid player who wears his heart on his sleeve and is one of the only players that actually gives a shit about the club.
Why don't we just keep blaming our shit players that f*** up week in week out and would leave our club in a heartbeat if they were offered a few hundred quid more.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I swear 95% of all Brighton fans are f***ing clueless
"ooh lets blame someone new this week for the sake of it"
Elphick is a passionate, solid player who wears his heart on his sleeve and is one of the only players that actually gives a shit about the club.
Why don't we just keep blaming our shit players that f*** up week in week out and would leave our club in a heartbeat if they were offered a few hundred quid more.

Passionate, solid, wears his heart on his sleeve. Tommy undoubtedly is all of these things (which is one of the reasons he tends to get little criticism for our obvious defensive frailties). But people are beginning to realise that if we want to go up, we need additional qualities like consistency and ability to concentrate for the full 90 minutes.

If Elphick plays a leading role in an effective defensive unit, we'll all be delighted for him. But if he (or anyone else) isn't cutting the mustard, he shouldn't be in the team - simple as that really.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Passionate, solid, wears his heart on his sleeve. Tommy undoubtedly is all of these things (which is one of the reasons he tends to get little criticism for our obvious defensive frailties). But people are beginning to realise that if we want to go up, we need additional qualities like consistency and ability to concentrate for the full 90 minutes.

If Elphick plays a leading role in an effective defensive unit, we'll all be delighted for him. But if he (or anyone else) isn't cutting the mustard, he shouldn't be in the team - simple as that really.

Do you believe he isn't cutting the mustard though!?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Do you believe he isn't cutting the mustard though!?

Our defence is not cutting the mustard - 16 goals shipped in 8 games and 3 home defeats in 4 tell the story. Elphick is one of several who make too many mistakes. He looked a great prospect two years ago and I would hoped that he would by now be delivering the sort of performances that would attract attention from clubs in higher divisions. But he hasn't kicked on, sadly. I think with the ambition the club has, this is now a real make or break year for him. The same applies to Cox and one or two others. Potential will no longer be good enough - results are what matters.

Kazim

Sep 3, 2009
Hove
Yes, Elphick was poor on Saturday but he was still better than Tunnicliffe.
How can you be that tall and not win any headers.
Throw ins don't make you a footballer.
Play Elphick and Virgo at the back!

Ah ok, my mistake, I thought that was you. :blush:

I think you're being extremely harsh and short sighted, to be honest, NMH. The tesco nonsense is just rambling for effect, and has nothing to do with anything. He's a good central defender, and that's why he doesn't get singled out for criticism often, though I do hear alot of discontent in the stands. "Walking on water again Elphick" people kept saying, which doesn't really make any sense, but there were sinister undertones in their tone of voice.

Okay, you can be forgiven for thinking some other person was me, since we do wear the same gear at every match.

Harsh, yes, I am being harsh. It's the counter to being soft and kind, because I believe a lot of people are that way about him - preferring to get on the case of the stouter skinhead in our defence, the one who gets his head in where boots are flying. He perhaps does better in midfield.
Or there's the ginger lad who makes points-winning stops in desperate but successful lunges in the area, who makes a proper nuisance to opposing attackers' intentions.

It's not possible to not be "harsh", as I don't reckon much of players needing a cuddle, an arm around them, or another excuse for weakness in a game. Why this whole thread about it? I don't rate him - I've seen decent defenders and he isn't one of them. He lopes along without stretching his legs, looks more like a dressage horse in the Grand National, than a steeplechaser.
I want to shout out at him "ffs RUN!", or "get stuck in and make a tackle".
Tackling is what defenders do. Forster isn't expected to go sliding in, risking stud-marks or grass burns, but Elphick is.

Sorry your not keen on my analogies NE, so I'll just have to stick with "imo he's a bit crap"

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
because he is a teflon coated Brighton boy who has met a manager who will drop anyone who is not pulling their weight.

and maybe just maybe thats why he is not captain

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
And yet after last week's WIN, people were lauding our defence for the 260 minute clean sheet and saying we've got the best combo. Jesus some people on here are schitzo.
I think you're making the mistake of thinking that because some people said it, that means everyone said it.

Keeping a clean sheet against Wycombe wasn't much of an achievement, since until the 70 minute mark they showed no interest whatsoever in actually attacking us. I didn't go to Carlisle so I can't really say too much about that, though I don't think they're a very good team either. People went over the top about our defensive performances without any real thought. IMO.

borowha

Dec 19, 2008
When you guys have stopped arguing the pros and cons perhaps we could have him at Eastbourne Boro to play alongside his brother. :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here