Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does Elphick never get flack from BHA fans?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I have to say I didn't see much of him last season following his fantastic "debut" one. But again, I've not been too impressed by his performances in the 3 games I've seen this season. I think sometimes we fans are willing a player to play better than they're actually capable of. And TE might be one of those; shades of Nicky Rust - impressive youngster who's lack of consistency might ultimately see him drop into the non-league.

Big Ernie McCracken

Mar 9, 2009
What the f*** a total injustice to be lambasting our best player. Week in week out he puts in a decent shift and doesn't get the praise he deserves. :wanker:

A good player had a bad week, no need for a witch hunt. Also a couple of posters on the argus saying he goes out drinking before games, total lies, the lad is a dedicated player who needs support not hysterical bollocks

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In terms of his match contribution, his lack of finesse is more than compensated for by his 100% commitment.

This is one of the biggest handicaps in this country. We applaud and nurture effort over talent.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Who says it outweighs? Effort and passion can often compensate for lack of ability and should be recognised and rewarded, and there's nothing wrong with complementing someone who tries. It's not like people are ignoring someone who has natural talent so that they can praise TE's effort and passion.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Its plain obvious why no-one gives Tommy El thick flack. It dosen't take a genius to work out albion fans were once talking this kid up maybe just a tad too much resulting now with loyal opinions of the player rather than honest ones. He's been utter shite ever since he won player of the season and I honestly felt he was the big weakness in our relegation dog fight last season, but yet it seemed no one wanted to give golden balls the stick he needed. 'i'm not gonna slag off my once favourite player' is the mentality of most i guess and I feel its paying off now we're conceding. He's over-rated, clumsey, slow, weak and holds a very poor touch. If i were in charge I wouldn't regret my comments, well done Slade. Now get us a defender, not a crowd pleaser!

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
A good player had a bad week, no need for a witch hunt. Also a couple of posters on the argus saying he goes out drinking before games, total lies, the lad is a dedicated player who needs support not hysterical bollocks

Quite right. What is it with some Albion fans, never happier then when they are slagging off one of our players. Actually seem to prefer this to slagging off opposition players.
He is a good player, still young and still learning. What a surprise he is making mistakes.

Who says it outweighs? Effort and passion can often compensate for lack of ability and should be recognised and rewarded, and there's nothing wrong with complementing someone who tries. It's not like people are ignoring someone who has natural talent so that they can praise TE's effort and passion.

Agreed about effort often compensating for lack of natural ability.
I feel that even if someone is brimming with gifted ability - a lack of application will ultimately stifle or fade it away. "Use it or lose it" being the applicable phrase.
Elphick tends to wander upfield as if he's going to be an asset in the midfield, and then gets bypassed by a simple hoof over the top - and he has NO speed for backtracking OR the timing for a saving tackle.
So there, I wonder what ability he has, if his heart can't make him put more effort to stop an opposing striker than he did last saturday. He hasn't been that obviously exposed much, but now that he has he was woeful.

If we needed midfielders, I'd have to ask how his talent actually suggests he's a good centre? So no, I'll ask if he's a good back, and I'm afraid the answer isn't looking all that good there either. The hope that his free-kicks will *eventually* start hitting the target, is a bit of a vague one. If our players can't hit that target from free-kicks, then the hope and willing from the terraces ain't going to change anything!

Its plain obvious why no-one gives Tommy El thick flack. It dosen't take a genius to work out albion fans were once talking this kid up maybe just a tad too much resulting now with loyal opinions of the player rather than honest ones. He's been utter shite ever since he won player of the season and I honestly felt he was the big weakness in our relegation dog fight last season, but yet it seemed no one wanted to give golden balls the stick he needed. 'i'm not gonna slag off my once favourite player' is the mentality of most i guess and I feel its paying off now we're conceding. He's over-rated, clumsey, slow, weak and holds a very poor touch. If i were in charge I wouldn't regret my comments, well done Slade. Now get us a defender, not a crowd pleaser!

The Truth lives up to the name.
Mr Slade has benched a couple of the Albion youth, and sometimes I think that we could really do with Cox in the middle. His effort is excellent, his ability to hold onto the ball waiting for the right pass is good, he doesn't get flustered in possession and can beat defenders, make and score goals. The suspect part of his game is probably crossing and getting lift on dead-balls, like corners.
It's too much to ask for TE to be the next Mark Lawrenson, the bar would be set too high. But to be the next Andrew Whing might help. Tom was sent off a few weeks ago for a couple of clumsy tackles, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't make another tackle ever again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here