Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do England supporters boo other countries national anthems?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
For the record I love Rugby and can't stand Soul Finger, Liberal hand wringing Softy Walter that he is.

Some of you lot posting here moaning about England fans booing need to wake up, get to a few internationals abroad you might just think otherwise.

Nice one Canned Heat. Thanks for vaildating my argument.

I'm not a liberal but if it differeniates you from I than I will rush out to buy some muesli.

Booing is a complete and utter lack of class - end of.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
And, though I recognise that the team didn't help by being so pedestrian, one notable thing tonight was that the crowd was considerably more noisy in booing the anthem than in getting behind the side for most of the game. If, these days, that's the tribalism, needle and atmosphere that some people on here are on about (and atmosphere is one of the main reasons I go to football rather than watch it on telly) then something's seriously f***ed up.

Boo someone else's anthem lustily and then sit there mute for 90 minutes? f*** that.

Come off it, England home matches have always been a crap atmosphere. There was no needle or atmosphere because it was full of families and corporates, like wembley always is and always has been.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Come off it, England home matches have always been a crap atmosphere. There was no needle or atmosphere because it was full of families and corporates, like wembley always is and always has been.

so how does your argument stand up after a welsh fan was killed last night ?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia

What utter, utter rubbish. I used to go to every England game at Wembley, friendly or competitive, and plenty of them were played in a cracking atmosphere. In any case, what's that got to do with it? I was drawing a comparison between the effort some of the support went to to boo a song, and the lack of effort made to get behind their own team. Which is frankly baffling.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I love a good national anthem. Over the years i've tried to learn as many as I can as I will often sing along to other countries anthems at a sporting event.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
so how does your argument stand up after a welsh fan was killed last night ?

Wasn't that down to his fellow Welshmen? Unless there has been a change in who is thought to be responsible.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
but rather goes against your " it was full of families and corporates, like wembley always is" line tho

Nice one Canned Heat. Thanks for vaildating my argument.

I'm not a liberal but if it differeniates you from I than I will rush out to buy some muesli.

Booing is a complete and utter lack of class - end of.

That's ok I am glad you admit you are a bigot, and you can pick up your muesli on the way home from your cross stitch classes.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk, whilst taking a dump.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I used to watch England regularly in the 80's and I don't think I ever heard a visiting anthem. The point about it then was - it was actually quite funny. Disrepectful of course - but we didn't want them to feel comfortable.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I love a good national anthem. Over the years i've tried to learn as many as I can as I will often sing along to other countries anthems at a sporting event.

This, so many of them are rousing songs, kind of makes up for ours being little more than a dirge...and before anyone goes off on one, I am both patriotic and a Royalist, I just reckon we could have a better National Anthem.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I used to watch England regularly in the 80's and I don't think I ever heard a visiting anthem. The point about it then was - it was actually quite funny. Disrepectful of course - but we didn't want them to feel comfortable.

I suppose you could argue that with our team frequently being so accommodating to the opposition on the pitch the supporters should at least try and get on their backs off it!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What utter, utter rubbish. I used to go to every England game at Wembley, friendly or competitive, and plenty of them were played in a cracking atmosphere. In any case, what's that got to do with it? I was drawing a comparison between the effort some of the support went to to boo a song, and the lack of effort made to get behind their own team. Which is frankly baffling.

What era are we talking here? I did quite a few qualifiers between and including the France '98 and Japan '02 campaigns. Fair enough some of those games the atmosphere was ok, but it's never been particularly intimidating, not compared to club football or some places in europe, that's what I was trying to say (addmittedly didn't explain it well). The only time I can think that it was remotely intimidating was against Scotland in '99.

You can't describe a bit of gentle booing for a couple of minutes at Wembley as hostile, and especially when most of the crowd decides to sit on their hands for the rest of the game.

As for friendlies, been to two and that was enough for me. Kids with horns, fair play to get them involved but not what I'm looking for with the money it costs :nono:

but rather goes against your " it was full of families and corporates, like wembley always is" line tho

See above

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
That's ok I am glad you admit you are a bigot, and you can pick up your muesli on the way home from your cross stitch classes.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk, whilst taking a dump.

A 'bigot'?! For suggesting that booing is devoid of class?!!

You can pick up a dictionary on your way home from your remedial English lesson.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Twatatalk, whilst taking a look at UK literacy levels.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
What era are we talking here?

You can't describe a bit of gentle booing for a couple of minutes at Wembley as hostile, and especially when most of the crowd decides to sit on their hands for the rest of the game.

From about 1992 to about 2000 I went to every England game at Wembley, including the 96 Euros. I'm not saying the atmosphere was hostile necessarily, but it was better than it is now. And I never described 'gentle booing' as hostile. I described it as boorish, atavistic and juvenile. I think people would be better served using their energy to get behind the bloody team, is all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here