Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do England supporters boo other countries national anthems?

Sooty the Thief

Oct 3, 2009
I have been watching England away for 14 years and can guarentee you that EVERY game I have been to (bar tournament games where fans are only a small % of the crowd) the opposing fans have whistled and booed throughout our anthem. Believe it or not we are one of the best behaved sets of fans in Europe right now.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We all sang it at Notts County last season. And no one booed. I expect it was due to the fact that the woman we were all saving was actually in ATTENDANCE.

:lol: :wave:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Sorry, but that is utter rubbish.

When a national anthem is played, it's a two/three-minute window for a team and it's fans to feel proud, and for the opponents to show respect.
Surely, hearing the opponents' fans belting out an anthem is the most atmosphere-inducing thing possible.

But the whole point of it is to be disrespectful. Why do I want to stand in a stadium stood shoulder to shoulder with my own tribe and be respectful to my opponents (in this context obviously) I'm happy for them to do it to us, I say lets all get angry and crank up the atmosphere, that's the buzz of football.

You're right. It is incredibly juvanile. Its a low-IQ right-wing beered-up thing to do.

I've ignored the minute silence comment because it's totally irrelevant and going O/T. Also I'm not sure what politics has got to do with this.

As for low IQ - certainly. If I want to use my brain I'll read a book, go to a museum or watch a documentary. If I want some group mentality and tribalsim I'll spend a few hours in the pub with my mates and my fellow tribesmen and go to the football. And hopefully dish out some stick to the other lot.

For the record I love Rugby and can't stand Soul Finger, Liberal hand wringing Softy Walter that he is.

Some of you lot posting here moaning about England fans booing need to wake up, get to a few internationals abroad you might just think otherwise.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's crap, but then again, I 100% guarantee you that if we ever get to play Scotland again, they will be booing their little tartan hearts out the second GSTQ comes on.
I think the sweaties are a poor example though - they boo GSTQ because the English have nicked the British anthem for themselves. Not that this makes it right, of course. Personally I quite like hearing GSTQ booed anyway, but that is because I think it is f***ing shit. :lolol:

On the wider issue, I agree with most on here that booing foreign anthems for the sake of it is plain embarrassing and the act of a boorish simpleton. There is nothing to be gained from doing it, except to warn others sitting near you that you are one of life's total twats.

Jan 30, 2008
I have been watching England away for 14 years and can guarentee you that EVERY game I have been to (bar tournament games where fans are only a small % of the crowd) the opposing fans have whistled and booed throughout our anthem. Believe it or not we are one of the best behaved sets of fans in Europe right now.
that's because England are followed by middle class jumping on the band wagon camera flashing paint facing fans .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I posted on the wrong thread but they will play Land of Our Fathers for the sheepshaggers but what for us. It should be only GSTQ for both as that is the National Anthem of both as we are all British

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

Think you might be just about right with the last bit, there has been football related violence in quite a few countries in recent years...Euro 2012 in Poland and the Ukraine will probably serve as a rallying call for the worst of them.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
Anyone, no matter what country you are from, who doesn't stand up and show respect during a national anthem is an uneducated, and highly disrespectful human being.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I posted on the wrong thread but they will play Land of Our Fathers for the sheepshaggers but what for us. It should be only GSTQ for both as that is the National Anthem of both as we are all British

You are absolutely correct, it is a British anthem, and England should use something slightly more uplifting than GSTQ.

The reason the Jocks always booed is down to the words, not the one verse we see and hear now, but if you look in the original and unabridged words then you will understand.

By the way I wholly disagree with any fans booing another countrie's National Anthem.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yeah I meant to say England football supporters, we don't at other sporting events only football
Rugby fans are very courteous

Well not every footie fan boos the opponents national anthem so it's a bit of a generalisation. As for Rugby fans, it easy for them as they follow a minority sport but I get fed up with some of them and their supercilious attitude about the two sports and the oft repeated description that football is a gentle sport played by ruffians and rugby a ruff sport played by gentlemen. I'm trying to recall the last time a footballer got banned for wedging his thumb into the eye socket of an opponent pinned to the floor under a heap of other players!

Neither sport is perfect but there is no shadow of a doubt that football is by far the more popular.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here