Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why aren't the mods doing their job?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What was pathetic was the excuse used for not reporting the issue.

As for not knowing about the red triangle, did you know that you can private message the moderators? and other members if need be.

I've only ever reported one post before, and did so by PMing El Pres, who I found to be very fair-minded in that instance.

I hadn't particularly noticed that there was a red triangle at the bottom of each post, and whenever I saw it, I didn't twig that it was how to report a post. I must say, it doesn't appear to be that obvious, which may or may not be down to me.

From this thread, it has become clear is that the moderators are relying on the forum users more than some forum users thought. So, in the interest of clarity and good housekeeping, I am requesting that the page North Stand Chat - FAQ: General Forum Usage be a bit more specific and show the icon, and state it's at the bottom of each post, rather than just stating:

What if I see something offensive?

You will find 'Report' links in many places throughout the board. These links allow you to alert the board staff to anything which you find to be offensive, objectionable or illegal.

By the way, I think the moderators generally do an excellent job.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Frankly if you don't like the way this board is then you can (choose whatever expletive you like as long as it doesn't give you a need to burst into tears) off !

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
What was pathetic was the excuse used for not reporting the issue.

So what you are saying is that we have a forum that is only moderated when people complain? If that's the case, then fair enough. My mistake, I assumed that the mods would actually moderate instead of just deleting on request.

If you would like someone who is proactive instead of reactive, I'd be happy to help. As would others, I'm sure, who are getting fed up with people taking this place into the gutter.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So what you are saying is that we have a forum that is only moderated when people complain? If that's the case, then fair enough. My mistake, I assumed that the mods would actually moderate instead of just deleting on request.

I know you're not replying to me, specifically, here but you're also ignoring where I've said the complete opposite to the above.

As you seem to be struggling with what I'm saying, I'll try to be explicit again:

- Proactive moderation does occur.
- Reactive moderation also occurs.
- Users can choose to report every single post on the board to trigger reactive moderation.
- Every reported post will be subject to moderator scrutiny as soon as possible, generally within a couple of minutes.
- Just because a post is reported, it does not mean any active moderation of either the content or the user who published the content will take place. A judgement will be taken, often after discussion between several moderators.

I want NSC to be enjoyed by as many people as possible but I also know that it simply is not possible to please all of the people all of the time and, on occasion, people may not like some content. They may be so unhappy that they leave NSC and don't come back. I don't like it when that occurs but, again, I have to be realistic and accept it will happen from time to time.

All metrics I use indicate that NSC is only getting more popular, not less. So, believe it or not, there must be more right here than wrong.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If you would like someone who is proactive instead of reactive, I'd be happy to help. As would others, I'm sure, who are getting fed up with people taking this place into the gutter.

I,m rather fond of this "gutter" forum, for all it's faults, and would prefer it to remain just as it is.

Brightonfans com is the place for you.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Keep up the good work Bozza. 99% of the people on here appreciate your superb efforts mate.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I can see the point about offensive thread titles but as for the content of threads blue language does not bother me at all. Neither does discussions about sex. We are all the same. We all do the same. We all have sex ( well some of us ), we all have a piss , we all have a crap and we all fart. Lets not be too precious. Words have never bothered me, actions are more important in people. If you don't like it get out of the thread.

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
I know you're not replying to me, specifically here, but you're also ignoring where I've said the complete opposite to the above.

As you seem to be struggling with what I'm saying, I'll try to be explicit again:

- Proactive moderation does occur.
- Reactive moderation also occurs.
- Users can choose to report every single post on the board to trigger reactive moderation.
- Every reported post will be subject to moderator scrutiny as soon as possible, generally within a couple of minutes.
- Just because a post is reported, it does not mean any active moderation of either the content or the user who published the content will take place. A judgement will be taken, often after discussion between several moderators.

I want NSC to be enjoyed by as many people as possible but I also know that it simply is not possible to please all of the people all of the time and, on occasion, people may not like some content. They may be so unhappy that they leave NSC and don't come back. I don't like it when that happens but, again, and have to be realistic and accept it will. I'm really not sure why so many people have had difficulty understanding that.

All metrics I use indicate that NSC is only getting more popular, not less. So, believe it or not, there must be more right here than wrong.

If you've said that earlier then I missed it amongst all the rest and I apologise. That is exactly what I assumed was the intention for NSC (it used to be the case), and I agree with you 100%. I felt, though, that this wasn't actually happening, and yesterday's thread seemed to prove the point. If my post has served as something of a wake-up call then I'm happy. What I'm not so impressed with are all the responses from mods who implied they only take action if a complaint is made.

As for the increasing traffic, that is good. Most of us put up with the gutter stuff on here, whether we like it or not. I think I made it quite clear my complaint wasn't about the content, it was about THREAD TITLES, which used to be respected.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You sound a bit pompous to be honest.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As for the increasing traffic, that is good. Most of us put up with the gutter stuff on here, whether we like it or not. I think I made it quite clear my complaint wasn't about the content, it was about THREAD TITLES, which used to be respected.

Gotcha. I just classify it all as content (or UGC as seems to be the term nowadays) - thread tiles, posts, user set titles, avatars, signatures and links to stuff from other sites. All stuff that a user can input into NSC that is visible to others. It can all serve to offend and consideration is required before committing anything into the ether.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
No wonder we dont see you at the poker table Boz, dealing with all this shit

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
Gotcha. I just classify it all as content (or UGC as seems to be the term nowadays) - thread tiles, posts, user set titles, avatars, signatures and links to stuff from other sites.

I wouldn't expect mods to deal with CONTENT that hasn't been reported. I rarely report posts, I just ignore them or tell them what I think. But titles can be a real problem. It used to be that you could open the Big Board any time to see if we'd signed a new player etc because people kept the thread titles safe for everyone. Now it is a gamble.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Why aren't the mods doing their job? Because oddly enough its not their day job.

You want to access NSC at work, you do it at your own risk aye?

Have to say "this". If you work for a big company who will check your internet usage for words, etc, then the risk is down to you. I work for a big company, who are soon to be removing access to personal email, and I never look at NSC while working..... because I am working funnily enough.

Yes I have breaks, and yes I do try to do a few bits of internet banking etc, but ever since my internet usage for a week was dumped in front of me during an unofficial warning which was MASSIVE as it showed every single page change, including ad's, I've thought it best to limit what I look at.

so now I use my phone and take long toilet breaks instead and do the squat and surf.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Have to say "this". If you work for a big company who will check your internet usage for words, etc, then the risk is down to you. I work for a big company, who are soon to be removing access to personal email, and I never look at NSC while working..... because I am working funnily enough.

Yes I have breaks, and yes I do try to do a few bits of internet banking etc, but ever since my internet usage for a week was dumped in front of me during an unofficial warning which was MASSIVE as it showed every single page change, including ad's, I've thought it best to limit what I look at.

so now I use my phone and take long toilet breaks instead and do the squat and surf.

Blimey!! that sounds quite draconian. Most companies have firewalls to certain obvious sites but like mine allow you to browse the net at leisure as long as it's within reason. Be horrendous to have that slapped in front of you a la "Mr Bond, we've been watching you for some time now and......" :ohmy:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I am 'biased' against anyone who makes idiotic posts.

If you want to hire and fire mods, start your own message board.

If you,re biased against ANYONE who makes idiotic posts (in your opinion) you must be biased against a lot of posters on this forum...!

That really is your problem you see.......you,re biased.......(surely not the best trait of a moderator).

Personally I think you,re a vindictive twat.............just a matter of opinion of course, so I won,t ask for you to be banned. A simple, but honourable resignation from you, will do for me.

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
I wouldn't have thought that was a difficult question for you to find an answer to. It is rather obvious what people would have said if I had, which is something I learned long ago.

Get a f***ing life. I love minge and that's what brings me to this site. Top threads with stunning women which I often bang one out over.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you,re biased against ANYONE who makes idiotic posts (in your opinion) you must be biased against a lot of posters on this forum...!

That really is your problem you see.......you,re biased.......(surely not the best trait of a moderator).

Personally I think you,re a vindictive twat.............just a matter of opinion of course, so I won,t ask for you to be banned. A simple, but honourable resignation from you, will do for me.

If I were you, I'd give this crusade up now.

e77 is a personal friend of mine and I was delighted when he accepted my invitation to help out with moderating on NSC knowing, as I do, that he's a decent chap who will always try and do the right thing.

Like all of us I'm sure he may have got it wrong sometimes, but we're all human so it comes with the territory I'm afraid. As long as a moderator is seeking to do the best for our wider community then I will continue to stand by them.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
If I were you, I'd give this crusade up now.

e77 is a personal friend of mine.

Like all of us I'm sure he may have got it wrong sometimes, ....blah,blah,blah.......I will continue to stand by them.

oh............a personal friend..............OK that,s alright then.

Any other personal friends of yours we should know about , so we can understand there right to be vindictive and biased..............cos they are your personal friends.....?.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here