Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do England supporters boo other countries national anthems?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Most other countries do it all the time. You will find we tend to only do it for the home nations Germany and a few others.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Personally I quite like hearing GSTQ booed anyway, but that is because I think it is f***ing shit. :lolol:

This. Doesn't refer to England whatsoever and I despise the monarchy, but that aside, I don't know why we can't have a Royal anthem and a separate National anthem (e.g. Jersualem), like other constitutional monarchies such as Sweden and Denmark do.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Some may boo and some stand "respectfully", each pander to bellicose patriotism in their own way. Much better to have 22 blokes chasing a pigskin about ocaisionaly kicking lumps out of each other than open warfare.

Its a typical English middle class thing to validate themselves by looking down and sneering at others who wont do things their way. No suprise simster is one of them.

IF you want to treat it like a variant of "Triumph of the will" then fine, if you want to treat it like a pantomime booing the baddies then fine, if you just want to STFU and watch the footie then thats fine to.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Why do England supporters boo other countries national anthems?

Tiny brains.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Most other countries do it all the time. You will find we tend to only do it for the home nations Germany and a few others.

Admittedly a few years now but I have been to 3 England games (all at the old Wembley) - against those massive rivals Brazil, Norway and Ukraine. Massively loud booing at all of them, although like I said this was a few years back.

Also, been to dozens and dozens of Ireland games and never heard a single supporter boo the opposition anthem. Been to a few Wales games (not against England) and never heard it. Also been to quite a few Ireland away games and never heard our anthem booed.

I'm not trying to antagonise, but to say that most teams do it, or that England only do it against rivals, in my (relatively limited) experience of international football are both false statements.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some may boo and some stand "respectfully", each pander to bellicose patriotism in their own way. Much better to have 22 blokes chasing a pigskin about ocaisionaly kicking lumps out of each other than open warfare.

Its a typical English middle class thing to validate themselves by looking down and sneering at others who wont do things their way. No suprise simster is one of them.

IF you want to treat it like a variant of "Triumph of the will" then fine, if you want to treat it like a pantomime booing the baddies then fine, if you just want to STFU and watch the footie then thats fine to.
So in other words, you're saying absolutely nothing, except having a pop at me. You're so boring that I had forgotten that you ever came back, until I saw your childish neg repping obviously. Hopefully you'll get bored and f*** off again soon.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
So in other words, you're saying absolutely nothing, except having a pop at me. You're so boring that I had forgotten that you ever came back, until I saw your childish neg repping obviously. Hopefully you'll get bored and f*** off again soon.

Yea I had a little dig at you, dont worry, its not the end of the world.:lol:

What I was saying is it doesn't really matter if you cheer or boo or do neither. Both groups are endulging in forms of patriotism. Its just the sanctimonious bullshit that I'm having a dig at, which you are often the cheerleader for.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I find it hugely disrespectful
I can half see why we do it against Germany and Scotland and the like although I still wouldn't do it myself
But we do it against every single team
We used to be a courteous nation
If I wasn't English I would have no respect whatsoever towards our fans and our country
Boo all you like during the game but not during the national anthem
So can anyone explain why we boo?

I would like to think that some England fans do it to generate disquiet amongst the many small cocked feverish mastabators with their trite supercilious dispositions who reside on this message boards.

I suspect if the booers were middle class Charlie Gilmour types who would explain that their booing was actually an ironic protest against patriotism in all its forms, many of the bedwetters on here would happily support the practice of booing national anthems.

Still that's diversity for you..............happy honeker.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yea I had a little dig at you, dont worry, its not the end of the world.:lol:

What I was saying is it doesn't really matter if you cheer or boo or do neither. Both groups are endulging in forms of patriotism. Its just the sanctimonious bullshit that I'm having a dig at, which you are often the cheerleader for.
You confuse sanctimony with respect. No surprise for someone as confused as yourself really.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Also, been to dozens and dozens of Ireland games and never heard a single supporter boo the opposition anthem. Been to a few Wales games (not against England) and never heard it. Also been to quite a few Ireland away games and never heard our anthem booed.

Never heard the sometimes quite large contingents of "away" fans (When playing countries with lots of immigrants to Ireland, e.g. Brazil, Poland) in Dublin booing our anthem either

The fact that very few people sing it doesn't help matters though.

I can remember a Rangers player getting some level of undue hassle while playing, mind, but thats as close as its got.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
You confuse sanctimony with respect. No surprise for someone as confused as yourself really.

no, in your way no doubt you are showing respect to the other teams anthem, maybe even the French Anthem that includes lines like fertilizing fields with foreigners blood. What I am objecting to is the pompous hypocracy of you and others attempting to take the moral high ground with those that boo. Its a football match not an amnesty International rally. Maybe you would be happier sitting at home watching it on the TV with the volume off?

no suprise youve started getting bitchy now ive blown the wind out of your sails.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Oh and not forgetting the England team respecting the German anthem in may 1938 by giving the nazi salute.

ARSEhapgood1.jpg

Now Ive broken Godwins law by envoking the Nazis means this threads over, but dont let me stop your hypocritical bitching if you all must.

Its about respect? ahahahahaha f*** off.

I don't know if my indifference towards any and all the anthems played is noticed in the crowds - I always hope there'd be many who take it as a huge slight and report me to those awful steward types.

I recall upsetting some at a Uriah Heep gig at The Dome, when the singer told everyone to "stand up" and "clap", conspicuous in remaining seated.
I believe it was my making a stand by not standing, that actually started punk, and anarchy.

Keyser Söze

Jul 21, 2010
I can't beleive this is supposed to be a forum for football fans. 'oooh stop booing national anthems you will upset someone. Stop being so howibble!'

For the grudge teams like Ireland, Turkey, Germany, Argentina and the home nations it is going to happen on both sides. Can't beleive some people are genuinely getting upset about it. Beleive me far worse things have been inflicted by England fans and vice versa over the years than f***ing booing national anthems. Sakes.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Having got in not long ago from Wembley, a couple of observations:

Validating, excusing or just shrugging it off because 'they did it to ours' or 'other countries to it' is no less juvenile than the booing in the first place.

And, though I recognise that the team didn't help by being so pedestrian, one notable thing tonight was that the crowd was considerably more noisy in booing the anthem than in getting behind the side for most of the game. If, these days, that's the tribalism, needle and atmosphere that some people on here are on about (and atmosphere is one of the main reasons I go to football rather than watch it on telly) then something's seriously f***ed up.

Boo someone else's anthem lustily and then sit there mute for 90 minutes? f*** that.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Agree, its a complete disgrace I had some dickheads in front of me booing and some northern bastard who also thought he was a professional coach behind me whistling through it..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here