Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does Elphick never get flack from BHA fans?

Can't blame Slade for what he said. Looked really bad. Francis Laurent had time to make a cup of tea before bringing the ball down and running towards goal

:lolol:

As amusing as that comment is, the reality behind it is sad.
Speaking of reality, since when does a 21-year-old who has been playing pro football for all this time need much more experience to know how to look interested in getting the ball off an opposing striker?
What kind of dream-world is he in, that just appearing in the general vicinity of our area occasionally, to look like an extra bollard to go around, and getting the privilege of a free kick here and there (I can take free kicks Russell, pick me) is a fair enough shift?
Was he distracted because his grandma is getting older, or his girlfriend might be liking what 'Take That' are singing to her on her walkman?

If he hasn't made a certain grade in the English 3rd division by now, then flog him to a Scottish Premier club, now.

Over rated,at fault for 3rd goal.Makes a few f*** ups by being too casual.Potential is there but needs experience along side.The squad needs an experienced,steady,centre half .Never replaced Butters.

Oh yes, Butters. He was our feller that everyone said Tommy was learning so much from when they played together.

Guy was covering for TE and rescuing the boy from embarrassment, but now there's no Guy Butters around, and Whingy isn't available to get stuck in - a passenger looks like a sore thumb strolling around the park taking in the sunshine.

21 years old and still making those mistakes? Ship out to Aldershot to learn his trade, and if he makes the grade there let's maybe take another peek at him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh yes, Butters. He was our feller that everyone said Tommy was learning so much from when they played together.

Guy was covering for TE and rescuing the boy from embarrassment, but now there's no Guy Butters around, and Whingy isn't available to get stuck in - a passenger looks like a sore thumb strolling around the park taking in the sunshine.

21 years old and still making those mistakes? Ship out to Aldershot to learn his trade, and if he makes the grade there let's maybe take another peek at him.

Alternately get in another Tank-type senior pro to marshall the defence. These are still young kids relatively and they're still learning their trade. They would benefit from a bit of guidance.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
As I've been saying for two years now, he's f***ing shit. The reason he doesn't get criticised is because he does the things the idiotic fans like to see. He'll throw himself into tackles and he'll rise to win headers and power the ball away. But any sort of technical confrontation and he's next to useless. He can't track men, he can't mark, he isn't quick, he can't read the game, he can't pass. We are blessed that we have two top-notch centre backs in Virgo and Tunnicliffe so that this waster (hopefully) won't have to play much longer. Because when he does he inevitably lets us down time and time again, not that most people will admit it. And an earlier point is true - had El Abd or Virgo been as pathetic as he was today they'd have had the whole south stand launching a tirade of abuse at them, but because it's the golden boy who runs around like a headless chicken a bit we all applaud him off. My verdict: Get rid asap on a free. He'll never be good enough.

Spot on, exept you forgot the lack of ball control & his role as hoofer in chief

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I just remember how great "Boon" was...

Watching the goal again, as bad as tommy was, el abd step over the ball as it went across the goal and kuipers didn't really dive across the path of the ball. There are so many reasons why that goal shouldn't have happened.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
As I've been saying for two years now, he's f***ing shit. The reason he doesn't get criticised is because he does the things the idiotic fans like to see. He'll throw himself into tackles and he'll rise to win headers and power the ball away. But any sort of technical confrontation and he's next to useless. He can't track men, he can't mark, he isn't quick, he can't read the game, he can't pass. We are blessed that we have two top-notch centre backs in Virgo and Tunnicliffe so that this waster (hopefully) won't have to play much longer. Because when he does he inevitably lets us down time and time again, not that most people will admit it. And an earlier point is true - had El Abd or Virgo been as pathetic as he was today they'd have had the whole south stand launching a tirade of abuse at them, but because it's the golden boy who runs around like a headless chicken a bit we all applaud him off. My verdict: Get rid asap on a free. He'll never be good enough.

Yep...afraid I have to agree with most of this.
I have given Elphick more than enough time to prove that he can become a more solid and consistent performer. Yesterday, my patience ran out and Slade was absolutely right to point the accusing finger. He was shoddy and unprofessional all game and gifted them the winner. Not only that, he missed a clear header in the first half and another good chance in the second.
Slade has clearly made up his mind that he is out of the side now and he may never return.
He is one of a number of players who have graduated from the youth team, showed brief, early promise ( before seasoned pro's work them out ) and then, not ' trained on '
The two most obvious candidates are Robinson and Cox and now Elphick has to be added to this list.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yep...afraid I have to agree with most of this.
I have given Elphick more than enough time to prove that he can become a more solid and consistent performer. Yesterday, my patience ran out and Slade was absolutely right to point the accusing finger. He was shoddy and unprofessional all game and gifted them the winner. Not only that, he missed a clear header in the first half and another good chance in the second.
Slade has clearly made up his mind that he is out of the side now and he may never return.
He is one of a number of players who have graduated from the youth team, showed brief, early promise ( before seasoned pro's work them out ) and then, not ' trained on '
The two most obvious candidates are Robinson and Cox and now Elphick has to be added to this list.

That's all well and good but what I don't want to see is Hawkins back in the team - not under any circumstances.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I wouldn't give up on Elphick just yet - but he could do with some proper coaching. Coppell will be our manager when we run out at Falmer - you heard it here first!

:guns:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Elphick came through the youth team so is immune from getting flack from certain fans, just because he is a local lad doesnt mean he is any good, however some people will still back him.

See Ninja elephants post.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The problem that we have is that neither Elphick or Tunnicliffe are experienced enough and consequently make mistakes and are not able to cover each other. What we are missing is Virgo at centre back as either would be ok alongside of him. I hope that McNulty ot Wright are fit soon so that El Abd can go to right back and V irgo back in the middle, which is his best position and will benefit the defence.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nice work - but since I was NOT anywhere near block G (huh? what a shot in the dark to base a diatribe on!), and I had a perfect view of his walking their attacker to our goal - I'd say he really should be working at Tescos showing people to the cat-food aisle and cleaning up after a dropped yoghurt carton.

He is as much use out there as a waxwork, and yet people leap to criticize anyone else but him.
I'm redressing that balance, and re-dressing that mannequin in a nice outfit for working at a supermarket.

Ah ok, my mistake, I thought that was you. :blush:

I think you're being extremely harsh and short sighted, to be honest, NMH. The tesco nonsense is just rambling for effect, and has nothing to do with anything. He's a good central defender, and that's why he doesn't get singled out for criticism often, though I do hear alot of discontent in the stands. "Walking on water again Elphick" people kept saying, which doesn't really make any sense, but there were sinister undertones in their tone of voice.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The problem that we have is that neither Elphick or Tunnicliffe are experienced enough and consequently make mistakes and are not able to cover each other. What we are missing is Virgo at centre back as either would be ok alongside of him. I hope that McNulty ot Wright are fit soon so that El Abd can go to right back and V irgo back in the middle, which is his best position and will benefit the defence.

Elphick has been playing in the team 4 years now, to suggest he's not experienced enough is absolute rubbish even for you, BG. ???

I agree Virgo needs to be in the centre, we are much stronger with him in there. But El-Abd shouldn't be in the team, I'd have McNulty ideally (Wright until then) and Tunnicliffe at right back, to cover for Whing until he's ready to return.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Huh. After two wins with two clean sheets, people were raving about the centre back pairing of elphick and tunnicliffe, and questionning if Virgo would struggle to keep his place...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that he was Player of The season in his first full season, the season before last. He is still only 21 a mere boy.

To answer Acker 79 I have never doubted that Viorgo is the first choice centre back at the club and is only helping out as afull back. When everybody is fit his partner will be between Elphick and Tunnicliffe but certainly not both of them at the loss of Virgo.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Made his debut in 06/07, player of the season in 07/08, played 08/09 and now we're 09/10, am I right in all those? If so, I count 4 seasons there. I did miscount before though, he's got 3 solid years experience. Personally, I think that's good enough to not consider him inexperienced anymore.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
85 starts in the league, 94 starts in all competitions (According to my additional skills from the official website, the website doesn't record JPT games, so you can add some for that aswell). I would say that is rather experienced. In his 2 full seasons, 39 and 38 starts respectively, personally, I think that's pretty damn good in a 46 game league season.

Do you think that players are inexperienced on 99, but experienced after 100? I don't see the exact number as being relevant, when you consider what the player has experienced in that time. He's had a campaign where we finished 7th, and a campaign where we narrowly avoided relegation. It's been a rollercoaster!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here