Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do England supporters boo other countries national anthems?

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I find it hugely disrespectful
I can half see why we do it against Germany and Scotland and the like although I still wouldn't do it myself
But we do it against every single team
We used to be a courteous nation
If I wasn't English I would have no respect whatsoever towards our fans and our country
Boo all you like during the game but not during the national anthem
So can anyone explain why we boo?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I find it hugely disrespectful
I can half see why we do it against Germany and Scotland and the like although I still wouldn't do it myself
But we do it against every single team
We used to be a courteous nation
If I wasn't English I would have no respect whatsoever towards our fans and our country
Boo all you like during the game but not during the national anthem
So can anyone explain why we boo?

They don't at rugby,..... a sport who's fans are much abused and derided by most people on this site.

I agree it's massively embarrasing.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Boorish, atavistic, juvenile and can only ever either make no difference or actually be counter-productive, IMHO. We must look like complete cocks to anybody watching when we do that - like a bunch of under-9s at the bloody panto.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
They don't at rugby,..... a sport who's fans are much abused and derided by most people on this site.

I agree it's massively embarrasing.

Yeah I meant to say England football supporters, we don't at other sporting events only football
Rugby fans are very courteous

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Boorish, atavistic, juvenile and can only ever either make no difference or actually be counter-productive, IMHO. We must look like complete cocks to anybody watching when we do that - like a bunch of under-9s at the bloody panto.

Pretty much this, the people who do it probably have little respect for themselves, let alone anyone else.

I expect the Welsh anthem to be roundly booed tonight, by that knuckle-dragging element who do it regardless of the opposition, which is really sad as when sung properly it is one of the most rousing and moving songs.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Er MOST countries do it....... f***ing hell are you Henry Winter ?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Er MOST countries do it.......

Which is a good point.

I don't get why people get so worked up by it to be honest. Football is tribal, it's us against the world and sod everyone else. It's no different to Brighton singing anti palace songs.

It might be incredibly juvanile but I'd rather football kept it's edge with things like this, if you want an atmosphere where everone gets on, holds hands and has group hugs all round then it already exists at Rugby.

it doesn't seem to happen as much anymore.

It will happen tonight, the Welsh drowned out God Save The Queen in Cardiff and it will be "payed back" and I say this as a man fiercely patriotic about my Welsh half.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Which is a good point.

I don't get why people get so worked up by it to be honest. Football is tribal, it's us against the world and sod everyone else. It's no different to Brighton singing anti palace songs.

It might be incredibly juvanile but I'd rather football kept it's edge with things like this, if you want an atmosphere where everone gets on, holds hands and has group hugs all round then it already exists at Rugby.

Absolutely, although you forget this is NSC the home of the soft and offended

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Which is a good point.

Sorry, but that is utter rubbish.

When a national anthem is played, it's a two/three-minute window for a team and it's fans to feel proud, and for the opponents to show respect.

Singing anti-Palace songs is an organic reaction to disliking the opposition constantly. It's a town v town thing. And, more importantly, it's during the game.

Again, not true.

See my point above.

Surely, hearing the opponents' fans belting out an anthem is the most atmosphere-inducing thing possible.

Hearing our boorish, thick-necked simpletons boo an anthem just makes me cringe and it's embarrassing.

For the record, I can't stand rugby fans.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Er MOST countries do it....... f***ing hell are you Henry Winter ?

Most countries don't do it though, i'm pretty certain we started it this and other countries have followed suite but not so vociferously as England supporters
I like football being tense, noisy and on the edge and all the rest of it but I see no reason why national anthems can't be respected

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Most countries don't do it though, i'm pretty certain we started it this and other countries have followed suite but not so vociferously as England supporters
I like football being tense, noisy and on the edge and all the rest of it but I see no reason why national anthems can't be respected

Easy to knock but we no way started this. We were probably one of the last to do this

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

It might be incredibly juvanile but I'd rather football kept it's edge with things like this

You're right. It is incredibly juvanile. Its a low-IQ right-wing beered-up thing to do. Would it really hurt to respect another country's anthem in the same way as, say, a minutes silence? Still, same twats wouldn't respect that either. They're plenty good at DEMANDING respect even if they're rarely deserving of any.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's crap, but then again, I 100% guarantee you that if we ever get to play Scotland again, they will be booing their little tartan hearts out the second GSTQ comes on.

Personally, I find it more annoying that they insist on having a "celebrity" to sing the national anthems these days. I think it's an American thing that for some unknown reason has caught on here with those who make such decisions. Why can't we just have the band like it used to be? I don't need Katherine Jenkins, lovely though I'm sure she is, or Russell Watson, or anyone else to sing it.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
It's crap, but then again, I 100% guarantee you that if we ever get to play Scotland again, they will be booing their little tartan hearts out the second GSTQ comes on.

Personally, I find it more annoying that they insist on having a "celebrity" to sing the national anthems these days. I think it's an American thing that for some unknown reason has caught on here with those who make such decisions. Why can't we just have the band like it used to be? I don't need Katherine Jenkins, lovely though I'm sure she is, or Russell Watson, or anyone else to sing it.

We all sang it at Notts County last season. And no one booed. I expect it was due to the fact that the woman we were all saving was actually in ATTENDANCE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here